Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 01:04 PM

286 posts, read 1,081,615 times

Advertisements

I just read article saying that the Constellation program will be outsourced to Russia. Does that affect many people in Huntsville?

I also had to laugh considering Cold War, race to space, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 01:17 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,854,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by financelife View Post
I just read article saying that the Constellation program will be outsourced to Russia. Does that affect many people in Huntsville?

I also had to laugh considering Cold War, race to space, etc..
As they say in stock market, you can't believe everything you read.

Post a link to the article, then we shall see.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,182,631 times
I didn't see anything about outsourcing...this is the only news article I could find of the proposed cuts.

FOXNews.com - Obama to End NASA Constellation Program?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I didn't see anything about outsourcing...this is the only news article I could find of the proposed cuts.

FOXNews.com - Obama to End NASA Constellation Program?
From your link I went to an updated link below

FOXNews.com - White House to Outsource Space Flight

We will have to listen to his SOU address tonight to find out.

Related posts below
//www.city-data.com/forum/12634085-post397.html

Old 01-27-2010, 01:53 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,182,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
From your link I went to an updated link below

FOXNews.com - White House to Outsource Space Flight

We will have to listen to his SOU address tonight to find out.

Related posts below
//www.city-data.com/forum/12634085-post397.html
Ah, I was thinking actually outsourcing design and manufacturing of the components, etc to Russia. Now that would be a kick to the face!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 PM

Before some of you start to panick about your jobs, let's stay calm and understand the followings:

Even if this news is true, it is only a PROPOSED budget by the executive branch. Once the PROPOSAL is on the table, there is still a LONG way to go before a decision is reached. As you know, Congress has expressed through legislation that the future of the manned space program is within their purview. So expect significant debate before a decision is reached.

Most likely, the answer will sway from one extreme to another until that final decision is reached. I wouldn’t expect a clear decision until the 2011 budget is released at the end of this year. But don’t hold your breath, it might not even be clear then.

So stay calm as we navigate through these waters.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:05 PM

286 posts, read 1,081,615 times
Default So Huntsvillians could be affected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Before some of you start to panick about your jobs, let's stay calm and understand the followings:

So stay calm as we navigate through these waters.
I wasn't sure if Huntsville touched those programs. I knew Ares was being worked on, but didn't know much about the Constellation program overall.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:38 PM

346 posts, read 846,768 times
Not worried about jobs, on a personal level, hubby's contract on his project is at least through end of 2011. He doesn't seemed worried, so I don't either and he's well informed of everything.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,483,980 times
I wouldn't bet on the current administration investing much in space or any major new weapons systems. Nice to see that Huntsville will benefit from consolidation, but I'm not sure this President sees these sorts of things as priorities.... Unfortunately.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:05 PM

346 posts, read 846,768 times
They are talking about it on the local news now. Stating that they think Obama will mainly focus on discussing the job situation. The way I see it, jobs would be affected if the administration cuts funding for the space program. You would think if he was smart, he would see this. I dunno, just hoping the best for our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area