Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,375,197 times

Advertisements

Sounds like good news for Florida

NASA will get $6 billion in Obama budget to help develop commercial rockets | Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com

NASA will get $6 billion in Obama budget to help develop commercial rockets

By Lee Roop

January 28, 2010, 12:00PM

Eric Schultz / The Huntsville TimesAres I-X missile leaves a Florida launch pad during a test flight in October 2009HUNTSVILLE, AL - NASA will receive $6 billion in new funding over five years to extend the life of the International Space Station, create up to 1,700 new jobs in Florida and help the development of commercial rockets to transport astronauts, an administration official said today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post

NASA will get $6 billion in Obama budget to help develop commercial rockets | Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com

Don't kid yourself

First there's no "commerce" in the rocket business. There is only one customer in this case, that is NASA. I think they call it "Olygopoly" or something like that in economic term. This is just going back to the previous procurement method, e.g., rather than having NASA do the design & building, outsourced to industry to do that instead.

Second, if this is being done by industry rather than NASA, it will hire FAR LESS engineers & technicians than if it is a NASA-run (inefficient) operation. Take for example, Space Shuttle requires over 2,000 people to support its launch & operation at KSC. If this is "outsourced" to industry, like Lockheed or Boeing's launch operation on Atlas and Delta, it will only requires less than 200 people at the launch site (being more efficient & effective - and not a "jobs" program).

Last edited by HB2HSV; 01-28-2010 at 01:47 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 01:43 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,183,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
No kid yourself
First there's no "commerce" in the rocket business. There is only one customer in this case, that is NASA. I think they call it "Olygopoly" or something like that in economic term. This is just going back to the previous procurement method, e.g., rather than having NASA do the design & building, outsourced to industry to do that instead.
It will be interesting to see if they get any measurable chunk of government money is awarded to the private company called Space X, who by the way, was a huge contributor to the Obama campaign.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM

975 posts, read 2,662,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post

By Lee Roop

January 28, 2010, 12:00PM

Eric Schultz / The Huntsville TimesAres I-X missile leaves a Florida launch pad during a test flight in October 2009HUNTSVILLE, AL - NASA will receive $6 billion in new funding over five years to extend the life of the International Space Station, create up to 1,700 new jobs in Florida and help the development of commercial rockets to transport astronauts, an administration official said today.
Obama pretty much screwing Alabama. Mobile KC Tanker contract is on brakes but he wants to create jobs also many goverment contracts in Huntsville cut.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Obama pretty much screwing Alabama. Mobile KC Tanker contract is on brakes but he wants to create jobs also many goverment contracts in Huntsville cut.
But hey, he is at Tampa Florida today announcing a $2 Billion dollar "high speed train" project.

What he did not mention is where does this high speed train goes to. It turns out that it will go from the Tampa airport to Disney World in Orlando.

My questions are:

1) How important is it for tourists to get to Disney World quickly?

2) Why don't the tourist fly into Orlando airport instead of Tampa?

But obviously I am missing the "creating jobs" aspect...

Old 01-28-2010, 02:23 PM

18 posts, read 38,883 times
Outsourcing manufacturing responsibilities to private sector will definately decrease the overhead and cost of space launches. I just don't know if the private sector can recover if something were to go terribly wrong with a launch. Also in 10-20 years we can just "OFFSHORE" the manufacturing and really save some money! Someone told me that is how our system works...

Old 01-28-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goode View Post
Also in 10-20 years we can just "OFFSHORE" the manufacturing and really save some money! Someone told me that is how our system works...
Charles, let's move back to San Diego and go south of border to start a "Tijuana Aerospace Company" to rip the benefit of "OFFSHORE" outsourcing of NASA work.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:40 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,404,767 times
Quote:
But hey, he is at Tampa Florida today announcing a $2 Billion dollar "high speed train" project.

What he did not mention is where does this high speed train goes to. It turns out that it will go from the Tampa airport to Disney World in Orlando.

My questions are:

Very- considering the existing 85-mile I4 is all they got now
Does this mean free tickets to Disney with the purchase of a train ticket? Or free train "shuttle" with a Disney ticket? Imagine the possibilities.
Can Hsv/Nashville have a light train hovering I65 to the Gulf? Now, that'd be "job creatin'"! By the way, gasoline is $2.55 creeping up steadily. We need that train, Mr.P!

Old 01-28-2010, 02:44 PM

692 posts, read 1,495,021 times
Quote:

My questions are:

2) Why don't the tourist fly into Orlando airport instead of Tampa?

But obviously I am missing the "creating jobs" aspect...

Disneyworld, Space....I DEFINITELY see how the mouse would win that one

I think someone needs to put down the crack pipe, maybe those youthful indescretions might not only be in the past.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:31 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,683,924 times
Well...I'll wait to see if Orlando is less fickle than West Palm Beach...or, in other words, if the project is legitimate.
We had approval for a high-speed rail/bullet train (and it would have actually made some sense) but the project took so long to get off the ground that years after it was voted in, the voters reneged...because construction hadn't even started yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area