Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:17 AM

Location: Kent Island, MD-->Crystal River, FL. next stop: New Smryna Beach : ]
27 posts, read 81,177 times

Advertisements

Good morning, Florida. Please report any and all sightings of Jim Cantore'
asap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 07:28 AM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times
I would guess that Jim should be showing up soon. The similarity of the estimated track of Ernesto to how Charley went is not comforting. When Charley came through here on the north side of Orlando, we got 90 mph+ winds and lots of roof and tree damage, power out for two days. Not exactly the way that I would want to spend the Labor Day weekend.

But one thing about hurricanes is that you never know exactly how they are going to go. So you just prepare the best you can and see how the dice roll. And keep an eye our for Jim!!!!

Old 08-27-2006, 08:09 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
You guys are funny. I remember one of the dj's on the morning crew on a Sarasota radio station pointing out that the bad part of the storm is usually NOT where Jim Cantore goes. So, maybe a sighting would not be such a bad thing after all. Hunker down everyone!

Old 08-27-2006, 09:26 AM

894 posts, read 4,349,672 times
Just saw Jim on the weather channel reporting from Bilixi, talking about the new beachfront condo real estate taking over.....

Old 08-27-2006, 11:38 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,382 times
I agree that Ernesto is very similar to the track of Charlie.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:45 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
This is one of the things that I hate about Florida. . . it's not the potential for getting hit by a hurricane, it's all the angst over when one approaches. . .

RM

Old 08-27-2006, 11:49 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,382 times
Morton
you're right about all the angst. maybe that explains why more permanent residents are just electing to stay put and ride them out.

I wonder how the residents of Sanibel and Captiva are reacting to Ernesto's approach. think I would probably be prepared to leave there and head for the mainland.

Old 08-27-2006, 12:32 PM

Location: Kent Island, MD-->Crystal River, FL. next stop: New Smryna Beach : ]
27 posts, read 81,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
This is one of the things that I hate about Florida. . . it's not the potential for getting hit by a hurricane, it's all the angst over when one approaches. . .

RM
Although the mid-Atlantic is not vulnerable as often as FL. to hurricanes,
I am a lifelong eastcoaster and can assure you, MortonR, that wise preparedness is not at all the same as angst. Our nor'easters are similar except that it's cold as heck and we know that we could be facing a week or two without heat in 30 degree(-) temps. Mere mention of snow and they close the schools, we hit the grocery stores to strip the shelves bare of milk, bread and toilet paper when we know doggone well that we don't even need any, plus even if we did, we have four-wheel drive vehicles the size of tanks that could get us to the store later in the day. It ain't angst, MortonR. It's just a "thang".

Old 08-27-2006, 12:48 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,433 times
lol poor jim. But you're right better to see him on the tv and not in your town. I'm sure he gets that alot.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:33 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,676 times
No Jim..hopefully, he has no need to come by.
Though, I must say that the weather here is absolutely gorgeous...always is when there are storms around the vecinity. If it were to go into Cuba's S.E. area, where the 'Sierra Maestra is (all tall mountains), it will break it apart a bit. Anyway, one never knows with these things but the good thing is we can see where it's going, so I'll worry about this Ernesto fellow maybe tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes