U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:17 PM

31 posts, read 112,980 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what areas of florida are NOT hit by hurricanes. I am planning to relocate from ny, but I dont want to have to worry about hurricanes. Thanks in advance for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 08:53 PM

1,305 posts, read 5,157,488 times
Sorry, there is no area of Florida that does not get hit by hurricanes.

However, there is also no area of the East Coast, including most of NY, that cannot be hit by a hurricane.

The worst hurricane I ever experienced hit us while we were on top of a mountain in NW North Carolina. That was Hurricane Hugo. It tore up Charleston, blew apart Columbia, SC, devastated Charlotte, NC and left the power off for weeks, knocked over trees in Hickory, NC, climbed the mountains just East of Boone, NC and crossed over our cabin, then went on into Virginia and West Virginia.

I repeat, if you are anywhere in the eastern 1/3 of NY, you are almost the same danger of a hurricane as you would be in Florida, except for one big difference -- Florida folks are prepared; NY folks aren't.

I have lived in Florida for over 34 years. The first 32, I never saw a hurricane. The last two years, we were directly hit by Frances, Jeanne and Wilma. I lost some roof shingles, and the screens in my pool enclosure were blown out.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:58 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,590,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpassaro View Post
Can someone tell me what areas of florida are NOT hit by hurricanes. I am planning to relocate from ny, but I dont want to have to worry about hurricanes. Thanks in advance for your help.
If you go here you will find charts that will show you historacly where hurricanes are prone to hit.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
Northern central Florida is much less likely then say Miami that is in the path almost the moment a storm develops. The thing is you don't have to be all that scared of hurricanes if you have a substantial house and make it as safe as you can.

I am moving to an area that is actually in the path of storms but we are building a safe house and I don't plan on giving it a second thought. I live in Fort Lauderdale now and we are high risk but my trees are trimmed and I have shutters, the yard is not full of junk.

Just recently I had my roofer friend spend the day on my roofs and just do what ever looked like needed to be done. He replaced some shingles and did some patching around the chimney. Nothing had been leaking the roofs are fairly new, but I like to do preventative things to be sure I don't have any problems. He charged me $225. and it is well spent money.

Point is if you do what you can and there is nothing really to be afraid of. Even if you live in a trailer, as long as you know you better not be there if there is a storm and the trailer could be lost. Once you accept that reality you can even enjoy Mobil home living, if it blows away, it blows away.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:05 PM

2,156 posts, read 10,405,003 times
don't forget Hurricane Charley which tore up Sanibel, Captiva, Port Charlotte and other parts of Florida. Captiva is just getting back on track and doesn't need another big one.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
don't forget Hurricane Charley which tore up Sanibel, Captiva, Port Charlotte and other parts of Florida. Captiva is just getting back on track and doesn't need another big one.
I think people who live in places like that have sort of a fatalistic attitude and don't even worry about it. If they did they couldn't live there they would spend all their time worrying and not living.

My sister-in-law has a house in Key West that is like 60 or 70 years old. She doesn't even have storm insurance on it. It has been flooded a few times and they repaired everything but they just have a different mind set then most people.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:25 PM

2,156 posts, read 10,405,003 times
Macguy
The people I know on Captiva were hit hard by Charley, emotionally and economically, and it's taken them a long time to make a comeback. Another friend down in Key West whose home was badly flooded and damaged last season bought a second property in a small town up in North Central Florida to be able to get out of hurricane alley when one is coming.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:37 PM

1,305 posts, read 5,157,488 times
Certainly people go through emotional and even physical turmoil because of hurricanes.

But, folks, lets put this in perspective. 3,543 people were killed in FLorida last year due to automobile accidents. Think of the upheaval these deaths caused to tens of thousands of people associated with those who were killed.

If you want to be worried about something, worry about getting in your car and driving to work. Hurricanes are nothing in comparison.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:13 PM

18 posts, read 52,491 times
Yea perspective. Millions of people in Florida were damaged by the Hurricanes. Rates go up for insurances, jobs get lost while some temporary construction job is created. Sure, you can bring up the car accidents, but that really has nothing to due with the fact that some people are afraid to have a storm damage their home or risk their well being or job. And obesity kills hundreds of thousands a year making your car fact seem small. Many of those just can't keep a twinkie or hamburger out of their mouth. Or they sit in front of a tv or computer for hours on their cellulite ass.That's an even bigger shame because it is preventable.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byebyeflorida View Post
Yea perspective. Millions of people in Florida were damaged by the Hurricanes. Rates go up for insurances, jobs get lost while some temporary construction job is created. Sure, you can bring up the car accidents, but that really has nothing to due with the fact that some people are afraid to have a storm damage their home or risk their well being or job. And obesity kills hundreds of thousands a year making your car fact seem small. Many of those just can't keep a twinkie or hamburger out of their mouth. Or they sit in front of a tv or computer for hours on their cellulite ass.That's an even bigger shame because it is preventable.
You are trying to compare natural disaster to human endeavor, one has nothing to do with the other. I doubt anybody can do anything about hurricanes so one must learn to live with them.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:37 PM

165 posts, read 615,119 times
I am a fatalist.....I am cautious, I preplan and prepare....and then I forget about it until something happens...... If you are a little afraid of hurricanes, remember that there are natural disasters everywhere and every place has something wrong with it (I'm fron NJ) You should check out ways to live in Florida and how to prepare..... I posted some good stuff ?? on other posts..... However, if you can't get rid of the fear and have more like a phobia, then you will probably be jumpy and miserable.....and I'd think twice before coming here.... No matter how nice it is here, you have to be comfortable..... Good luck.

A lot of Florida living for a person like me is preparation: Buying a solid cement block exterior house, having window and door protection (wood panels but I am waiting for metal storm panels to be made), buying in a high and dry area that is a non-flood non-evacuation zone. You can get or buy a good roof or properly anchor the one you have...... My house is in a working class area and much cheaper than the average house bought by people on these posts......you can get a cr*ppy area--hurricane wise--no matter how expensive..... I hope I gave you some food for thought. And yes, don't come here if you really are scared....you can't live your life in fear.

Last edited by Marka; 09-13-2006 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or