U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:40 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,019 posts, read 4,244,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingDragon View Post
Although the mid-Atlantic is not vulnerable as often as FL. to hurricanes,
I am a lifelong eastcoaster and can assure you, MortonR, that wise preparedness is not at all the same as angst. Our nor'easters are similar except that it's cold as heck and we know that we could be facing a week or two without heat in 30 degree(-) temps. Mere mention of snow and they close the schools, we hit the grocery stores to strip the shelves bare of milk, bread and toilet paper when we know doggone well that we don't even need any, plus even if we did, we have four-wheel drive vehicles the size of tanks that could get us to the store later in the day. It ain't angst, MortonR. It's just a "thang".
I came here from Wisconsin - you're not telling me anything I don't already know.

The big difference between a nor'easter, blizzard, whatever, and a hurricane is that with a hurricane there is as much as a week's notice. Every time you turn on the darned TV there is a report about it, followed by reports on previous hurricanes that struck the area. The build-up is awful, which is part of the angst I'm talking about.

I grew up in the Midwest and lived there until I moved here, and I can tell you without question, that the differences are substantial. . . you don't have to worry about a blizzard leveling your house, nor do you have to board up windows or evacuate. . . .

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 02:26 PM

Location: Kent Island, MD-->Crystal River, FL. next stop: New Smryna Beach : ]
27 posts, read 75,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I came here from Wisconsin - you're not telling me anything I don't already know.

The big difference between a nor'easter, blizzard, whatever, and a hurricane is that with a hurricane there is as much as a week's notice. Every time you turn on the darned TV there is a report about it, followed by reports on previous hurricanes that struck the area. The build-up is awful, which is part of the angst I'm talking about.

I grew up in the Midwest and lived there until I moved here, and I can tell you without question, that the differences are substantial. . . you don't have to worry about a blizzard leveling your house, nor do you have to board up windows or evacuate. . . .

RM
I would not argue with you about the hype because as soon as a system appears, we would always receive non-stop reports in my area (mid-Atlantic)
too, on the off chance that it may come up our way. The news definately wrings the dickens out of the sensationalisim, that's obvious, but the updates are appreciated, nonetheless.

I came here because I love the tropical feel and I've just always loved Florida. There's just always going to be "stuff" everywhere, MortonR,
we are "tested" all the time. I would be more scared of California with their
earthquakes but a whole heck of a lot of ppl live there angst-free in
spite of that.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:34 PM

2,156 posts, read 10,365,075 times
there is one advantage to living up here in the Midwest and that is I don't have to worry about drowning in my living room. can't say the same for the folks living on Sanibel and Captiva in southwest Florida. Nor do I have to worry about Gators, Nile Monitor Lizards, poisonous snakes, killer bees and other critters of Florida.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:45 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,260,924 times
This Hurricane isn't going to get me down. Been through Charley and we are still here and didn't drown in our living room!!!! If you are prepared then you will be OK. Be smart and be prepared!
Glad you do not have to worry about gators in the midwest Southside!
Stay put and enjoy your state

Old 08-27-2006, 02:52 PM

976 posts, read 3,546,421 times
They said it has a good chance of dying down over the mountains of Cuba. Anyway, Florida is ready. They said they are the best well-prepared state in the nation in case of a natural disaster. Everything will be cleaned up within the next 2 days after the storm, saying if it even hits Florida. Its not even very strong. Its very unorganized. It looks like it will die down in Cuba.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:52 PM

Again, I came down with a motorhome and that could explain some bravado, if you will. My plan is to stay and purchase a home but to always have this home on wheels to get out of dodge in a hurry. You need a plan of sorts in every area in these times. I am happy to be away from D.C. Nobody is safe.
You can only live each day the best you can. I will miss the snow, but I feel that this is a better place and my son & grandchildren are here.
No argument on any counts, MortonR. This was only a natural progression for me. Everybody's milage may vary.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
This Hurricane isn't going to get me down. Been through Charley and we are still here and didn't drown in our living room!!!! If you are prepared then you will be OK. Be smart and be prepared!
Glad you do not have to worry about gators in the midwest Southside!
Stay put and enjoy your state
I come down to visit your Gators and Crocs at Ding Darling and always find that to be very enjoyable. walking around in the dark on Sanibel gets a little eerie at nighttime because one never knows what he may encounter.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:03 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,260,924 times
Southside, I get a kick out of the iguana's on Sanibel. They are awsome.
Ding Darling seems interesting but we have never been there.
The Corksrew Sanctuary is another great place to see nature too. We go in November and its wonderful. You get to see lots of creatures!
There is so much wildlife down here, I find it simply amazing to live in such a natural place. We too are selling but will come down in our Motorhome in the winter months like Sleepingdragon does.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:09 PM

Bamboosmom
yes Sanibel has a lot of Iguanas but they tend to stay on the Bay side of the island. However once in a while one can be spotted hanging out around West Gulf Drive.

the wildlife on Sanibel is fantastic and I highly recommend seeing it. if you go to Ding Darling take a walk along Indigo Trail because you will see a lot of birds, gators, and even a giant croc.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:22 PM

SleepingDragon ADORES Iguanas. I would want to take them all home.
So many iggers... such a small home right now. : (

If I could open an iguana sanctuary in FL. I would be in heaven.
I know that many have been released and are running wild. : (
at least they are warm here.

The sale of lizards at the flea mkt. depresses me too. : ( : ( : (
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or