Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 11:50 AM

69 posts, read 138,395 times

Advertisements

So I decided to call the cops up, and ask them......where in the world would people go if a big tornado hit Huntsville, like the big one that rolled through Yazoo city in MS. It was 1.5 miles wide! I thought the maximum size of those could only grow to about the width of a few buildings, but 1.5 miles? for the funnel? that's insane....

Even if the tornado was a small one, the question in the discussion was: "Where is one of the safest areas people can goto in Huntsville, if major super cells, or Tornados were to come rolling through, that were predicted to have major damage associated with them?"

The cop responded, "You can park at the underground parking lot at bridgestreet, and not be arrested for loitering. and remain safe."

info shared......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,430,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_huntsville View Post

The cop responded, "You can park at the underground parking lot at bridgestreet, and not be arrested for loitering. and remain safe."

info shared......
Which you shouldn't have done, now you have to park on deck, for people will rush to the underground, before you will, unless you start the evac plan 6 hours before the event

But thanks for sharing, I'll save you a spot

Old 04-30-2010, 12:14 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,870,902 times
I always wonder about those parking deck / bridge shelter ideas. Wouldn't you just be sucked out if you're not anchored to anything?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,430,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_huntsville View Post
"Where is one of the safest areas people can goto in Huntsville, if major super cells, or Tornados were to come rolling through, that were predicted to have major damage associated with them?"

Take shelter in the new prison - nobody uses it anyway . Must've been built solid to protect the inmates from any "act of God", right? So, it's new, (presumably) safe and empty. I'd say, that's a wonderful $80Mil state-of-the-art tornado shelter. If it's from the people (taxpayer), for the people (safety), let the people use it.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:56 PM

889 posts, read 2,402,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
Take shelter in the new prison - nobody uses it anyway . Must've been built solid to protect the inmates from any "act of God", right? So, it's new, (presumably) safe and empty. I'd say, that's a wonderful $80Mil state-of-the-art tornado shelter. If it's from the people (taxpayer), for the people (safety), let the people use it.
I assume you mean the new county jail. If so, I've heard it's already full.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:44 AM

144 posts, read 433,647 times
Well, the best advice I can offer is to just stay tuned to the news, either by phone/Internet, TV, and weather radio. You can be better prepared by at least knowing when bad systems are coming and then taking the precautions. Most people that get injured (or worse) are those that are caught completely unaware of the potential conditions. There's a lot of people that either do not pay attention or just don't take it seriously since severe weather seems to be a seasonal routine.

My In-laws that live in Owen Cross Roads are both. We bought them a weather radio and they disabled it because it was annoying them. Last Friday and Saturday they were out and about doing errands and had absolutely no idea the the weather was bad all around them.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:47 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,397,294 times
For the OP the record for width of a funnel is 2+ miles wide in Hallam, Nebraska in 2004 I believe.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times
Is the funnel width of 1.5 miles the width of the funnel at ground elevation? Or, is it that wide a thousand feet up? If the latter, then what was the funnel width at ground elevation? Also, could that 1.5 miles have meant the width of the tornado path as perhaps the tornado was actually oscillating left and right as it made it's way forward? Or, could that 1.5 miles have meant there was wind damage in a 1.5 diameter of the tornado path?

Old 05-01-2010, 09:52 AM

39 posts, read 123,157 times
Charles, the width is determined based on the damage swath.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:11 PM

692 posts, read 1,505,104 times
I think I would be scared to park in underground parking, I have seen too many collapse under "normal" conditions to have faith in them. Plus that 25 minute ride to get to it would likely be more dangerous than staying put
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area