Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times

Advertisements

This is one of the major ways how Huntsville is going to get blacks to live here. Huntsville needs more entertainment and leisure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
This is one of the major ways how Huntsville is going to get blacks to live here. Huntsville needs more entertainment and leisure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
If everyone is in agreement that there is a low percentage of blacks in science, my question would be, where would they work? My next question would be, if there is enough entertainment and leisure to attract other races, why isn't there enough entertainment and leisure to attract blacks?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
As RNC76 said, Huntsville needs to attract educated professionals, irregardless of black, white, asian or marsians !!!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
This is true I agree with this statement about blacks being more interested in science and engineering. I'm not sure about it being as low as 1-2% though it seems like its way higher than that in town due to a lot of graduates from engineering. I'm not sure what it is at Auburn and UAH, UA was much higher than that I know for sure. There are way more blacks in technical fields today than it used to be but we have a long way to go.

Actually I re-read what I wrote and I mistyped it. I meant to say it seems like its way higher than that in town due to a lot of graduates from engineering at A&M.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,763 times
As for moving to the Huntsville area. We moved this summer to Huntsville from Las Vegas. It is a big change but we may consider to pack our things up and leave. I retired from the military and after looking for jobs in the Huntsville area with no sucess. I started going to the local community college. The school is great and very affordable. But if my wife is unsucessfull in finding a job, we may have to leave. The GI bill pays the bills but barely. She has 3 college degrees under her belt. She is a RN nurse, she has tried many times to get hired at a local hospital, but no luck. The Huntsville hospital only hires from the inside 1st, People with alot of experience 2nd, and local college grads 3rd. They won't tell you that, but there is a bit of the "Good o'l boy" in place here in Huntsville. But on the other hand, the Madison/Huntsville area is very nice compaired to other parts of the South. We hope that we could stay and start a new life here in Huntsville. But time, hope and a bit of luck we may stay.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc122 View Post
As for moving to the Huntsville area. We moved this summer to Huntsville from Las Vegas. It is a big change but we may consider to pack our things up and leave. I retired from the military and after looking for jobs in the Huntsville area with no sucess. I started going to the local community college. The school is great and very affordable. But if my wife is unsucessfull in finding a job, we may have to leave. The GI bill pays the bills but barely. She has 3 college degrees under her belt. She is a RN nurse, she has tried many times to get hired at a local hospital, but no luck. The Huntsville hospital only hires from the inside 1st, People with alot of experience 2nd, and local college grads 3rd. They won't tell you that, but there is a bit of the "Good o'l boy" in place here in Huntsville. But on the other hand, the Madison/Huntsville area is very nice compaired to other parts of the South. We hope that we could stay and start a new life here in Huntsville. But time, hope and a bit of luck we may stay.
I don't know the latest but I remember there was supposed to be a Huntsville Hospital built in Madison and also a Huntsville Hospital Medical offices (of some sort, I forgot) built in the Big Cove area of Huntsville. Things may get better for her.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 3,763 times
I know things will get better. We like the area and we want to be part of a good community. After 20 years of constant deployements and constant moving. We want to settle. I grew up in Rome across the state line. I've always thought of Huntsville as a very nice community. I think that the economy is getting worse and our big mistake was to move here without any job. I would like to purchace a home here and make a name for myself in this town. But only time will tell. Yes the new hospital will be built in Madison in the east, but that won't be complete until 2013

Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
As for moving to the Huntsville area. We moved this summer to Huntsville from Las Vegas. It is a big change but we may consider to pack our things up and leave. I retired from the military and after looking for jobs in the Huntsville area with no sucess. I started going to the local community college..
First thank you for your service to our country.

Second, if you tell us what type of jobs you're looking for maybe some of us can help.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
... there was supposed to be a Huntsville Hospital built in Madison....
This may not be directly related but it is one of the "negatives" I can gripe about. The so-called "URGENT CARE" unit of Huntsville Hospital in Madison is really an "EMERGENCY ROOM" for the hospital.

I went in this weekend wanting to get some prescription medicine for my cold, they wanted to charge me $75 for copay which is $50 higher than my regular copay because, as the front receptionist explained, they function as EMERGENCY ROOM for the Huntsville hospital. Second, on the form you'll have to read and sign, they tell you that the doctor's bill will be "billed separately" from the co-pay. I told them no-thanks and went to my regular urgent care unit instead.

Why do I go to urgent care instead of a regular doctor? Well, another gripe of "small town" service. The doctors here do not work on weekends, and they close by 5pm on weekdays. Also, if I want to make an appointment for initial consultation, it's at least a 2-week wait. I can't imagine what if I have an "urgent" medical situation.

So if any one has a good family doctor, who is patience with grouchy old engineer like myself that tend to ask a lot of questions, I would welcome the recommendation. I do want a family doctor for general stuff like physical and any non-emergency illnesses.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,710 times
Quote:
But if my wife is unsucessfull in finding a job, we may have to leave. The GI bill pays the bills but barely. She has 3 college degrees under her belt. She is a RN nurse, she has tried many times to get hired at a local hospital, but no luck. The Huntsville hospital only hires from the inside 1st, People with alot of experience 2nd, and local college grads 3rd. They won't tell you that, but there is a bit of the "Good o'l boy" in place here in Huntsville.
While I won't deny GOB does exist in some aspects of this city, I do not see the HH hiring tiers any different that any other company's, and I do understand the logic for #1, and #2 - no.3 however is questionable, when you could get a less experienced professional and groom him to your needs just as do with a newly grad - but hey, give the grads a chance too.

Anyway, since you mentioned only the hospitals (HH, Crestwood), have you considered other medical establishments as well? For example, a LTAC (Long Term Acute Care- Kindred/Big Spring &Whitesburg Gardens)), nursing center, rehab services (HealthSouth), hospice, or simply a dr.'s office. How about venturing out the city (commuting) for awhile just to set your foot in the "local" door (I had a friend that did a short stint in Hsv before relocated back to CA and I believe she was driving just across the state line into TN for an admin RN job -that was what she wanted- but it was the long commute(even though they lived in NE on Chapman Mtn), on top of the 12 hr shift that killed the deal, but she did it anyway to pay the bills - that was circa 2006 and she was saying the same about local RN market (GOB remark). Went back to CA, immediately got a job. They didn't stick around because they didn't adjust to living in Hsv- the job situation being just one stress factor.

Last edited by friday13; 01-20-2010 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area