Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 AM

27 posts, read 37,681 times

Advertisements

Hurricane Irene Attacks! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 PM

776 posts, read 1,674,047 times
More and more this is getting quite dangerous. Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Newport and Cape Cod really need to be prepared for something most have never seen before.

List of New England hurricanes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only Hurricane Bob in 1991 comes close but this one is much bigger, could be more powerful and most likely far greater storm surge. Bob actually formed in the Bahamas while Irene will already be a monster by the time it gets there

Hurricane Bob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 08-24-2011 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
I hope this crap goes far east into the ocean.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Looks like it will hit Long Island as a Cat 2 sometime on Sunday:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...1109_5day.html

Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,927,256 times
This is EXACTLY what happened with Isabel before it hit our area.....they showed it hugging the coast and kept moving it west. Next thing we knew we had less than 24 hours to get read for a Cat 4 storm that was going to pass over us and we would be in the NE quadrant. Fortunately, by the time it approached DC as a Cat 2 and left as a weak Cat 1/TS. Even then, we took an 80 foot oak thru the roof.

Joy.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:58 AM

927 posts, read 1,948,613 times
This does not look good at all.........

...GLOBAL MODELS SHOW THE SHORTWAVE BYPASSING IRENE AND THE
HURRICANE BECOMING EMBEDDED WITHIN A BROAD AND SLOW-MOVING
MID-TROPOSPHERIC TROUGH OVER THE EASTERN UNITED STATES. THIS
STEERING PATTERN SHOULD PREVENT IRENE FROM MOVING WELL OFFSHORE OF THE NORTHEASTERN STATES. THE OFFICIAL TRACK FORECAST HAS BEEN SHIFTED VERY SLIGHTLY TO THE WEST [my emphasis] OF THE PREVIOUS ONE...

That little gem came from the NHC in its 5 AM EDT update. What it's saying is Irene will be caught in an atmospheric "rut" roughly following the U.S. eastern seaboard and will be dragged along with it clear up to Long Island where current projections have it running right on top of JFK international airport and Queens. Projected landfall will be around midnight Sunday/1 AM monday as a high end tropical storm. There may still be enough ooomph left to generate a few hurricane force gusts. Nothing anyone hasn't seen before.......

.....But the real t*rd in the punchbowl is the storm surge. Irene's effects are already being felt in the mid-Atlantic far away from the real action. Given a new moon with the timing of Irene's arrival on top of astronomical tides as high as any this month, coastal flooding is a virtual certainty.
Irene's a biggie and she will be pushing a tremendous amount of water ahead of her. With roughly 80 miles of Long Island blocking that water from going anywhere, it will pile up all along the south shore. On top of a +2 to +4 tide. If Irene continues as it is now expected, we could see a surge as much as 6 to 8 feet. I've been out on Fire Island, there ain't a whole lot of it higher than that.

A word to the wise......

Old 08-25-2011, 07:40 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times
I've been watching the reports...Acklins Island lost 90% of they're settlement in Lovely Bay. Much of Eleuthera has been forced to switch to generators, and they've shut down the power in most of the Bahamas? I don't know how true this is.

I live in SE PA and I'm very worried, we're supposed to get high winds and rain well over 6 inches now. If Irene maintains her present course? They said on the Weather Channel last night that NC's coast will be changed, and I can't imagine the Jersey Coast which is only 2 hours from us. I'm still hoping it veers out to sea? They said Millions will be out of power up and down the east coast? Major flooding, trees down and very high winds...starting in our area late Sat. Afternoon, but the worst will hit us all day Sunday.

So, we'll see, I heard they are evacuating Atlantic City? I don't know how true this is?

I'll admit, I'm scared! Might take a drive out to Weatern PA on Sat. Morning?

I cannot even imagine what the Jersey Shore is going to experience?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
More and more this is getting quite dangerous. Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Newport and Cape Cod really need to be prepared for something most have never seen before.

List of New England hurricanes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only Hurricane Bob in 1991 comes close but this one is much bigger, could be more powerful and most likely far greater storm surge. Bob actually formed in the Bahamas while Irene will already be a monster by the time it gets there

Hurricane Bob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The real big Hurricane in the North Atlantic states in August was Carol in 1954:

HURRICANE CAROL

Old 08-25-2011, 01:48 PM

776 posts, read 1,674,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
The real big Hurricane in the North Atlantic states in August was Carol in 1954:

HURRICANE CAROL
Topped even by the 1938 storm that changed Fire Island forever... I am amazed at how far west NHC has moved the projected path of the eye since yesterday. Even a 50 mile shift will be dramatic as to where and how much damage is done. Folks need to understand Ike as a CAT 2 destroyed parts of Galveston but it was the storm surge that was even more devestating than the wind.

Hurricane Ike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Katrina was weakend to a CAT 3 when it blew into the MS coast and the biggest damage there too was from storm surge near the coast. Andrew as a CAT 5 caused total destruction well over 5 miles inland from just the wind..

Also how hot the water temps well into the high 80's as far north as Virginia

Tropical Weather : Weather Underground

Old 08-26-2011, 06:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
I'm more worried about torrential rain than storm surge. Long Island has already gotten 7 inches of rain this month and lots like it will get another 6-8.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes