Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,946,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaitimthinking View Post
....I've been able to show concrete financial savings.
Interesting, I didn't know that HR can save me money in concrete.

If you're interested in finding a HR job in Huntsville, you should get into the security aspect of HR. Employees here need government security clearances, HR processes them, make prelim. background check, and deal with the government side of security personnel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,534,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
It means you directly add to the bottom line. It is something tangible such as a salesman bringing in sales. For an engineering department, it typically refers to departments that are making money(profitable product engineers) vs departments that are costing money(R&D is often an example).

It is often difficult for a company to justify a large expense today for something that may or may not materialize in years to come even if it might be the next big breakthrough that will make them billions. Same goes for HR, yes, there is a cost benefit to not being sued, but it isn't realized today nor can it be quantified on the balance sheet. How can you quantify something that didn't happen, or might or might not happen?

Hope that helps.
Thanks again! Definitely clears it up a bit, but it seems to indicate 1 or 2-dimensional thinking on higher-ups' part (from my lowly perspective anyway). Maybe it's the stress of the economic downturn. At some point, you have to spend money to make money.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 PM

60 posts, read 131,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Interesting, I didn't know that HR can save me money in concrete.

If you're interested in finding a HR job in Huntsville, you should get into the security aspect of HR. Employees here need government security clearances, HR processes them, make prelim. background check, and deal with the government side of security personnel.
Dang, I'm assuming I'll have to pass a clearance check as well, then they'll find out what I've really been saving in that concrete...and it's not money! JK, Thanks for the info.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:22 PM

60 posts, read 131,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Thanks again! Definitely clears it up a bit, but it seems to indicate 1 or 2-dimensional thinking on higher-ups' part (from my lowly perspective anyway). Maybe it's the stress of the economic downturn. At some point, you have to spend money to make money.

Hence the challenge of working for execs that cannot look past their nose...but the profession has really come a long way in recent years. More and more execs are realizing HR's 'added-value' - just look at the larger successful companies and the corporate executive hierarchy (there is always a Director or VP of HR on the chart). It's mainly the smaller companies (especially retail) that still see HR as an expense and nothing more.

I worked for an organization that grew overnight because it's main competitor didn't care for HR and didn't put much into the department (such as hiring true HR professionals – rather promoted admin people) - they ended up closing because of several discrimination claims that bankrupted them. So, my company took all the business and many of the salespeople and basically tripled business overnight, the owner appreciated the HR profession and hired degreed HR people…we never had a single claim in the 4 years I was there.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:50 PM

50 posts, read 180,535 times
I've worked in HR for over 10 years (in the healthcare and manufacturing industries) and left my full-time job over a year ago when my husband was transferred to Huntsville. Fortunately, my company kept me on working remotely as needed (my full-time job now is a SAHM!), so I have not had to look for HR jobs in this area. From my perspective, working in HR for a Fortune 500 company, it seems the trend is to hire those that have special certifications, in things like Continuous Improvement, LEAN principles, Kaizen, or Six Sigma. If you have any HRIS experience, I would think that would be attractive to employers in this area as well. If you can show how technology can affect the bottom line in a business (by using portals and websites to eliminate non-value-added administrative things like data entry for HR processes) upper management may see the value in their human capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: