Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:07 PM

37 posts, read 76,056 times

Advertisements

We're looking at houses that feed into these two schools and I am concerned about their low ratings on Greatschools.com. I am not one to dismiss a school out of hand, though, and would love to hear from people in the area about what these schools are REALLY like.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 11:33 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,404,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyd View Post
We're looking at houses that feed into these two schools and I am concerned about their low ratings on Greatschools.com. I am not one to dismiss a school out of hand, though, and would love to hear from people in the area about what these schools are REALLY like.
Thanks!!!
they're both 5 if I recall off the top my head. Watch GreatSchools these days as the new ratings are coming out (for school year ended summer '09).

I would think with the newcomers (BRAC) moving in at Williams (gate 7), the scores will improve, it'll be interesting to see if they have 2009 over 2009. They're ('ve) building (expanding) the school, so they are making efforts to meet the BRAC expectations.

Farley if I assume correctly is the school for Hobbs St. and surroundings near the RSA gate (west of S.Memorial, east Hobbs I believe goes to Challenger El). I am talking 3 yrs ago since I last drove there: old houses, and the new construction just taking off at the time. Just like Williams, it might improve soon (if you have the time, like a newborn). The thing with Farley, if you can live with that for say a year (5th grader), is that it feeds into Challenger Middle, and Grissom.

Last edited by friday13; 02-02-2010 at 11:46 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 05:28 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
Watch GreatSchools these days as the new ratings are coming out (for school year ended summer '09).
Good info. How will we know when the Greatschools database is updated? (I did see AL Dept of Education 2007-2008 underneath one of the graphs. I guess we wait until that changes to 2008-2009? Any way we can be alerted to the change?)

Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,404,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Good info. How will we know when the Greatschools database is updated? (I did see AL Dept of Education 2007-2008 underneath one of the graphs. I guess we wait until that changes to 2008-2009? Any way we can be alerted to the change?)
I emailed GS with a question last year (if anyone wants to hear: about why Providence did not have a rating, thinking it was an established school, had plenty of test scores behind, and they said the scores were not in their database at the time of 2008 data compilation, which makes me think the ratings (the actual number) are based only on the last completed school yr. Sure, you can see graphs and data for 5 yrs back, but the number on the 1-10 scale may be a reflection of last yr's score alone.

The answer was also that the site was going to be updated on Feb5th. So it's about time again.

Rest assured my question was a more open-ended, with a hint and room for them to explain what their ratings are based on (methodology) - Sure enough, the lady must've been sworn to secrecy, that I got a brief and polite answer "watch the website for updates".
But there's no way in telling when the new scores come out (if the 5th is not a fixed date), I can just tell by knowing the previous score for some of the schools (e.g. it was last yr when I saw Lincoln jump from 2 to 7, that one was hard to miss)

Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 AM

692 posts, read 1,495,021 times
The website explains how they are calculated and what tests are used....however, overall it is pretty useless considering the report that came out last week that stated that each state can set its own standards and write its own tests, so a 10 GS in AL is not a 10 GS in MD, they are tested on different levels. But that has been a known fact if you looked for it(it is just getting worse) and neither here nor there, if parents feel better knowing the school has a 10/10, good for them(even if it is a 2/10 in any other area of the country).

GreatSchools Ratings FAQ - GreatSchools.org

What data is used in calculating GreatSchools Ratings?

GreatSchools Ratings are based on the most recent available standardized test results for schools in each state. The results we use are typically the percentage of students scoring at or above the proficient level on the test in each grade and subject (e.g., grade 4/math) and each grade, subject and student category (e.g., grade 4/math/Hispanic students). The proficiency levels and student categories are defined by the state Department of Education.

How are the Overall Ratings calculated?

The Overall Rating for each school is calculated by averaging that school's ratings for all grade/subject combinations. For example, if a state test is given in reading and math in grades 3 through 10, the Overall Rating for a school serving grades K-5 would be the average of the ratings for grade 3/math, grade 3/reading, grade 4/math, grade 4/reading, grade 5/math and grade 5/reading.
Note that the Overall Rating is not an average of the By Grade ratings you see displayed on the page, but rather, an average of the underlying grade/subject ratings, which are used to create both the By Grade ratings and the Overall Rating. We use these underlying ratings, instead of averaging the By Grade ratings, to reduce rounding errors.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone! We chose a house in Owens Crossroads. This forum is awesome!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone! We chose a house in Owens Crossroads. This forum is awesome!
Where abouts? What schools?

Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 PM

@ Charles...
We liked the homes in Hampton Station. There were tons of kids and the house really suited us. We looked at Hampton Cove, but we couldn't find anything we liked in our price range. What we did find either needed updating (which we a re really tired of) or was so high per square foot that it didn't make sense for us (being a military family that might have to relocate again at any time). The price and the neighborhood left us several options. For the moment, we feed into HC Elem. but will be switching to the new elem. when it's ready. Supposed to be this fall when my daughter starts Kinder, but we'll see. We really like the scenery out over the mountain and the feeling of being just out of the city.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
@ Charles...
We liked the homes in Hampton Station. There were tons of kids and the house really suited us. We looked at Hampton Cove, but we couldn't find anything we liked in our price range. What we did find either needed updating (which we a re really tired of) or was so high per square foot that it didn't make sense for us (being a military family that might have to relocate again at any time). The price and the neighborhood left us several options. For the moment, we feed into HC Elem. but will be switching to the new elem. when it's ready. Supposed to be this fall when my daughter starts Kinder, but we'll see. We really like the scenery out over the mountain and the feeling of being just out of the city.
More good news. (Supposedly) By this summer, some sort of medical clinic (urgent care???) will open near the Wal-Mart there. Also, there's new restaurant opening ("The Villa") on the NE corner of Sutton and 431. Longer range plans are for medical offices associated with Huntsville Hospital to be built somewhere near Taylor and Sutton. The new Goldsmith Schiffman Elementary School should open by Fall 2010, though there is a slight risk of a slight delay due to weather - no big deal. I'm sure that school will be pretty good.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 PM

I did read something that said they have a contingency plan if the opening is delayed. They're planning to group students who will transfer to the new school in classes together and will try to place them with their teacher, as well. This way the class can move as a unit when the new school opens. As a former teacher, I am a bit skeptical about their ability to handle the logistics of it all but I have hope. In my experience, when a new school opens, they assign several experienced teachers and a very experienced principal to the new school to ease the opening. Again, I have hope!
As for the new retail and services going in, hallelujah. That would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area