Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyud'ana View Post
picks up garbage every morning to keep it looking nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeastern View Post
I also believe the Old Monrovia Rd gentleman is out picking up the garbage to keep the streets looking nice. He pulls a cart and you can see that he is stopping for trash.
Adopt-a-mile
City of Huntsville, Alabama *** Huntsville *** Alabama ***

for comedic relief- Seinfeld's "the Pothole" episode
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
Kudos to the man for cleaning up the area. I have noticed that is one thing that I HATE about ALABAMA. It is so thrashy. There are beautiful country roads that are ruined by the amount of trash thrown out on the sides of the road. I get livid every time I drive around and see it. We need to start by educating kids and high schoolers and up about putting trash in a receptacle. Respect for our environment. It isn't ALA the BEAUTIFUL . And it really could be because this state has gorgeous environments. JMHO

Old 04-01-2010, 07:32 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
Kudos to the man for cleaning up the area. I have noticed that is one thing that I HATE about ALABAMA. It is so thrashy. There are beautiful country roads that are ruined by the amount of trash thrown out on the sides of the road. I get livid every time I drive around and see it. We need to start by educating kids and high schoolers and up about putting trash in a receptacle. Respect for our environment. It isn't ALA the BEAUTIFUL . And it really could be because this state has gorgeous environments. JMHO
Do you help by picking it up?

Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
YES YES YES I do!!!!!!! I spend hours cleaning up an old cemetery and the road along our area. The roads are hard to keep up with. Years ago cardboard disintegrated but now with so much plastic and styrofoam it stays there forever. I like ALABAMA and I would like it to actually be beautiful and not trashed. I was glad to see the article in the Times this week. We all need to do our part and use trash cans!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
YES YES YES I do!!!!!!! I spend hours cleaning up an old cemetery and the road along our area. The roads are hard to keep up with. Years ago cardboard disintegrated but now with so much plastic and styrofoam it stays there forever. I like ALABAMA and I would like it to actually be beautiful and not trashed. I was glad to see the article in the Times this week. We all need to do our part and use trash cans!!!

I still don't understand why people have to litter...just keep your cup in your car until you get home or somewhere with a trashcan. It's not a very difficult concept...

Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,480 times
His name is Eddie, and like others have said, he is not homeless.

Someone has set up a facebook group to help him out with his can collecting. You can read about him here...
//www.facebook.com/pages/Cans-F...15030261857324

or watch the WAAY31 segment that was done about him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlNy6sBa0Ks

Last edited by WoodrowUA; 03-02-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-05-2011, 01:02 PM

144 posts, read 433,258 times
Where I lived in Texas, people would hunt (or I should say follow) you down and get your plate number and call the cops. The cops took it very serious. The, "Don't mess with Texas" litter campaign is strong in some areas, and not so strong in others, but in the communities were I lived it was taken very serious. People had no problem calling people out. Even cigarette butts, which I see people here toss out the most.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:47 PM

296 posts, read 694,013 times
Last few weeks, I have noticed an older woman with a small black dog walking on Balch, Capshaw, and in the subdivisions in the area. She smokes and leaves cigarette butts so she is not cleaning up the area. I also wonder if she is going through mail boxes and stealing mail. Does anyone know her story? At what point, is she a threat? If I find her camped out on my property, can I call the sheriff to report trespassing? I know I should be more understanding but I really don't like having to dodge pedestrians and dogs in middle of the road nor do I like finding her twice in a few days "casing" my house.

Marc

Old 05-20-2011, 11:02 AM

296 posts, read 694,013 times
Apparently she did break some law as last seen in back of police car. Found out my neighbors were also concerned that she might be stealing mail. Don't know what she was picked up for.

Marc

Old 06-19-2012, 01:08 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I know who you are talking about. He hangs out around the Walgreen's just south of HH a lot. They seem to let him come in when it is cold. I've seen him at least a dozen times there. He never bothers anyone. Not sure if there is a connection between someone who works at Walgreen's or not with him but he is there a lot and they don't run him off. Maybe they are just being compassionate.
The new thread about Eddie "The Can Man" made me think about this older man that wanders the medical district. He was in Walgreen's the other day and I asked a worker what his story was because I see him there all the time. Apparently, the people at Walgreen's really have no connection to him but they have reached out to him. He seems schizophrenic, he talks to himself a lot, sometimes arguing with himself. However, he'll open doors for people and seems harmless, I've never seen him approach anyone or ask for money. He apparently won't accept cash, so the employees at Walgreen's chip in and buy him gift cards to Walgreen's, Burger King to get some necessities and some food in his stomach. They also let him come in to get out of the elements. It makes me feel really good that they would reach out to him, most places would just run him off. I know I will keep doing business with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area