Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,795 times

Advertisements

We were driving yesterday and passed a VERY interesting house or more like a castle painted in beautiful colors and obviously old on Kildare St. near Oakwood. Does anyone know its history? There was no historical marker and there were no tresspassing signs. The grounds were kept up. It is in the Dallas Mill section I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:57 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,795 times
Sorry!!! Just found the old thread about ti and boy it is an interesting and beautiful place. Would love to tour it.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,656 times
Check Huntsville Time achives they ran an article a few years ago about this special house.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:47 PM

339 posts, read 1,166,751 times
That is the Kildare - McCormick house. It is beautiful - I don't know who owns is just now. It is listed with the national history places.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:14 AM

5 posts, read 12,585 times
It is owned by a local designer. The home was built in the 1880's by Michael O'Shaughnessy, a cottonseed oil entrepreneur. O'Shaughnessy & his brother were instrumental in taking Huntsville from simple cotton growing into textiles.

O'Shaughnessy later sold the property to the trust fund of Mary Virginia McCormick, daughter of Cyrus McCormick (the inventor of the cotton reaper), who used it as a summer residence. This is why the property originally called Kildare is more commonly referred to by local Huntsvillians as the "McCormick Mansion" or "McCormick castle". The acreage was subdivided by subsequent owners, so the legal descriptions for the surrounding homes is "Kildare" subdivision.

It has approximately 17,000 sqft and some of the most spectacular woodwork I have ever seen. One of my company's specialties is representing historic properties, so I have an opportunity to see some gorgeous homes. This one is near the top of the list for craftsmanship, though it needs a lot of renovation.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:41 AM

339 posts, read 1,166,751 times
I hope that the home is restored and included in the home tours - I have wanted to see inside that house since we first discovered it.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:04 PM

11 posts, read 42,769 times
OMG! Now I know she is crazy. I live in the neighborhood and she has followed people to my house and ranting about them blowing a horn or listening to music too loud. She was again ranting about just wanting to be left alone. She screamed she has video of those she has followed to my house claiming they were harassing her. Taking video or pictures of someone without their permission is illegal. That I know for sure. Reading these replies provides me with information to keep my family and myself safe from her. Problem is I have to drive by there every day. I plan to ask the residents in the apts next to her if they have problems with her. She has some serious issues. Everyone keep me posted on what happens to you. I am starting a log to track all this. I am fearful something bad will happen and she'll try to blame someone at my house.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 AM

2,452 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerloveal View Post
Taking video or pictures of someone without their permission is illegal.
Not in public, it isn't.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Not in public, it isn't.
Can you imagine how many of us would be arrested for our Disneyland photos if it was

Old 02-24-2010, 02:08 PM

86 posts, read 234,435 times
Yeah, the only way that would be illegal is if she then used the photos of you for an advertisement or something to make some money off of it.

And that still may not make it illegal, but you could file a lawsuit for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area