U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2006, 05:03 AM

6 posts, read 22,563 times

Advertisements

Moving to Kissimmee area in a dozen days.... Coming from Southern California. My Brother and I have been hired as Disney Imagineers, Cg art department. We love water sports of all kinds and everything Disney. All seems quite perfect, and Central Florida a perfect fit, but along comes Ernesto........... ....Now what?

We know all to well about earthquakes,but this is all totally new to us. My question to you veterans of hurricanes is how many Ernesto type hurricanes threaten the orlando/Kissimmee area in a year on average?

We are quite excited about coming out to Kissimmee the Bellalago area on West Toho lake, but this puts a damper on things a bit. I hope you can educate me a bit on this please. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 11:09 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,251,893 times
Orlando got hit with Hurricane Charley back in 04. There was damage but when you are inland it isn't as severe as on the coast. You just have to be prepared and watch your local news for changing info. Ernesto is changing by the hour, going west, then going north, then back west. Just keep yourself informed with the weather channel and local channels. Always have batteries, water, a generator and plenty of gas incase!!
Welcome to Florida, hope you love it as we do!

Old 08-29-2006, 11:12 AM

2,156 posts, read 10,341,531 times
does anyone know if the Ft Myers International airport will likely be open for landings around 5 pm today or is the weather going to likely shut down the airport?

Old 08-29-2006, 11:15 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,251,893 times
Default Good question

I haven't heard anything on the noon news about closing the airport. If I hear anything I will let you know. I am sure they are still operating as of now.
The storm isn't suppose to hit until late tonight, early tomm. morning.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM

2,156 posts, read 10,341,531 times
thanks Bamboosmom. I appreciate any follow-up info since a family member is scheduled to fly in there a little after 5 today. Weather Channel indicates there will be scattered thunderstorms late this afternoon and on into this evening.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:30 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,554,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
thanks Bamboosmom. I appreciate any follow-up info since a family member is scheduled to fly in there a little after 5 today. Weather Channel indicates there will be scattered thunderstorms late this afternoon and on into this evening.
I would just call the airline.

Last edited by macguy; 08-29-2006 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-29-2006, 12:41 PM

131 posts, read 990,582 times
Relatively speaking Kissimmee (make sure you pronounce it kuh-SIM-me when you get here) is a pretty safe area as far as hurricanes go. While all of Florida has the potential to be affected by a storm from time to time, the center of the state typically sees weather a fair bit milder then what is received on the coast. As a matter of fact, the few times I have evacuated the coast I have always evacuated to Central Florida to stay with family.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:23 PM

165 posts, read 613,146 times
Red face hurricanes....

Nothing is guaranteed in life, no matter where you live. Some hurricane seasons are active and some are not.....but the biggie is if ONE hits YOU! ................................ The best you can do anywhere is prepare. They have storm basements in tornado country..... ............. If you buy a home in Florida, get a solid cement block (exterior) home. I lived in Puerto Rico with hurricanes and that is the ONLY way to go....I don't care what others say. No self respecting Puerto Rican would turn down a cement house if he could afford it......... Try to get a good roof.....they say the best are built in four directions like a pyramid..... Roof tie downs can be used--we did in Puerto Rico--though most Floridians think I am nuts. Get a high and dry house that says it is a non-flood, non-evacuation zone. Hey, you don't need flood insurance and that can get pricey.............. Make sure you budget for some kind of window and glass door protection. Hurricane roll-ups and shutters are expensive.... Hurricane panels are medium priced..... And 3/4 inch exterior plywood properly installed usually works real good........ I would NOT be without my window protection even if I may use it once or twice in several years..... Prepare with food, water, medicine, etc. when you get a serious warning--usually 3 days or less before it hits....do not wait until the day before..... There are even more suggestions on reinforcing your roof, preparing and so on in government pamphlets, newspapers, and on the internet. ....................................I leave it to others and other posts to give you all the juicy on the $%#$ hurricanes, but planning and preparation is very important. New Orleans is lower than sea level for $%$# sakes! Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or