Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
NYC may have thought Irene was nothing, but don't tell this man it was nothing!
lol that sucks... especially when all the other houses around you are unscathed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What is with people? They WERE told, "There is a STORM coming, power will be out, BUY food, and supplies to last at least a week, or more, we are having a MANDATORY evacuation"...Okay, there was PLENTY of warning about this storm! More than adaquate, some people even think it was over done...
That was only along the coast. I live 80 some miles inland. There were no evacuation orders here before the storm began. But there was plenty of rain, plenty of fast-rising flooding in places that don't usually flood in hard rains, plenty of rescues that had to be made to keep people from drowning in their own homes.

Where were people in Vermont -- if they were warned at all -- supposed to go? The entire state was affected.

Quote:
Just tired of people who are so stupid...
And I'm tired of people with no compassion or empathy.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That was only along the coast. I live 80 some miles inland. There were no evacuation orders here before the storm began. But there was plenty of rain, plenty of fast-rising flooding in places that don't usually flood in hard rains, plenty of rescues that had to be made to keep people from drowning in their own homes.

Where were people in Vermont -- if they were warned at all -- supposed to go? The entire state was affected.

And I'm tired of people with no compassion or empathy.
I can related but not to evacuating. I evacuated 300 miles for three hurricanes. 98% of my county did so for Rita and it was 7days before we were allowed in to return to make emergency repairs.Then had to leave for five more day .In Ike a nearby town of 35000 had only four homes not flooded to eight feet by storm surge that was 30 miles from the coast.90% of power lines including metal towers where knocked down by Rita. It took 10;000 lineman two weeks to clear lines and two months to get power back and longer in isolated areas. My home took two months to get the roof as a starter after temporary repairs altho I contacted the roofer when evaculated because neighbor sent e-mail of damage who worked during the storm as first responder.I was number 150 inline on their list. Its took 18 months to finally clear my insurance claim as finished. I spent over 3000 in meals and mtel roomsi in three on evacution in three years. Nothig was remebursed but i was happy seeing people who stayed. neighbor stayed for rita and spend 10 days in over 100 degree whether with no elctricity. Lived on MREs provided by the city. After 10 days he bought a generator from a firend who went to houston and a small 10V air conditioner.So I can relate and wish you luck;its a long road back.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:04 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
i don't like the looks of katina,, she's getting big and fat..ohhh zod!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Our power was out for for 54 hours (Sunday afternoon to last night). The rain had already passed, but that windstorm Sunday afternoon knocked it out. From what I saw Richmond was hit hard. Hope you get your power back soon!
Thank you and we did get power back last night. I could hear people cheering around the neighborhood, and then the annoying sound of generators finally stopped!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The same thing happened in Tropical Storm Fay, in Florida, in 2008. If these people paid attention, to the fact that hurricanes cause LOTS of rain...that is the main problem is flooding...did they miss all the water in affected areas after Hurricane Katrina?

And yes, don't build your house in a flood zone.
I thought the main issue from Katrina was storm surge

Vermont is rarely affected by large flooding. The last time it had flooding of this scale was 1927. Judging by the fact covered bridges more than a century old got swept away, this must be an extremely rare occurrence. It's likely that few people realized they were in a flood zone.

Vermont is extremely hilly. The only good land to build roads and towns is in river valleys. The best farmland is also concentrated along rivers.

Neither is the state a place the Tea Party is popular. But from what I gathered from news reports, few were whining that the government wasn't helping them fast enough. Neighbors helped each other as well as at the local community level.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
The winds weren't very strong when Irene hit where I was in Long Island. (Maybe 40 mph max?) But more trees fell because the soil was so muddy and saturated.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought the main issue from Katrina was storm surge

Vermont is rarely affected by large flooding. The last time it had flooding of this scale was 1927. Judging by the fact covered bridges more than a century old got swept away, this must be an extremely rare occurrence. It's likely that few people realized they were in a flood zone.

Vermont is extremely hilly. The only good land to build roads and towns is in river valleys. The best farmland is also concentrated along rivers.

Neither is the state a place the Tea Party is popular. But from what I gathered from news reports, few were whining that the government wasn't helping them fast enough. Neighbors helped each other as well as at the local community level.
One only has to look at tropical storm Alliosn to see hwat rain tropical systems can bring. I mean 20 inches in two day is alot of rain and total far above that in some areas. it was 40 years ago since people i some areas saw this much rain and of course areas have chnaged hugely since then. The 1938 storm if it hit today would be much mroe seriuos has has foten been ointed out because of devlopemnt.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:30 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,135 times
The beach down in Wildwood is still damaged. I was there today.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:52 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
One of the best videos. Clips of Bloomberg speaking in there.

100 Captured Moments of Hurricane Irene 2011 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes