U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:38 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
857 posts, read 2,733,428 times

Advertisements

I been through a few hurricanes and it is great that there is a channel that will really track it and give up to the minute details - but it seems in the last two years and especially this year they are chomping at the bit for some tropical action in the Atlantic. That blond girl in the morning seems disappointed that no real circulation develops with some small storms.

I think Jim Camtori is hanging on a pole somewhere practicing and getting in shape so he can hang on in the high winds to show us how powerful hurricanes are - Maybe its my imagination lol and that will be left undisputed. But they hype the hurricane central thing a bit much - I wonder if advertising revenue goes up when a tropical depression starts off the coast of Africa?

I'm tired from staining a fence so who knows....

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 07-23-2007 at 03:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:03 PM

13,806 posts, read 27,112,921 times
I've noticed the same thing, but I think it's more of a not wanting egg on their faces two years in a row thing.. I believe last year was more active than this year and, except for Bermuda, it was VERY quiet last year.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:18 PM

4,411 posts, read 9,282,009 times
If we get a hurricane again, I want Anderson Cooper to visit. That way, I know the hurricane won't make landfall here since AC usually picks the wrong city to broadcast from.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:43 PM

19 posts, read 33,309 times
A tropical storm would be great if it went up the gulf coast and into Mississippi and Alabama.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,949,428 times
Bovine, sorry but I had to laugh at your name. I don't think we've met here before.

But in response to your question, YES~I definitely think you're right. I doubt that any of them really want to see lives lost, but it's probably a "high" for them and it sure gets increased ratings!

And yea, they do probably realize they'll look unreliable if they're forecast for a large amount of canes doesn't materialize again.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:06 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
857 posts, read 2,733,428 times
yeah its a funny name. Seems every time I want to see the weather which is useless for me anyway they are giving a report on how there is no tropical activity. Seems like a good thing to me so move on and give the weather!
Then they track any tropical storm in the world and say well in bingabondo there was a circular motion blah blah lol....whats the weather!

I will stick to looking out the window for my weather...

Old 07-24-2007, 09:47 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,444,961 times
My thought is that if a hurricane does hit somewhere then The Weather Channel gets better ratings. So for them, storms of any kind and hurricanes equal more viewers and more money for them.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:09 PM

5,915 posts, read 16,577,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moot View Post
A tropical storm would be great if it went up the gulf coast and into Mississippi and Alabama.
Just curious...why do you think it would be great?

Old 07-25-2007, 06:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 60,405,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
My thought is that if a hurricane does hit somewhere then The Weather Channel gets better ratings. So for them, storms of any kind and hurricanes equal more viewers and more money for them.
I totally agree with you Roma it kinda like weathermen in californinia have worse ratings than on east coast.

A good hurricanes means more watchers and more ad dollars

Old 07-25-2007, 02:02 PM

13,806 posts, read 27,112,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Just curious...why do you think it would be great?
I think it's because they seriously need rain and a tropical storm is usually a LOT of rain without the massive winds of a hurricane. Plus by the time a hurricane made it up there it's usually a TS anyhow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or