Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
It cut from SW Huntsville, across downtown, through Five Points up to Chapman. Those are some of the most densely populated neighborhoods in the city.
Not only that but old, with old big trees - that caused the damage last night - snapped, uprooted big trees falling on the house, and of course the ABOVE ground utility poles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 03:58 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
^^^You are right about dodging a bullet. The prospect of what could have happened if it had been a stronger tornado is really frightening. It cut from SW Huntsville, across downtown, through Five Points up to Chapman. Those are some of the most densely populated neighborhoods in the city. I feel sorry for those that were affected, but I'm glad it wasn't worse than it was and no one was killed.
Was anyone here around when the really BIG one hit back in 1989??http://uahweather.blogspot.com/2008/...ado-video.html

Old 01-22-2010, 04:24 PM

346 posts, read 851,230 times
Mike Wilhelm's Alabama Weather Blog Bamawx.com: Huntsville Tornado - Approximate Path

This blog is pretty kool. Gives his interpretation of the path the Tornado took. Interesting how those things parallel interstates.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:41 PM

889 posts, read 2,398,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Was anyone here around when the really BIG one hit back in 1989??
Yes. And the 1974 "Super Outbreak" for that matter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Outbreak

Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 PM

413 posts, read 938,172 times
I live up on the A&M Agricultural Research Station just south of Hazel Green. Had a phenomenal view of the whole thing, start to finish. I'm from Michigan, and we don't get a terrible lot of tornadoes up there. This was the first one I've ever seen (although I've heard the sirens a few times back home). I'm glad things turned out as well as they did. While it may not seem like it to those who lost their homes, at least no one lost more than that.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:45 PM

165 posts, read 507,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
Not only that but old, with old big trees - that caused the damage last night - snapped, uprooted big trees falling on the house, and of course the ABOVE ground utility poles.
Well, below-ground utility poles would be kind of silly.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 PM

165 posts, read 507,329 times
Ahem... I heard today that it was assessed by the NWS as being EF-2. That surprises me a bit. I had figured it would probably be assessed at EF-1 tops.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:21 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
I live up on the A&M Agricultural Research Station just south of Hazel Green. Had a phenomenal view of the whole thing, start to finish.
Get any pictures?
There are so many pictures, just on the al.com and TV station Web sites, that it would be interesting to put them all together in sequence.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Was anyone here around when the really BIG one hit back in 1989??Underneath Those Huntsville Lights: 1989 Huntsville Tornado Video
I was. I spent the night on Airport Road and Whitesburg searching cars. If you see any old pictures of wrecked cars with "OK" spray painted on them, that might have been my work, or rather, "spray writing." Bad night.
"

Old 01-23-2010, 01:38 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamachic80 View Post
Mike Wilhelm's Alabama Weather Blog Bamawx.com: Huntsville Tornado - Approximate Path

This blog is pretty kool. Gives his interpretation of the path the Tornado took. Interesting how those things parallel interstates.
That matches what husband had guesstimated...though somewhere he found a data image of the wall cloud which extended right over to me. Not the tornado, but the mass. Not sure where he found that online...I guess that's what I was experiencing. For all that noise, I had no damage and saw none in our neighborhood. Crazy hail, lots of wind, but no sign afterward of what had just gone through.
Blogger is just West of me and the storm was East by the time it got over here.

Still, that's the second time something has crept up this way since I moved into this house - last year there was that weather event which I believe was defined as a tornado, over on the other side of 565/72.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area