Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
For me a battery powered fan would be a necessity without a generator. August power outages in FL heat....... I've been there and done that and it's not fun. Right now the next hurricane season is about 90 days away for the formal start but come August the hurricane season may be as hot as the weather so be ready. Pay heed and don't get caught being unprepared unless you live in a non hurricane state.
We wouldn't have turned the A/C on even with a generator. I was talking about NY heat not Florida heat. In my memory tropical storms are associated with very warm but not hot weather especially because they come during the tail end of summer.

Day of Hurricane: 78/73 (Humid but not sun, house would get a bit stuffy, but a big deal, we the A/C off until bedtime, but the power cut off in the middle of the night)

Next day: 76/63 (woke up to an interesting backyard)
Monday: 78/55 (parents thought it was a little chilly that morning for summer; might have closed a few windows partially)
Tuesday: 81/59 (perfect weather)
Wednesday: 83/60 (also great; but where the f#@% is the power; I don't want A/C; I want hot water! Also I can't post on CD)
Power returns that evening or next day.

I imagine these temps are unlikely after a Florida hurricane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 07:06 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
Thank you for your post. I do have most of the items but darn it I never thought about paper plates and other disposables. I dont' have a chain saw but then again I don't know how to use one. Does anyone have any ideas on where I might be able to learn how to use one. I also need some help in purchasing a generator that would keep my refriderator running - can someone explain how I determine the power needed. I know it has to do with the draw of engery of the motor but thats all I know. As usual, thank you.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Get a Honda Generator they are quiet, the sales person can help you with wattage. When you go to buy the generator remember you might want to run more things than just your frig. You might want to run a room a/c, tv, a light or two as well. A chain saw is a good thing to have, but use it before a store so you know how to use it if a storm does come. Yes disposable plates/silverware/cups/napkins are a must in your kit. Along with cash, sunscreen, food, water, mosquito spray, medicines, blue tarp, grill, aluminum foil (for cooking), etc...

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-07-2012 at 06:09 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
We are ready. Canned goods, crackers, keeping both cars tanked up.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Aluminum foil also can be placed behind light sources (candles, flashlight, lanterns, battery-operated) to enhance wattage. Make sure the shiny side is out, of course. Cast iron cookware can be used on a grill or over hot coals in a fireplace or campfire. If you are using a campfire or fireplace, don't attempt to cook more than marshmallows or hot dogs directly over the flame - you must wait until coals form, then rake them aside from the main fire and place your cast iron on them. Don't use plastic utensils if you're cooking this way - plastic flatware is still okay for actual eating, of course.

You can also heat water in an iron skillet and wash your face (pour the hot water into a bathroom sink; don't get soap in your skillet) or make coffee or tea or hot chocolate or oatmeal, etc.

Have adequate cash on hand - credit card readers are unlikely to work during extended power outages, and checks may not be accepted everywhere.

Many of these tips work equally well during blizzards, ice storms, or tornado aftermaths - anytime the power is out for an extended period of time.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:59 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
GoalZero now has a huge solar powered battery called a Yeti that can power a standard fridge for an hour on and off, or a bunch of other type of appliances for much longer. It's on my list to get next. In AZ if the power goes out in the summer for ANY reason, we are toast without fans and our swamp coolers. I wouldn't power an AC with it, but might turn the swamp cooler on for short periods. They also have a lot of other types of batteries that you can plug into the wall to keep charged, and then plug into a variety of portable solar panels if the power goes out. The inverters allow for a lot of applications. Picking up a small camp fridge is a good idea if you have anything that requires refrigeration like medications. The smaller panels will keep medical devices working like my friend's electrical parkinson's disease interceptor thingy.

Obviously, if you have storms for days, you may not be able to recharge a solar generator. But if the power stays off long after the storm passes, it would come in handy.

Another thing I got due to our occasional outages in the outskirts of Feenix is the radio shack emergency crank radio with weather channels. That also has a little USB connector so you can crank it up and get some power to recharge an emergency cell phone or GPS.

Also consider asking them at Radio Shack for various and sundry connectors that allow you to plug phones and other electronics into USB ports. And there's an "enercell" that you can keep charged up that will power your phone in an emergency.

I have been keeping a list of things I use all the time. When I go shopping I pick up an extra one. It's not a long list, just the basics. That gives me a little back up so I'm not stuck in line at a grocery store. I've been through two horrible hurricanes in Hawaii and I know that even the gentlest person can get really scary when survival instincts kick in. I was at a store after the hurricane and a woman started shopping OUT OF MY CART! She was taking the things *I* had already found and was going to buy. So don't expect people to be sane or very nice.

And yes - always fill your car when it reaches half full. You never know! And don't forget to keep propane tanks and small stove propane cannisters full!

Praying for y'all in the gulf!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Time to revive this thread, unfortunately. From a SE coastal resident-err on the side of caution in storm prepardness. Don't forget your PETS in emergency planning.

Good luck to all our CD friends in the path of Sandy

-gbh

Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
And remember to plan for your pets---
food, water, supplies!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
And remember to plan for your pets---
food, water, supplies!
I did that yesterday. Have plenty of cat food and bottled water on hand, as well as some food for me. I'm a couple of miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean, in NJ, outside the area that needs to be evacuated. Fortunately, I'm not near any rivers or other bodies of water, so flooding isn't as much of an issue, but we lose power easily in wind so I'm expecting that to happen.

I have one of those water-bottle dishes for the cats, so I've got that filled as well as the other big water dish.

Oh yeah, and wine and beer for me, catnip for them!

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-29-2012 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes