Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Hyperbole about unlikely happenings aren't helpful...

...and I second the part about you not ever knowing who's reading, or posting, on these forums! Madison County isn't THAT big...
Let see...

Dept of Homeland Security
FBI counter-terrorist unit
Army Intelligence
.... plus the bad guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:49 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
I actually do see a minor potential for a terror event in any small town/big town having lived in an area where we actively had "shelter in place" drills. Basically they were the same as the tornado drills except the kids had to have clothing in the school they could change into should a nutball blow up a truck while on I50 on the way to the airport. We always felt it would be a pretty stupid person who made a mistake and took a wrong turn should it happen in our area. We did have a scientist, a nuclear physicist with inside connections, do a mock up of the way the cloud of poison would dissipate over the territory/area and basically learned that if the kids were outside in their "learning cottages" no amount of "shelter in place" would matter as they'd be dead in a few minutes.

Would that happen if a gas station/convenience store came into the area? Probably not. And I certainly wouldn't make that argument IN PERSON. I have a pretty solid idea as to who reads these posts and forums (in fact I believe one of you got my vote based on this forum -- hmmmm), but my point isn't to reach people who live here. It is to reach people who are planning to move here from out of state. If I can let the newbie, wants to move here, or HAS to move in here person know that all is not as FORBES paints it in the magazine, I've accomplished my goal.

I read these posts to get a feel for way the people "I may never know who reads" this forum really think. And quite frankly, I see the writing on the wall. Saw it at the meeting as well. There probably isn't much we can do to sway a council or board who is already counting $$$ on that corner for their upcoming expansions of roads. I get it. The council needs money. We're on a corner that has a potential for making money. Deals have already been made. I know. But there's the rub. Why even ask for a hearing if our objections won't be heard because they cannot overrule the mighty dollar?

Whatever. The game's not over yet. And I have other ways of making an impact.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Madison City Council sets hearings on property tax, two controversial rezonings | Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com

Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Ionlife, have you been handing out fliers?

Looks like the noise is paying off...sounds like the GOBs may be listening...or feeling a little pressure.

Glad the see The Times mentioning it.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
There probably isn't much we can do to sway a council or board who is already counting $$$ on that corner for their upcoming expansions of roads. I get it. The council needs money. We're on a corner that has a potential for making money.
Ponying up $50k every year to the City to make up for the loss of the projected $30-$40k tax revenue? If tax money were all they cared about, this move should do it: "here's $50k, don't grant the rezoning. See you next year". But maybe the City coffers stand to lose more than that.

Quote:
Deals have already been made. I know. But there's the rub. Why even ask for a hearing if our objections won't be heard because they cannot overrule the mighty dollar?
Why do companies advertise a job that has already been filled (promised)?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:53 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Ionlife, have you been handing out fliers?

Looks like couple members here participated in the link

Quote:
Spencer told the council that someone has been distributing anonymous fliers spreading wrong information about the residential zoning request. The residential zoning would be for single-family homes, not for apartments as the fliers say, he said.
Quote:
Posted by ucsb1996
December 29, 2009, 7:31AM
This a really hot topic on the Huntsville/Madison City-Data forum.

Posted by aquayumm
December 29, 2009, 8:26AM
Did Obama put the council up to just making property owners pay. Why not give my kids the authority to set the referendum, and if anyone thinks it's just going to cost 65 million dollars to build a high school...well they're probably a member of the council...and is there anything in the rezoning requist to stop apartments from being built ??...I don't think so...it will happen.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:57 PM

38 posts, read 92,760 times
I believe you are doing those "newbies" a big disservice by portraying this very ordinary piece of city business as shady and underhanded. I'm not sure what else they can do to let your voice be heard (other than a planning and zoning meeting, a city council meeting, a public forum, and yet another P&Z meeting and city council meeting).

I'm very pleased with the way our city leaders are handling the public funds. The Engineering Department by itself is enough to win me over.

Edit: Then again, maybe we don't need all those new folks in, then we might need even more gas stations!

Quote:
I actually do see a minor potential for a terror event in any small town/big town having lived in an area where we actively had "shelter in place" drills. Basically they were the same as the tornado drills except the kids had to have clothing in the school they could change into should a nutball blow up a truck while on I50 on the way to the airport. We always felt it would be a pretty stupid person who made a mistake and took a wrong turn should it happen in our area. We did have a scientist, a nuclear physicist with inside connections, do a mock up of the way the cloud of poison would dissipate over the territory/area and basically learned that if the kids were outside in their "learning cottages" no amount of "shelter in place" would matter as they'd be dead in a few minutes.

Would that happen if a gas station/convenience store came into the area? Probably not. And I certainly wouldn't make that argument IN PERSON. I have a pretty solid idea as to who reads these posts and forums (in fact I believe one of you got my vote based on this forum -- hmmmm), but my point isn't to reach people who live here. It is to reach people who are planning to move here from out of state. If I can let the newbie, wants to move here, or HAS to move in here person know that all is not as FORBES paints it in the magazine, I've accomplished my goal.

I read these posts to get a feel for way the people "I may never know who reads" this forum really think. And quite frankly, I see the writing on the wall. Saw it at the meeting as well. There probably isn't much we can do to sway a council or board who is already counting $$$ on that corner for their upcoming expansions of roads. I get it. The council needs money. We're on a corner that has a potential for making money. Deals have already been made. I know. But there's the rub. Why even ask for a hearing if our objections won't be heard because they cannot overrule the mighty dollar?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area