Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:38 AM

5 posts, read 12,586 times

Advertisements

Francis Newman

Full details on Oaklawn Plantation can be found here. The home referred to as "Quietdale" is the plantation home next to Lee High School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 01:08 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roustus View Post
The home on Meridian street was known as Oaklawn and was the home of John and Caroline (Otey) Robinson in the mid 1800's. They are buried in the northwest corner of Maple Hill near Governors Bibb and Chapman. Their tombstone mentions that they were "Owners of Oaklawn"

There are some photos, drawings and a description of the place at the link below that was made back in the 1930's as part of the Historic American Buildings Survey.

Robinson-Dillworth House, 2709 Meridian Pike, Huntsville vicinity, Madison County, AL

Would this be the same Otey family that owned Greenlawn Plantation at Meridianville, the house in front of the subdivision?

Old 01-31-2010, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 7,057 times
It is the same Otey family. A little fuzzy family history:

Walter & Mary (Walton) Otey came to Huntsville in the early 1800s. Walter was owner of the Bell Tavern, located just off the courthouse square in downtown Huntsville. Somewhere along the way they came into possession of the property just south of Meridianville, where Greenlawn subdivision is now located. Walter died in 1823 - long before the Greenlawn plantation home was built. Among their many children (9):

Caroline Otey married John Robinson and settled at Oaklawn.

Mary Frances Otey married James Robinson, brother to John. My understanding is that James Robinson built Forestfield, a home located on Meridian St. somewhere between John Robinson's Oaklawn and Oakwood Ave. Forestfield was burned during the Civil War.

Lucy Anne Otey married Rodah Horton. Rodah Horton had extensive land holdings but at some point built a house on Meridian St., just north of Robinson's Oaklawn and Hwy 72. I've seen mention of some letters from Lucy from a place called China Grove but am not sure if this house was it. This house was also surveyed by HABS (link below). This house was in pretty bad condition during the time of the Survey (1930s) and doubt it is still standing. Going way back to the start of this thread, my best guess is that this Horton house was just south of the Green Bottom Inn.

William Madison Otey married Octavia Aurelia Wyche and built the Greenlawn home that you see today just south of Merdianville. The Greenlawn home and surrounding property remained in the family until the late 1980's or early 1990's, I can't remember right now. This is my family connection. The Greenlawn home was also surveyed by HABS (link below).

I've read that Quietdale was built by William Robinson's widow (I don't know her name). I don't really know anything about this place. Since it is located practically across the street from Oaklawn, I've always assumed that William Robinson was a brother to John and James.

These families were connected with much of the early social and political history of Huntsville. Walk around John Robinson's grave in Maple Hill and you will see the intertwining of family names (Robinson, Otey, Pleasants, Figures, Bibb, etc.). Rodah Horton was an especially intriguing fellow, involved in much of the business affairs of early Huntsville.

HABS links:
Greenlawn - Greenlawn, U.S. Highway 431 (Memorial Parkway), Huntsville vicinity, Madison County, AL
Oaklawn - Robinson-Dillworth House, 2709 Meridian Pike, Huntsville vicinity, Madison County, AL
Horton place - McCracken House, Meridian Pike, Huntsville vicinity, Madison County, AL

Last edited by Roustus; 01-31-2010 at 12:57 AM..

Old 01-31-2010, 05:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
It is the same Otey family. A little fuzzy family history:

Walter & Mary (Walton) Otey came to Huntsville in the early 1800s. Walter was owner of the Bell Tavern, located just off the courthouse square in downtown Huntsville. Somewhere along the way they came into possession of the property just south of Meridianville, where Greenlawn subdivision is now located. Walter died in 1823 - long before the Greenlawn plantation home was built. Among their many children (9):

Caroline Otey married John Robinson and settled at Oaklawn.

Mary Frances Otey married James Robinson, brother to John. My understanding is that James Robinson built Forestfield, a home located on Meridian St. somewhere between John Robinson's Oaklawn and Oakwood Ave. Forestfield was burned during the Civil War.

Lucy Anne Otey married Rodah Horton. Rodah Horton had extensive land holdings but at some point built a house on Meridian St., just north of Robinson's Oaklawn and Hwy 72. I've seen mention of some letters from Lucy from a place called China Grove but am not sure if this house was it. This house was also surveyed by HABS (link below). This house was in pretty bad condition during the time of the Survey (1930s) and doubt it is still standing. Going way back to the start of this thread, my best guess is that this Horton house was just south of the Green Bottom Inn.

William Madison Otey married Octavia Aurelia Wyche and built the Greenlawn home that you see today just south of Merdianville. The Greenlawn home and surrounding property remained in the family until the late 1980's or early 1990's, I can't remember right now. This is my family connection. The Greenlawn home was also surveyed by HABS (link below).

I've read that Quietdale was built by William Robinson's widow (I don't know her name). I don't really know anything about this place. Since it is located practically across the street from Oaklawn, I've always assumed that William Robinson was a brother to John and James.

These families were connected with much of the early social and political history of Huntsville. Walk around John Robinson's grave in Maple Hill and you will see the intertwining of family names (Robinson, Otey, Pleasants, Figures, Bibb, etc.). Rodah Horton was an especially intriguing fellow, involved in much of the business affairs of early Huntsville.

HABS links:
Greenlawn - Greenlawn, U.S. Highway 431 (Memorial Parkway), Huntsville vicinity, Madison County, AL
Oaklawn - Robinson-Dillworth House, 2709 Meridian Pike, Huntsville vicinity, Madison County, AL
Horton place - McCracken House, Meridian Pike, Huntsville vicinity, Madison County, AL
Wow. Thanks for the detailed history. Hope you continue to post.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
More interesting stuff:

Insurance map gives detailed look at 1890 Madison - al.com

Old 02-10-2010, 11:52 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,907 times
Great source for old maps.....

Alabama Maps

Old 02-18-2010, 07:37 PM

I had to go to Lee High School Thursday and drove by the "Quietdale" Plantation home. In its heyday this house must have been absolutely fabulous. It appears to be occupied, but is quiet rundown. I know a total renovation would cost large dollars, but this house is a masterpiece.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
The home on Meridian street was known as Oaklawn and was the home of John and Caroline (Otey) Robinson in the mid 1800's. They are buried in the northwest corner of Maple Hill near Governors Bibb and Chapman. Their tombstone mentions that they were "Owners of Oaklawn"

There are some photos, drawings and a description of the place at the link below that was made back in the 1930's as part of the Historic American Buildings Survey.

Robinson-Dillworth House, 2709 Meridian Pike, Huntsville vicinity, Madison County, AL

Is this the same "Dillworth" that used to a lumberyard here in Huntsville?

Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,017 times
The house you described would not be the Green Bottom Inn.
Here is the Alabama Mosaic entry on the Green Bottom Inn:
Huntsville Madison County Public Library : Item Viewer
It is now gone but the location is where A&M campus now stands.
I might be able to get info on the house you described. I think it might be on the list of historic sites. Not too many people notice it because it is so hidden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area