U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 AM

9,324 posts, read 24,433,060 times

Advertisements

Just remember, it goes in cycles. Next year may be woefully quiet, again. Let's hope we still have water by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 01:47 AM

228 posts, read 140,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
As I was responding to one of the other threads, this got me thinking. What is everyone's SHTF plan if faced with an imminent threat of a MAJOR hurricane? Let's say you had 24 hours or less to take action!
Sure. For a Cat 4-5 I'd def pack my most important **** in my van and drive far enough away out of its projected path.

By the way, hurricanes are NOT only spotted 24 hours in advance. Often we have about a week before to prepare.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:21 AM

8,053 posts, read 19,742,912 times
This is by far the quietest storm season I can ever remember.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 PM

11,338 posts, read 17,870,516 times
I'd be on the first thing smoking off of this death trap of an island.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:31 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,375,029 times
Don't have to worry about Cat 4 or 5 hurricanes in TN. The biggest danger here is tornadoes... in which case best hope is to hunker down in a basement or interior room.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:21 AM

73,118 posts, read 56,578,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
This is by far the quietest storm season I can ever remember.
Yup.. This is part of the cycle of the AMO/PDO flip. Atlantic Ocean is cooling down, Pacific is heating up.

but...
Active Season = Global Warming
Quiet Season = Climate Change

I'm glad I'm not brainwashed anymore. Just enjoy and talk about the weather and climate without fear or mentioning those 2 most scam and annoying things we're pushed upon..

Old 09-09-2015, 07:45 AM

539 posts, read 505,490 times
Being a new(ish) Florida resident (Jacksonville) these are all things i have had to ask myself. Due to where i live in the city (Riverside), the flooding is more of a concern than the wind to me.

Would we pack up and run? Not for a cat 1 or 2. IMO it is more hassle than its worth. I live in an older rented apartment building that is SOLID brick and concrete. The things is like a freaking castle, a 1-2 wouldn't even make me fear for my safety honestly.

Would you batten down the hatches and ride out the storm? Depending on flooding issue. I live in Jax only 3 blocks from the St. Johns river so flooding is a bigger issue than wind to me. Like i said above i live in a VERY solid place, but this means nothing when it comes to the water and flooding.

Would you stay around locally or would you flee FL? Being in Jacksonville we have an easier route the evacuate than say Miami. We have many different roads and directions to pick from, where in Miami you really can only go north. Cat 1-2 i wouldn't even consider leaving, 3 is a 50-50 and 4-5 I am out without a second thought.

What would you take with you, what would you leave behind? I would take my dog, medication, my gun, important documents, and smaller expensive electronics (Tablet, laptop). All my property is insured so stuff like the big flat-screen TV's and what not are meaningless and would take up to much space.

Where would you go? Either west towards Alabama or north towards Atlanta.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:07 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,463,750 times
Everyone thinks they know what they'd do when a hurricane is headed for your area but believe me you'll change your mind 20 times during the week one is headed your way. Go-stay-stay-go-stay-go. Hurricanes are slow but they change course and speed and are not predictable.

I grew up in Southeast Florida with many hurricanes and retired to Southwest Florida, in between I lived in Delaware and evacuated due to hurricanes there too. We experienced Hurricane Wilma as it went through Naples FL as a Cat 3 almost 4. Yes we were going to evacuate but at the last minute an idiot manager convinced my DH to stay. Manager was from PA what did he know?

Evacuate? The question is where? If your house is hurricane-safe, as our is now (not in Naples), it is safer than any hotel you scurry to and the hurricane might decide to follow you north or east or west. Wilma cut across Florida to the east coast. Being 50 miles from the coast is not a "safe place".

Fly out? That's a good idea if you don't have a job, have lots of money, no kids in school and do it a week in advance. During that week the hurricane might disappear, change course, etc.

Stay put? Better have hurricane shutters on all openings (including doors), the right kind of roof and your house is above flood plain (80% of Florida's are below flood plain). Our house is above flood-plain with hurricane shutters and we still don't want to be here for a Cat 4 or 5.

It was easier in the 1960's when we didn't have so many decisions to make. Most Floridians today as in the past just hunker down and drink. A relative in Texas went through Rita and obeyed the evacuation order. That is until he saw the utter chaos on the freeway and turned his car around and brought his family back home. He said highway looked like Mad Max and it was safer at home.

Start making your home safe NOW, don't wait to go get plywood, get hurricane coverings for all windows and doors, they also work for tornados. If you live in a flood plain think about moving (selling) to a safer place. Decide where you'd fly to if you have that option (is anyplace safe) and then don't change your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or