Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
And it will be for years to come. Unless some more manufacturing comes here or other commercial companies come here, it will remain that way.
Perhaps fuel companies could lock down the market in Madison...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:24 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times

Im not familiar with the place, what kinda jobs are these?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Gas station convenience store clerks

Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Like the article said they are with the Army contracting command. There are many defense contracts being administered through Huntsville...many (but not all) of the jobs require either all or some combination of business/accounting or engineering degree, military experience and a secret clearance of some level.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Like the article said they are with the Army contracting command. There are many defense contracts being administered through Huntsville...many (but not all) of the jobs require either all or some combination of business/accounting or engineering degree, military experience and a secret clearance of some level.

thanks for the answer, I didnt know what the Army contracting command was.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
Gas station convenience store clerks

I might be qualified then

Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
In properly planned communities with VISION they are not located near schools or residences ... Check out NoVa. MMMM>.. when I share this situation with my contacts up North, they are more than appalled. In fact, I know of a few who opted NOT to come here as result.

Good news for the locals cause we're a tough group ... we actually do bite back.
I'm from NoVA. Don't generalize and associate me with the complainers and whiners who opted not to come here.

I'll give you schools (though I'm not aware of an open school in Huntsville that is next to a gas station), but the only areas in NoVA that didn't have a plethora of gas stations next to residential areas were Fairfax Station/Burke along Ox Road and Route 7/Great Falls. In fact, virtually every new development in NoVA has a commercial area just outside the neighborhood. This is the case with the newer developments in South Riding/Chantilly, Gainesville/Haymarket and Upper Rt 7... in keeping with the "Town Center" model. Gas stations were placed within larger shopping centers because they had a larger population to support those additional stores, hiding the eyesores.

A good example of typical NoVA development is Reston, and "North Point Village Center": Bing Maps Beta

Here you have a neighborhood, with a shopping center and gas station dropped in the middle, with Armstrong Elementary and Aldrin Elementary each within 2000 ft.

You don't have the shopping center hiding the gas station in Huntsville. That's really the only difference.

Apparently you just need to live in a larger city, because Huntsville isn't big enough to hide every gas station in residential areas within a shopping center.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
They just don't stop, They keep coming. Jobs to Huntsville.

Boeing picks SES for Apache helicopter upgrade work expected to create 70 jobs | Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com

Old 01-13-2010, 03:34 PM

45 posts, read 67,492 times
Default competition

OK, So someone tell me if I stand a chance there. I have an interview in 2 weeks for the Department of Defense and I am so excited, but I'm wondering about the competition and the move I will have to make with my family. I am coming from Northern Mississippi and my husband will have to do a total career change, I have noticed that the pay is good so he probably will be out of work for awhile. How is this area and I'm wondering if there are alot of people looking for work? I have a bachelors in Accounting and I finish my MBA in May. What you think? They got me driving a good distance for this so Im hoping thats good.

Also do you think my hubby will be able to find work? I have two girls 8 and 18mths and I hope the change wont be a big shock for them I've never been to Huntsville, but I'm praying for the job with just a little fear.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnH View Post
OK, So someone tell me if I stand a chance there. I have an interview in 2 weeks for the Department of Defense and I am so excited, but I'm wondering about the competition and the move I will have to make with my family. I am coming from Northern Mississippi and my husband will have to do a total career change, I have noticed that the pay is good so he probably will be out of work for awhile. How is this area and I'm wondering if there are alot of people looking for work? I have a bachelors in Accounting and I finish my MBA in May. What you think? They got me driving a good distance for this so Im hoping thats good.

Also do you think my hubby will be able to find work? I have two girls 8 and 18mths and I hope the change wont be a big shock for them I've never been to Huntsville, but I'm praying for the job with just a little fear.
There are no gaurentees, but I can't think of too many cities in the US where you and he would have a better chance at jobs. There are thousands, literally thousands of jobs coming to Huntsville. Huge buildings (VBIII, AMC, NASA) are under construction on the Redstone Arsenal. Interest rates are low and housing is cheap. There is no traffic. Today I finally saw real construction progress at a brand new downtown mall (Constellation). You're from Mississippi and I am not a native so I don't need to tell you about weather - it's probably close to the same.

Keep reading the threads to find out about housing and schools and restaurants and stuff to do with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area