Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I think so
All sorts of toxic waste after a storm. Hope he had private insurance and doesn't blame it on Irene. I just got word from my kids in MD that they are OK. Trees down in the neighborhood but none on them. No power for ten hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
All sorts of toxic waste after a storm. Hope he had private insurance and doesn't blame it on Irene. I just got word from my kids in MD that they are OK. Trees down in the neighborhood but none on them. No power for ten hours.
Good news

Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Anyone have a Prozac to spare for Irene. She is depressed.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:26 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Anyone have a Prozac to spare for Irene. She is depressed.

the fat lady is finally singing

Old 08-29-2011, 01:19 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Check this guy out. He was swimming in the streets lol.

LIVE - Man Swimming In Howard Beach/Queens - Hurricane Irene - 8/28/11 - YouTube
I saw this on facebook. Some of my friends know that guy lol.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:24 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
NYC and Long Island aren't all there is to New York State.
Check what this itty bitty tropical storm has done north of you....you know...the bigger part of New York State.
Disastrous is an understatement for up here and adjoining Vermont.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:54 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Some of those people killed were outside during or just after the storm which is something people should not be doing.

Up here in Maine, the winds and rain started later in the day with the winds picking up in the night time hours.

The power went out around 8 or 9ish. I was texting my brother on the cell and because I'm in Maine, I don't get much coverage so this requires I stand next to the door to get a signal. When the power went out, I got my flashlight, turned it on, went over to the candles I had lined up, lit them, turned off the flashlight and resumed my texting.

Not 10 minutes after the power went out, while the winds were still blowing pretty good, I saw many of my neighbors get in to their cars and drive away.

That was not a smart thing to do. If there is a potential for trees or power poles to fall, stay in the fricken house! Light some candles, talk to each other, play a game, read your e-book reader if it has a book light, turn on your wind up radio...something but do NOT go out IN the storm!

This is how so many get killed.

The storm here was not that bad. It sounded more menacing than it actually was but, again, there was the potential for trees to fall and around here, there's tons of trees all over the place...why put yourself at risk to have a tree land on top of or in front of your car while you're driving or worse yet, a power pole just because you can't handle a few hours without electricity?

Ridiculous. I still believe the storm was over-hyped...in that I mean, highcotton, that it wasn't the catastrophic demolition of the entire eastern seaboard that some of those reporters will still trying to say it was going to be even as they stood outside clocking the highest wind speed at 25mph, but I also believe that people should listen when they are told to stay inside. Stop going out to the beach to "look at it", stop wandering around looking at damage when the storm is still going on or just after the storm has passed, use fricken common sense.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:59 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Check this guy out. He was swimming in the streets lol.

LIVE - Man Swimming In Howard Beach/Queens - Hurricane Irene - 8/28/11 - YouTube
That was a stupid thing to do.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
A man in our area died because a tree fell on his camper while he was sleeping. A girl died in another state when a tree fell on her home. A man was electrocuted by downed wires in NY. There are 23 people stranded in the Catskills because they left Brooklyn during the evacuation and now all bridges leading to the home are washed out. An elderly woman died in Connecticut when a tree fell on wires outside her home, sparking a fire. There are many other similar stories.

BTW, we all do "not smart" things. Doesn't make these people's deaths any less tragic for their families. Nor does it mean the deaths are not attributable to Hurricane Irene.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:27 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,008 times
For the ignorant people, please read and try to comprehend.

'Gold Medal Forecast' of Irene

Irene made landfall Saturday morning at Cape Lookout, N.C. — a bull's-eye in the field of weather forecasts. It hit where forecasters said it would and followed the track they had been warning about for days.

"People see that and assume we can predict everything," National Hurricane Center senior forecaster Richard Pasch said. But when Irene struck , the storm did not stick with the forecast's predicted major hurricane strength winds.

"It's frustrating when people take our forecasts verbatim and say, 'This is where it's going to be at this time and this is how strong it's going to be,'" Pasch said. "Because even though the track is good it's not certain."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes