Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 PM

26 posts, read 72,965 times

Advertisements

We just moved here to Decatur a month ago from Wisconsin, and I'm trying to get things looking good.

The seller told us the lawn was 914 hybrid Bermudagrass. I've been reading everything I can find about this, and it's all upside down compared to what I'm used to.

First, there's brownish areas mixed in with the green grass. It's not patches, just a mix here and there. A neighbor said it was a nitrogen deficiency from not enough fertilizer. Make sense?

Our neighbor next door has a beautiful dark green lawn, one of those where it's so thick that you can't see between the blades of grass. It's so different that I wonder if it's Bermudagrass, but he says it is. He also said that our seller had always mowed the grass really short, and that Bermuda takes a "set" and won't grow any longer once it's been cut short repeatedly. That sounds weird.

Lastly, I've read that Bermuda should only be watered once a week or so, but I see sprinklers going all the time in my neighborhood.

Are there any lawn experts here who can set this all straight?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,222,254 times
If you don't get any replies then I can move your thread to the garden forum. Maybe someone there can help you.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 PM

956 posts, read 2,502,985 times
Here is some great info...http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publ...F/FSA-6121.pdf

I googled "bermuda grass care" and came up with several great pages. Do that and take a look. One is full of Q&A's...a few seemed to answer your issues. Sounds like not enough water and uneven fertilizing. The site I loaded here does mention not removing too much of the blade of grass at one time.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:17 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,869,822 times
I'm working on figuring it out too monkeyleg. I have some sort of bermuda. Fertilized twice thus far this year and I honestly haven't seen a difference. Happy to report that I did finally start winning the weed battle though. Parts of my sodded yard have thinned out such that some bare clay will show and the weeds take up residence. I'm thinking I'm going to have to add/top dress some better soil and seed.

Its really annoying to me to see lush thick, dark green yards near my house (also bermuda) while mine stays a perpetual thin yellow green. Lately, when I mow I'm not even mowing much grass... just seed stalks. I have a sprinker system so I know the lack of growth is not for lack of water.

I started the season mowing it low, so maybe that was the problem... I really don't know. I'm now letting it grow tall to see where that gets me.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:50 PM

26 posts, read 72,965 times
Keeper, if you think this belongs in another forum, I sure won't be upset if you move it.

Elizabeth, thanks for that article, although I've already read it. There's probably not too much I haven't read.

DvlsAdvc8, welcome to the party. Yours sounds like it's worse. My problem is that my neighbor has an absolute perfect lawn. I'm beginning to think he doesn't have Bermuda grass.

I just put down some Scotts Turf Building Plus 2 weed control. I also have a built-in sprinkler system, but with all the rain we've been having, I'm concerned about watering too much.

Maybe I'll call the lawn service that my Lawn King neighbor uses and see what they recommend.

It's bad enough being new to the neighborhood (and a Yankee, too) without having a crummy lawn.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:26 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,452,315 times
Go to the Botanical Garden and ask around - the employees or volunteers will help or point you to an expert.

The Huntsville Times publishes a weekly Saturday column by Harvey Cotton (of the Garden) - he has great tips plus you can contact him.

The Extension Service on Cook Ave (roughly Parkway and University behind Krispy Kreme) has experts who's job is to help you.

Lots of good info here:

The Alabama Cooperative Extension System

I get the most sincere compliments about my lawn from kids - they take their shoes off to walk through my lawn (bermudagrass).

Old 06-10-2010, 08:06 AM

268 posts, read 634,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyleg View Post
He also said that our seller had always mowed the grass really short, and that Bermuda takes a "set" and won't grow any longer once it's been cut short repeatedly.
This is BS. Let it grow a little longer if you want, and it will help it green up. I keep my bermuda longer than is fashionable and it thrives. If you cut it short you need to cut it very frequently, sometimes twice a week. I keep mine longer so that once a week cutting is adequate.

Only the tips of bermuda are green - it's also possible some of your "brown" is due to non-level ground.

People like to cut it short to get that "golf course" look, and also because it helps control weeds since few weeds (besides crab grass) can tolerate being cut low frequently. Some people cut it as low as 1/4" to 1/2", but you need very level ground and a reel mower for that to really work.

Quote:
Lastly, I've read that Bermuda should only be watered once a week or so, but I see sprinklers going all the time in my neighborhood.
It will grow deeper roots and be more drought-tolerant if you stick to a good soaking once a week. However, it will not hurt to water it more frequently as long as it is consistent.

Mulching is also good for the grass as it returns a lot of nutrients to the soil. However, some types of weeds will be reseeded when you mulch so it is not good to do if you are having weed control problems.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:46 AM

24,633 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Shane Harris is THE grass man within AL Extension Services. He is pretty good about returning calls.
Coosa County Extension Office - ACES Staff Directory

Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,841,346 times
Welcome to the south!! I can relate to your questions because when I moved to Wisconsin in 2001 , I had to relearn gardening all over. I remember being shocked that I couldn't plant pansies in Sept./Oct. for the winter!! Grass is very different too. I missed Bermuda because it really is less work when you get it going and uses less water. I would suggest getting a good lawn service and watching what they do for a year and let them get it weed free and GRUB free and disease free (which with all this rain and heat is prevalant right now). Then try it on your own. Good luck!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,438,314 times
I second contacting the Alabama Extension Service. The Morgan County office is in Hartselle. Those folks are knowledgeable, friendly, helpful (and yes, many are former Boy and Girl Scouts!). People think they're just for farmers, but they cover any kind of digging in the dirt, gardening, food preservation, etc. They just LOVE for people to consult them. 256-773-2549, The Alabama Cooperative Extension System
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area