Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times

Advertisements

Death toll raised to 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 02:01 PM

Gilboa Dam (Gilboa, NY in the Catskill Mountains) is under a potential failure situation (Level B) from locally wet soil conditions, heavy rains and excessive pressure from Irene.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Slideshow of damages in NE PA.

Hurricane Irene Slideshow - WNEP (http://www.wnep.com/weather/severeweatherhome/wnep-photogallery-hurricane-irene-slideshow-20110828,0,7518952.photogallery - broken link)
Significant local damage and flooding a good bit inland. (Of course the idiots would say Irene was just a 'tempest in a teapot'.)

Old 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Highstown, NJ

Just a little ol' no-nothing cloud passed overhead.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:38 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Did they fail to hype Katrina enough? I recall it was very deadly and very costly. Just curious.
Oh but we aren't supposed to be comparing different regions, right?

Katrina had wide open spaces over the Gulf to build up strength, not over land like Irene. Katrina had nice, warm waters from the Gulf to help build up strength, not cold waters off the coast of the North East. Katrina was in the right place to build, Irene was not. All Irene could do was lose strength, as she did.

And for Katrina, they did tell people to evacuate. In NOLA, there would have been some damage, naturally, she was a powerful hurricane not a Cat 1 or Tropical Storm, (huge difference), but the levees did not hold up. Now, if the politicians would have listened when they had been told, over the years, that the levees would fail, if they would have heeded those warnings and spent the money to repair or fix those levees, years and years before Katrina ever came about, the destruction and chaos that happened would not have had to be that bad.

Katrina is not Irene. Katrina was in the Gulf with room and warm waters to grow. Irene went north along the coast and in cold waters where her only choice was to lose strength.

Katrina and Irene are not even remotely the same.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Tropical storms are more common in coastal Texas than coastal New Jersey or New England.

We're not used to tropical storms and you're not used to winter weather. Different climates, different regions.
I understand that. But as has been pointed out by...Venice, I think is the name, it seems to me you guys have had crazier, more wicked weather in the past with ice storms and nor'easters and the like that should have made Irene just another one of those types of storms as far as preparations and remaining calm. If the media had presented it in a calm manner, perhaps some people who freaked out, (and you can see some of them on the city data forum on any of these several threads about Irene), would not have been "scared to death". That's what I have a problem with.

I do not believe that scaring the crap out of people is the proper way to report impending storms.

On a side note: I actually am used to winter. I grew up with winter. I left, went to sunnier pastures and I'm now back in an area with winters again. I have experienced everything except a tornado and frankly, I do not want to experience a tornado. But everything else? Meh.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:37 PM

233 posts, read 269,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I understand that. But as has been pointed out by...Venice, I think is the name, it seems to me you guys have had crazier, more wicked weather in the past with ice storms and nor'easters and the like that should have made Irene just another one of those types of storms as far as preparations and remaining calm. If the media had presented it in a calm manner, perhaps some people who freaked out, (and you can see some of them on the city data forum on any of these several threads about Irene), would not have been "scared to death". That's what I have a problem with.

I do not believe that scaring the crap out of people is the proper way to report impending storms.
Perfectly presented.

I have nothing else to add. 'Til next time.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:30 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
85 mile an hr winds just predicted for NYC...and also skyscraper windows expected to blow out...

take care and be safe.
The highest winds that I had was 60 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Really? Well, that wasn't worth all the fuss, really, we had worse conditions earlier this year.
I had worse conditions during blizzards than I had during this storm. It was much worse in other parts of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Glad to hear it. It's almost as if the media "wants" it to be terrible. It's smart to be prepared and play it safe but stupid to panic.
It was really stupid to evacuate and make it sound like the end of the world was coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
So then no hurricane will hit NYC? It's basically a good ole nor easter?
It was a Tropical Storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
You were acting concerned and very excited about the heavy rain and winds last night.
I'm a weather weenie.

Quote:
Hey, there are many people in this thread pointing out this is not the storm they claimed it would be. That bothers you for some reason. Were you wishing for some storm of historic proportions that would cause the 10 - 15 billion dollars in damage the experts were claiming it would?

If that's the case, I'm glad you were disappointed.
I thought it was going to be much worse because of what the models showed. The Euro had a Cat 3 storm hitting Cape May and then a Cat 2 hitting here. JB and LC had over 80 mph winds for NYC and 12 inches of rain. A lot of people were overhyping this storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm totally swiping that, Tony.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch TWC again to see how they can hype up a 15 mph wind gust.
TWC is horrible. I don't know why people still watch it. It has good coverage when hurricanes are going on but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Tropical storms are more common in coastal Texas than coastal New Jersey or New England.

We're not used to tropical storms and you're not used to winter weather. Different climates, different regions.
That is why they made it a big deal. This was the 1st time in a long time that a Hurricane came up here.

Quote:
Does this nor easter look familiar to TS Irene that hit NYC? It actually looks stronger. A nice defined eye.

Nor'easter - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Nor'easters also can cause coastal flooding, coastal erosion, hurricane force winds"

"Nor'easters can be devastating and damaging"

In the nor easter below, the death toll was 13. So yes, the death toll is EXACTLY equivalent to a nor easter.

1991 Perfect Storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"the death toll was thirteen"
The Boxing Day Blizzard and the Feb 2006 blizzard had a better eye than Irene.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:04 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
As storms go, Irene proved to be not that bad. What made the flooding bad was the level of saturation from previous storms in the previous weeks. I think we had about 3 inches of rain here in SE Pa from the storm, maybe 40 MPH wind gusts. The big losers were the cable news channels and particularly TWC. Some of my favorite TWC hypes: They'll point out a band of rain and how its drenching an area.... out at sea. Or they'll say this will be a devastating storm causing historic damage... potentially. And there's always the reporter standing out looking at ominous clouds and rain trying to find something that was blown over.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 PM

Tony - Just because your particular area did not receive much damage does not mean that other areas (even very nearby you) didn't. It should be very clear to you from the news showing all the damage that this storm has caused tens of billions of dollars of damage. You may think it was over-hyped, but I can assure you that millions of other people don't think it was over-done. You and your weird buddy Venice (located well inland in NC) can act like children all you want, but the facts of the matter is that this hurricane did tremendous damage...and if the surge was just a few feet higher in areas of NYC (like the NY Stock Exchange, Battery Park City, NY, etc) the damage would have (not could have) done far more damage.

What you and other ignorant people can't seem to get through your head is that the experts make 'predictions' on the weather based on a vast amount of data - some of which is imperfect. These expert predictions are always fluid and ever-changing, changing even by the minute. Your failure to understand and accept this fact makes you look foolish when you say the expert's predictions were hyped. (I don't believe the NWS/NOAA hypes anything. They have no need to do so...no more so than the reconnaissance aircraft missions would provide false data to hype a storm.)

I'm glad your immediiate neighborhood didn't receive any damage...and I'm glad the storm was not as bad as you felt it may have been according to the predictions. However, I strongly suspect many people (located in every state that was affected by the hurricane) received winds, rain and damage that exceeded the forecasted predictions.

Tony, maybe if this was the view from your yard you'd feel differently about Irene being over-hyped.

Last edited by highcotton; 08-28-2011 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes