Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:39 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamachic80 View Post
Zierdt does have very nice neighborhoods. Most are way below the OP's original target amount IMO. Least we got our house in our neighborhood off Zierdt for a great price.

How is the noise out that way? A few of Chris' co-workers suggested the area and I was afraid of the potential noise. Something about those noise area signs just scared me off. I always wondered if my fears were warranted or just a newbies reaction to a local procaution(the signs). Now Chris is saying the few that live over there are reporting SUPER increased traffic heading into the arsenal, so maybe even if my noise concerns weren't warranted, the increased traffic could have been enough to make us dislike our location. Just curious. If it is a newbie thing, that might be something the city needs to address as I am sure I am not the only one that was scared off my the noise zone signs.

We ended up in Hampton Cove and I love it. I don't think I could be happier with a location. I love the feeling of isolation that comes with the mountains, but everything is still 10 minutes away, need a hospital, 8 minutes, need an ambulance to the hospital less than 5 minutes away, need a Target, Petsmart, Southern Family Foods, Kroger, Sporting Goods, Bed Bath and Beyond, just about any type of eating establishment you could desire, 10 minutes over Carl T Jones, it is idealic to us.

We personally live in Deford Mill(which is the first subdivision in HC), we are walking distance to the elementary/middle school and Hayes Nature Preserve, we are less than 2 minutes from all the shopping that HC has to offer(Publix, RiteAid, Walmart, and Lowe's). It is all very convenient and has truly made me look at driving to my destination differently. From where we are it would be a reasonable walk to Publix if it wasn't for that darn highway....I know there is the Hayes underpass, but it worries me that my wagon of groceries would tumble into the river going down the incline

It is also less than 20 minutes for Chris to get to work on the Arsenal and he said that the gate he uses(Martin Rd) is one of the most under utilized and he can be through the gate in less than 5 minutes(gate traffic is another thing to consider when determining commute time if you will be working on base).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
You are in good hands with the good folks on the H'ville forum. If you see some place you like you can always ask their opinion of that area.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,669 times
I agree with Tammie 100% When we looked we also were very concerned about the amount of traffic on Zierdt Rd. The lanes turning into and out of it at "rush Hours" are long and can only get worse with all the new homes going up over there. The HC area is very convenient and easy to access most of everything. We also like the fact that it is only 10 minutes into old Huntsville over the mountain. We feel like we are a part of the city more than we did when we lived in Madison. Just us - so you who live in city of Madison don't get offended! Yet, we are in the middle of these beautiful mountains (high hills) and easy access to Lake Guntersville and Chattanooga up here. There are many nice choices so you will be fine!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,950,811 times
I live in Madison and commute into RSA everyday via this side of Martin road so I have a pretty good idea of the traffic on Martin & Zierdt road. They have recently increase to 2 lanes going into gate 9 so the traffic flow is much smoother than before.

If you're coming from Martin road heading east into gate 9, there can be a delay certain time usually is between 7:30 ~ 8:00 am. Typical back up is ~ 10 minutes. Other times there is virtually no backup at all. This is due to the traffic light on the Martin & Zierdt intersection.

If you're coming from Zierdt road heading south into gate 9, there's some backup again due to the traffic light, but the line usually is not as long as those coming from Martin road.

If you're coming from Zierdt road heading north into gate 9, such as where Bamachic lives, there's usually no backup as you simply make a right turn at the intersection into gate 9.

Just a head-up, I understand it is in the city of Huntsville plan to widen this section of Martin road into a 4- lane road. This will significantly improve the traffic on Martin road. But expect more delays during the construction period. The biggest impact is for those who lives in the Lake Forest development as they enter/ exit right on Martin road.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 AM

93 posts, read 202,730 times
We live in the English Village subdivision. Nice neighborhood, and my wife's commute onto the Arsenal is 15 minutes, tops. Houses in our neighborhood appear to range from $180K-$300K.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 AM

73 posts, read 204,635 times
Were building a house in Harvest. Its set out of the way but still close to everything (Take 53 into downtown Huntsville / Memorial Pkwy 15 - 30 mins, Take Research Park to Aresenal/Target 15 - 30 mins depending on time of day, Take Jeff/ Wall Triana to Madison 10 - 15 Mins)

Walking distance to elementry school. Other then that the walk score is 7 (i know terrible)

We're very happy with the location - set far enough away that you get a lot more house for your money - but close enough that you don't feel cut off.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 PM

346 posts, read 850,854 times
Sure you hear noise from the Arsenal Tammie, but you kinda get used to it after a while. You also hear alot of air traffic. To me, it seems quiet out here and that you don't feel like you live in the middle of town. There's a "country" aspect, yet you can get to Publix on Madison Blvd about 3 miles up the road. I keep hearing they are supposed to put a Kroger anchored shopping plaza at the corner of Zierdt and Martin. That would indeed increase traffic flow, but it would be a plus for the people to not have to travel up to Wall-Triana or Madison Blvd.

HB2HSV, I agree it seems like they are trying to remedy the traffic flow going in and out of the Arsenal. My hubby has a 5 minute commute to work and is so spoiled

Old 01-25-2010, 02:09 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times
All that congestion is why Decatur is as close as many Huntsville neighborhoods. Pointe Mallard Estates, Burningtree areas...even some of the newer subdivisions in Priceville.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:03 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,950,811 times
I have friends who live in Decatur and commute to RSA daily. Nothing wrong with that and it's a fast commute.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:01 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamachic80 View Post
Sure you hear noise from the Arsenal Tammie, but you kinda get used to it after a while. You also hear alot of air traffic. To me, it seems quiet out here and that you don't feel like you live in the middle of town.

Thanks. I really was wondering about that. On Chris' suggestion I was checking out that area. However, I have never lived near an active base, so I was concerned with the signs, how much noise does a "noise zone" produce? Would it be waking me up in the middle of the night and have me wanting to reach for my trusty hammer? Would it be enough to scare my previously abused puppy? Just seemed like too much of a chance buying on the fly and not knowing.

Overall, many areas were crossed off for many reasons, just like everyone else goes through when attempting to chose the perfect home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area