Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:15 PM

14 posts, read 62,329 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a neighborhood built by Alabama Heritage Homes. Anyone has experience with them? How about the quality?

If you have anything that is not appropriate to post on the forum, please send me a message.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 07:54 AM

23 posts, read 100,242 times
I was looking very heavily at getting a house built by Alabama Heritage Homes. Out of all of the builders, they were at the top of my list for my price range. The only problem I had was the locations of their developments. They weren't in the particular area we were looking for so we ended up getting a great deal on a 4 year old house in the area that we wanted. However, if we had built, we would've gone with them. What impressed me about them was the fact that a lot of options that other builders are charging as upgrades, Alabama Heritage Homes included as standard amenities. I know this doesn't help much as we didn't build with them, but I wanted to offer my positive opinion of them. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:45 PM

144 posts, read 433,438 times
That would be my only real negative is the locations but they build solid solid homes with plenty of the premium features at a great price. I have several co-workers and friends that have built homes with them and they're very easy to work with.

Pollard and Woodland are nice but they nickle and dime you to death for any little "upgrade".

We had a house built by Dennis Olive. With his new crew, they've improved but when we had our house built back in Dec 07 with his prior crew, we had a lot of issues both big and small, some of which are still being taking care of (hopefully).

My advice is to wait, if you can, for the parade of homes in Oct(?) which is what we wish we did

Old 09-13-2008, 02:08 PM

14 posts, read 62,329 times
Thanks!

And, does it really help to hire an agent if we are looking for new homes?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,733 times
Thumbs up I'd get a buyer's agent, yes.

Preferably someone who concentrates in the neighborhoods you're most interested in. He/she should have the inside scoop on prices, inventory, market conditions, etc. I consider myself a knowledgeable and "hands on" buyer, and I still was glad I found a good agent because she was quick to alert us to any new listings that looked promising (I mean, within hours of the listing showing up on the hotsheet). A buyer's agent should look out for your interests and make your job of finding a home easier. (And, for me, it definitely was a job, in the worst sense. After months of searching and not finding the right thing, it was not fun looking at houses anymore!)

Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 AM

41 posts, read 67,685 times
My house was built by Alabama Heritage, first house i ever had built. It was a great experience. THey have a complete showroom of what you pick out as far as yoru tile, countertops and basically everything...even grout color....You are there basically all day, atleast me and my wife were...but they explain everything...what standard and whats a upgrade....but really most of there standard items are great. They have a lot of plans to choose from but you can also have them build others plans if you desire, which we did. All of the people that work in there office are super nice and the owner was very nice too. I have nothing but good things to say about our experience. I highly reccommend them.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 9,275 times
My husband and I just moved into our first house, which was built by Alabama Heritage Homes. We love the house, the neighborhood, and the location. The home-building process was a very positive experience...as 1Simpleman stated, they have really good standard items & everyone was very nice. The general contractor who worked on our house even wanted to be there for our walk-through, and it was obvious that he was very proud of his work. The only negative thing I can say is about the entire process is about the company that installs their closet shelving. They did a good job on the installation, but we had trouble getting in touch with their representative, and she even failed to show up for an appointment we had with her at her own office. But other than that, everything was great! The home seems very well-built, and the electrical bill for our 2 story 3000 sq ft house is actually less than it was in the 1 bedroom apartment we just moved out of. My dad also works in construction, and he was impressed by the quality of the home & was surprised by the detail of workmanship for the price we paid.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 AM

6 posts, read 21,778 times
We found an Alabama Heritage Homes floorplan we liked but the only house they had finished was not in a good location for us. They had four in areas that would have worked for us but they were all about 2 months from being finished and we were looking to move into the house in about 3 weeks. Would have like to been in one but very happy with the one we bought.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,931 times
Speaking from experience, I would not build with Alabama Heritage Homes. Alabama Heritage Homes built our house in 2004, at first the staff was very friendly. However, we found so many problems after we moved in. We had at least 5 water leaks. We did not get a good quality house in my opinion. It was also very hard to get them to fix things. There are still a few things they did not fix that we just decided to lived with because we got tired of dealing with them. Before buying from them, I would go around a neighborhood they built and ask homeowners, if they had a good experience with Alabama Heritage Homes.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfrnndz View Post
Speaking from experience, I would not build with Alabama Heritage Homes. Alabama Heritage Homes built our house in 2004, ...
What might be a good predictor of housing build quality, might not be the builder itself but rather the year the home was built.

A home built during a housing boom (2004? Lots of construction, possible labor shortage) might be built with "guys off the street" ("It's good enough"; "The customer will never know"; "Looks close"; "That's probably right"; "We'll use this instead"; "10AM? Sure, I'll have another beer").

A home built today may employ only the most experienced craftsmen who don't want to risk doing shoddy work - jobs are tight right now.

Just a theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area