Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:06 PM
SKB SKB started this thread

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times

Advertisements

We are now looking at making this purchase.
We are wondering what size are most people going with and what brand.

I have not noticed any homes for sale or rent that advertise they have a generator included with the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I would get a Diesel generator if possible. The average gasoline or gas powered generator set revs at too many RPM's and will not last for many hours. They also consume much more fuel than the Diesel engine. Diesel is the safest to store as well.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:08 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
We are now looking at making this purchase.
We are wondering what size are most people going with and what brand.

I have not noticed any homes for sale or rent that advertise they have a generator included with the home.

See below for reference on how to select a generator. This site is only for the purpose of information not as an advertising. The other option is to ask your local Home Depot or Lowes friends and they can also provide guidance on how to select the proper unit to satisfy your requirements.

Which One Do I Need?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:48 PM

250 posts, read 1,469,608 times
We have a 16kw guardian permanent standby generator. It runs on propane.
We had it running the other day as we had a bad thunderstorm and it cut the power out for a couple of hours. The generator kicked in automatically within 20 secs 9although I would say less than that as almost didnt notice it kicked in until the kids said their TV's had gone off...lol)

We basically have the following running on the generator:

-aircon
-refrigerator
-most of the amenties in the kitchen except for the oven and the dryer (we do have the washer hooked up)
-we have most lights and fans
-The main TV & computer (all other tv's are not)

Old 08-19-2007, 08:05 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I have as posted previous a 5500-8250 wired to separate outlets in house,all manual.I run pump,refrig,freezer,micro,dish-net and tv,computer and in small rm a 540w ac.I was down 5 days in 2005 used 6 gal. per 24 hour.I have 7,5 gal containers stored a long ways away in shed,use for mower and rotate as i fill and dump in vehicle at end of season.Generator in house outside garage.In garage have monoxide detector.Works perfect.Have used since several times.Minimal cost to set up.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:42 PM

Be aware that running sensitive electronics on a generator without frequency monitoring can be destructive. Unless your engine runs below 2000 RPM it will not survive weeks of continuous use. Most small engines have a fan-controlled speed governor and cannot respond quickly to changes in power load. You will not have a problem with fans or incandescent lights though. The easiest way to avoid destruction of your electronics is to plug them into UPS power supplies and then to your generator. Remember, a 4KW gasoline unit will consume 1 gallon every 3 hours at rated load. 12K unit consumes 1 gallon per hour.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:25 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Be aware that running sensitive electronics on a generator without frequency monitoring can be destructive. Unless your engine runs below 2000 RPM it will not survive weeks of continuous use. Most small engines have a fan-controlled speed governor and cannot respond quickly to changes in power load. You will not have a problem with fans or incandescent lights though. The easiest way to avoid destruction of your electronics is to plug them into UPS power supplies and then to your generator. Remember, a 4KW gasoline unit will consume 1 gallon every 3 hours at rated load. 12K unit consumes 1 gallon per hour.
I do have UPS and ran computer for 5 day's.My troybilt 5200 used 6 gal over 24 hrs.My computer would not survive without UPS because of lousy power from Suwannee Valley Electric.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:09 AM

14,951 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Default PTO generators

Just in case you have a tractor...... use the available Diesel, PTO generators are a great option.

I have a 10KW rated/12KW peak unit... on a small trailer, made by Tiger Power.

http://www.tiger-power.com/generator...-PTO10-04E.pdf
TigerPower PTO Generators / PTO Generators

On a general note... and most generator companies won't/don't tell you, try to match your "continious" load at no more than >75% rating (for efficiency). For example my 10KW generator would best be utilized at >75% rated output... 7.5KW (continuious). There is rated output, which is 10KW, and peak rated at 12KW.

I check mine at 50%= 5KW load using my tractor 22HP Yanmar Diesel, in my JD tractor, and I used less than .5 gals per hour.

In addition I installed a manual ON/OFF/ON switch, 200amp continual service (power co side) and 60amp secondary side. Works great and is a whole lot cheaper than a automatic throw-over, certainly not as convienant, but cheaper.

Interesting note... if you own a Diesel pick up... there is an after market company that makes a 25KW generator option installed on the PU and runs from the engine. Primarily used by job site contrators... it is popular with rural/remote home owners.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:02 AM

You can also buy this generator from Harbor Freight tools. It's from a company in China. I was thinking of trying that rig someday with a Diesel engine for my parent's house. My unit is a Ready Power from the early 50's and it runs 12 hours on a full tank of wood!

Old 09-03-2007, 05:30 PM

198 posts, read 959,342 times
With generators you get what you pay for. Buy a cheap one at lowes or home depot and it wont be able to take a 24x7 usage for weeks on end. Not to mention, they are REALLY LOUD, and everyone will know you have one.

I have a true honda 3000 which puts out 3000 watts peak, 2700 continous and it is only 67 Decibels @ 1 meter. (I run it on my back porch and you can barely hear it in my neighbors yard) It only uses 2.7 gallons of gas for 6 hours of use at 90% load. Honda also makes a smaller 2000 watt unit that uses even less gas for a 10 hour run time and it only outputs 57 decibels @ 1 meter.

I paid around 1400 for my unit from my local honda dealer. I could of easily went and got a troy built 5500 watt for a thousand less, but beware, those usually cant run at more than 50% of their max load and they suck down so much gas.

With my honda, I have piece of mind that when I go out there it will start on the first pull and keep me powered. If you did not know, honda makes the best small gas engine on the planet and if you cant afford a true honda generator, at least get one powered with a honda engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes