Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:35 AM

55 posts, read 735,688 times

Advertisements

Hello, what parts of florida are safer to live in from hurricanes? The east coast or Gulf of Mexico area? Please let me know....We are thinking about visiting and maybe moving there. But really not sure what side is safer from the weather? Thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Either side has a chance of getting a hurricane. I believe that the Miami and Keys area has the highest chance, though, and the Jacksonville area has the least.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:51 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
It's kind of like "Pin the Tail on the Donkey"....there is no one safe place.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:07 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,648 times
Generally, the South gets hit more, Gulf and Atlantic, but the Panhandle is also prone to landfalls. Here are some web sites:

Hurricane Strikes by State, 1900-1996

Hurricane Probabilities

Landfalling Hurricanes 1950-2002

Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,425,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
Hello, what parts of florida are safer to live in from hurricanes? The east coast or Gulf of Mexico area? Please let me know....We are thinking about visiting and maybe moving there. But really not sure what side is safer from the weather? Thanks !!
There is no safe place in Florida from Hurricanes.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 51,906 times
Hi:

To answer your questions, its very unpredictable where a hurricane hits, I have lived here more than 30 years and have only been involved in the Miami Hurricane a few years ago and the three we got in 2004 (ALL OF THESE WHERE ON THE EAST COAST) and thats in 30 years. The West Coast also gets hits, that is where Katrina went and parts of the Panhandle and Jacksonville got hit. Apparently it has to do with the water temperatures, the hotter side gets the hurricanes. At least with a hurricane you get warnings, where you do not with Tornados, Flooding, Ice Storms, etc. I feel very safe in Florida and would never leave her, even if there is a hurricane, unless I really have to go. Hope that helps you

Old 07-06-2007, 01:02 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
The safest place is any part of Florida beyond the storm surge in a well built building. The water is what takes the most life, not the wind (think New Orleans). I would rather deal with a hurricane than an earthquake, anyday. Do not trust your life to a poorly built home, go to a shelter if there is any doubt. If you decide to stay make sure you have supplies and a tarp to cover your home if the roof is damaged.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:27 PM

24 posts, read 137,465 times
good advice tallrick... we are from NJ and plan on moving to port cahrlotte area in the next year or so

Old 07-06-2007, 06:51 PM

262 posts, read 937,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
Hi:

To answer your questions, its very unpredictable where a hurricane hits, I have lived here more than 30 years and have only been involved in the Miami Hurricane a few years ago and the three we got in 2004 (ALL OF THESE WHERE ON THE EAST COAST) and thats in 30 years. The West Coast also gets hits, that is where Katrina went and parts of the Panhandle and Jacksonville got hit. Apparently it has to do with the water temperatures, the hotter side gets the hurricanes. At least with a hurricane you get warnings, where you do not with Tornados, Flooding, Ice Storms, etc. I feel very safe in Florida and would never leave her, even if there is a hurricane, unless I really have to go. Hope that helps you

There were four - an unprecedented number, I believe - in 2004. Charlie hit the gulf coast, making landfall in Port Charlotte and traveling up the center of the state. Hurricane Frances hit the east coast. Hurricane Ivan was the next FL hit - it landfell in the panhandle. Then Hurricane Jeanne struck the east coast, near where Frances made landfall. 2004 was a horrid year for FL, and we didn't fare so well in 2005 either - South FL got some serious damage from Wilma - although nothing was as bad as Charlie and the hammering the state took in '04.

Hotter sea surface temps fuel a hurricane, but wind shear plays a role as well. When shear is high enough, it shreds storms, impeding their development (one of the inhibiting factors in El Nino years).

Tallrick's advice is excellent - don't trust your safety to a poorly constructed home. And the closer you are to water, the more danger there is. Have a storm kit ready and tarps.

Wherever you decide to live, know if you'll need to evacuate for hurricanes - or flooding - and know the route you'll take. And know your elevation.

No part of FL is safe, although parts of the gulf coast (around the Tampa Bay area) haven't been hit as often as S. Florida's east coast. HOWEVER, when a major one hits Pinellas County - a peninsula with limited routes out - the damage will be worse and it's doubtful that all the residents who need to get out will be able to do so. S/W Tampa is in a similar situation. Charlie was originally forecast to hit us here in Tampa Bay, and that was nervewracking to watch it coming, before it was pushed eastward by an approaching front.

The part of FL hit least often - so far - has been the Jacksonville area. But that doesn't mean a big one won't strike. And really, it only takes one.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:31 AM

216 posts, read 829,144 times
I always thought that being away from the coast, whether east or west, was supposedly safer?

The hurricanes lose steam once they come ashore. Right??

FYI: i'm a NY- Long Islander; and for some some reason over the decades LI has earned the nickname "hurricane alley" - we occasionally gt them, but not like FL does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes