Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 06:40 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times

Advertisements

Really? Well, that wasn't worth all the fuss, really, we had worse conditions earlier this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 06:40 AM

233 posts, read 269,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Hurricane Irene has made landfall on Queens as a Category 1. This is the first time that a hurricane made landfall on NYC since the late 1880's.
I wonder how they are detecting landfall with no eye left. I was just watching the weather channel and they noted there was no eye left and the couldn't actually detect where landfall technically would be, then they said oh well it doesn't matter.

The south side of this nor easter has completely dried up. This will greatly reduce the amount of rain, so that's good. If they drop the wind speed 2 mph, it will only technically be a TS.

Yep, I was right!

Last edited by VeniceBound; 08-28-2011 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Now a TS

Old 08-28-2011, 06:43 AM

233 posts, read 269,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
On the times square webcam, people are stop walking around. It doesn't seem that dangerous to be honest., they're not even struggling to stand up or walk, nor are their umbrellas.

LOL...Yep. That's what I've been saying. Massive hype for ratings.

It's been fun watching the experts squirm trying to explain away the lack of intensity and damage relative to what they hyped.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
I wonder how they are detecting landfall with no eye left. I was just watching the weather channel and they noted there was no eye left and the couldn't actually detect where landfall technically would be, then they said oh well it doesn't matter.

The south side of this nor easter has completely dried up. This will greatly reduce the amount of rain, so that's good. If they drop the wind speed 2 mph, it will only technically be a TS. Something tells me that they are only saying it's 75 mph to be able to say it was a hurricane that hit NYC.
There is a center of circulation in the storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Really? Well, that wasn't worth all the fuss, really, we had worse conditions earlier this year.
We had more wind here with the boxing day blizzard lol

Quote:

It's been fun watching the experts squirm trying to explain away the lack of intensity and damage relative to what they hyped.
There was no reason to evacuate people.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Quote:

You are one very strange and ignorant person. You act as though the experts are able to forecast with absolute certainty something that mother nature creates. I guess you also believe the experts should be able to forecast exact locations and intensity of earthquakes too. How about tornadoes? Maybe lightning strikes?

Old 08-28-2011, 06:58 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
England has regularly had far worse than what Irene brings to NYC. October 1987 storm, January 1990 storms, January 2007, serious storms killing many people and causing massive destruction and strong enough to be classified as hurricanes. The Jan 2007 storm took half the roof off one of my university buildings, among other things. As for rain well Englands also had worse rain than Irene brings to NYC, like the 4" in a couple of hours in July 2007 in southern England.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:00 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,360 times
NHC just said that it made landfall on Coney Island as a Tropical Storm with winds of 65mph.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
It's almost over
Glad to hear it. It's almost as if the media "wants" it to be terrible. It's smart to be prepared and play it safe but stupid to panic.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Quote:
NHC just said that it made landfall on Coney Island as a Tropical Storm with winds of 65mph.
There was just an update (9:00am EST) and the winds are still at 75mph Cat 1 speed.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Who cares?

Lower Manhattan is CURRENTLY flooding from overflow of the Hudson and East Rivers, into Battery Park, West Village and meat pkg areas...

We care about PEOPLE , not who has the worst weather.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
England has regularly had far worse than what Irene brings to NYC. October 1987 storm, January 1990 storms, January 2007, serious storms killing many people and causing massive destruction and strong enough to be classified as hurricanes. The Jan 2007 storm took half the roof off one of my university buildings, among other things. As for rain well Englands also had worse rain than Irene brings to NYC, like the 4" in a couple of hours in July 2007 in southern England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes