Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:47 PM

73 posts, read 204,645 times

Advertisements

I read through the Home Inspection Threads and found that there are some very good home inspectors. I'm wondering if there are any home inspectors that do Energy Audits (IE how much heat is passing through walls ect) and if anyone has had this done.

Energy Savers: Home Energy Audits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 05:53 PM

956 posts, read 2,499,901 times
Google "energy audit huntsville al" and it will show you a few that provide the service. I might also check with Huntsville Utilities to see if they have a list of inspectors that are approved to perform an energy audit.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Not an auditor but I had one done a year ago. It basically confirmed my suspicions as to where in the house I had problems and offered good suggestions. It was expensive. However, it helped me weed out insulation companies whose opinions of where/how to insulate varied greatly from the auditors.

Unless you are absolutely convinced that you want/need one I'd suggest reading up on insulating your home and energy efficiency for your type of home, roof, windows, walls, etc... . This is where I started: EERE: Energy Savers Home Page

You might check with your local power company and see what they offer as far as free home energy audits (or greatly reduced). If you decide to hire a private home energy auditor be certain to find one with the proper certifications and someone who has been in the business for awile rather than someone who just got into it recently since it has become "trendy".

Beware of "greenies" peddling snakeoil. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck..... you get my drift.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:57 PM

73 posts, read 204,645 times
Elizabeth_G - I'm currently building my house - they claim to be Energy Star Certified - The only reason i would get it would be to prepare for closing - do you think that it would be worth getting?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 PM

956 posts, read 2,499,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbiron View Post
Elizabeth_G - I'm currently building my house - they claim to be Energy Star Certified - The only reason i would get it would be to prepare for closing - do you think that it would be worth getting?
Here is the link to the Energy Star site: Benefits for Homeowners : ENERGY STAR

My thoughts are: I'm not sure what the cost is for the inspection. IF for some reason you felt your utilities were too high, you could order one then. IF they are a well respected builder, they SHOULD make it Energy Star compliant, versus losing that rating. The risk is they wouldn't.
It's a tough call. I would have the builder provide you with written documentation stating that "if the home is not energy star compliant" that they will in fact bring the home into compliance.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:07 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
The amount of time it would take to recoup in energy savings the cost of the inspection and any necessary upgrades is approximately 69 years.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:12 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,488 times
Here are several good websites for conducting your own home energy audit, it isn't overly difficult and if you detect major problems you can always call for a professional auditor if you needed proof for the builder.

Energy Savers: Do-It-Yourself Home Energy Audits

How To Conduct a Basic Home Energy Audit | DoItYourself.com

for those that like the government system:

The Home Energy Saver

http://www.seattle.gov/light/printdo...urselfHome.pdf

Old 02-06-2010, 10:33 PM

38 posts, read 92,727 times
If your new home is Energy Star Certified in Madison County, Huntsville Utilities is already doing the inspection for you. They are verifying the work of the builder.

For a home to be Energy Star Certified, the builder must construct the home to certain infiltration standards. At rough-in (after insulation, but before sheetrock) an initial inspection is done to show the builder where it is deficient; after completion, a final inspection is performed using a blower door test to measure the amount of air infiltration into the home.

In Madison County, that inspector is Huntsville Utilities. Their inspection is in turn verified by an Energy Star "provider" who is authorized by the Department of Energy to do this verification work.

So, there are three layers of verification: the builder, the inspector, and the provider, to deliver a certified Energy Star product.

If you get an Energy Star certificate, this process has been done and you can be confident that all the standards were met.

Huntsville Utilities and TVA provide (and pay for) this service in order to encourage more energy efficient housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbiron View Post

Old 06-22-2010, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,140 times
i found this site to be really useful when trying to find an auditor:
[url=http://www.homeenergyteam.com]Home Energy Audit - Home Energy Team[/url]

it is also a great place to find contractors and a useful resource when trying to understand new energy efficiency standards (because they CAN be difficult to understand!!!)

hope this is helpful.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:51 PM

35 posts, read 102,253 times
Unless I am mistaken, Bill Loden with Insight Home Inspections is the only one of us with a thermal imaging camera to do what you are wanting done. The utility company energy audit does a pretty good job but Bill might also be able to find thermal deficiencies with exterior walls (likely insufficient insulation) that the utility company energy audit wouldn't find. I'm not sure on Bill's charges for that. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area