U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 16,436 times

Advertisements

my gal and i have lived here for a combined total of 100 years. we were born here and never have departed.

cant count all the h/canes and we are still here.

have lived in jacksonville sarasota melrose port charlotte
obrien lake city orange park dowling park and venice florida in all those years.

everywhere we have lived here has had great memories

florida has weather issues. so does 49 other states. basically if you stay out of very low areas check the flood maps for yourself. dont trust any realtor or brokers word on flooding. things change so check latest maps on your own.

listen to the weather person when they say take cover. do it or leave. dont move on the coast unless you can afford to suffer the cost that can and will come from our mothers fury. if you can afford waterfront and thats what you want. you can afford to have another home somewhere away from coast to flee to.

build as good of a home as you can afford and be part of the process. you will be fine here.

but to try to stay on topic. the
area around suwannee and columbia county is where we consider the safest. land is still reasonable and somewhat rural for privacy but also close enough for the things we all want and need.

btw i experianced my first earth quake of my life sitting right here in north florida the other day. :O wow

good luck on any move here folks. ill be glad to chat with anyone that wants a natives view on an area.

best regards john and lesia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,128 times
Default It's not the Hurricanes that will hit you in Florida...

It not the Hurricanes in Florida that is the problem it is the INSURANCE in Florida. I live in Pasco County which has NOT had a direct hit from a Hurricane since the 1930's however it is IMPOSSIBLE to get insurrance for your house here. People who own 900 sq ft homes over 40 miles away from the water are paying $5800 for insurance yearly and are looking foward to MORE increases!! Please check it out! Also you can read my post "Fighting Insurance Increases" I am a Floridian since the age of 3 and if something dosen't drastically change I will be forced to move OUT of my home state! It is also affecting business who can no longer get insurance. Just yesterday Cypress Gardens Adventure Park announced they are closing due to the high rates. Aslo may I note Florida is one of the lowest wage paying states in the US.
The question is...Why would anyone want to move here now?

Old 09-13-2006, 11:10 AM

165 posts, read 614,176 times
Unhappy hurricanes/earthquakes

I stated elsewhere that hurricanes can happen anywhere......though some places get a lot of them. However, west coast Florida just experienced one----and they CAN happen in the NY area. Just goes to show you (about Mother Nature.....)...... Yea, the insurance is the main problem today........... Something has got to give........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or