U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 01:39 PM

2,952 posts, read 12,488,962 times

Advertisements

I posted a similar thread months ago and we are just about to sign on the dotted line for new windows. Before doing so, have any of you replaced your windows with Simonton?

Please, if you have not replaced your windows with hurricane impact windows or have first hand knowledge about this process - please do not respond. I need hard facts. Thank you so much!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 01:57 PM

96 posts, read 318,291 times
I chose shutters over replacing the windows after I saw on the news where they shot a wooden beam right through supposed hurricane impact windows. That being said, make sure the product you buy is rated for the following standards:

SSTD 12, ASTM E 1886 and ASTME E 1996, which are testing standards for impact-resistant glass and shutters;

•OR you can choose products tested and approved to Miami-Dade Protocols TAS 201, TAS 202, and TAS 203, which are the most stringent testing standards in the nation for impact-resistant glass and shutters.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:22 PM

2,952 posts, read 12,488,962 times
Thank you ivcceo! I wish we had done this before the hurricanes as I would have saved over $10,000 - now it's $40,000 for our home. We may wind up with shutters.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 25,724 times
Default Hurricane Impact Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I posted a similar thread months ago and we are just about to sign on the dotted line for new windows. Before doing so, have any of you replaced your windows with Simonton?

Please, if you have not replaced your windows with hurricane impact windows or have first hand knowledge about this process - please do not respond. I need hard facts. Thank you so much!!
This is I am sure late. But here goes. Impact windows and shutters are now approaching parity in pricing (relative to quality). Shutters require a great deal of compromise architecturally and you will have ugly appendages on the exterior that will detract from the beauty of your home and will require maintenance.

If you deal with a competent, reliable firm that has been in business you will not be cheated with windows that will not pass the test you mentioned.

The TAS 201,202,203 standards are the most stringent fenestration standards in the World. The system in Dade County and the state of Florida that has the test performed and verified by, certified, independent labs give you the clearest picture of the cpapbilities of the window.

Additionally, if you have impact windows in the house, you will now receive a reduction in your insurance (based on an inspection) whereas some companies are still reluctant to offer the same for a shutter because if you are gone and no one closes the shutter, the house remains unprotected.

If you have only a few hours of notice and are out of town, your home will be unprotected. If you install impact rated windows, you do not have that worry.

If you have a home with a second story, you are taking a real risk when you get up on a ladder to install the shutters. What if you were blown off the ladder and were injured and could not work what would that cost you?

Also, during a storm, your electricity will go out fro some extended period of time, with impact windows, your home will have the benefit of light during the day giving you more security.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:35 PM

177 posts, read 217,858 times
Default Question

How much money are these windows.I have a 2300 sq ft home

Old 01-02-2008, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 25,724 times
Which windows. To get any kind of price, you need the type and sizes and quantities of the windows and doors. Send me a message and maybe I can help.

Last edited by rancov; 01-02-2008 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Added message

Old 04-08-2008, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 12,547 times
Default about Simonton Windows

If you Google Simonton Windows you'll find they are rated very high as far window manufacturers go. They are also Miami/Dade approved which is the most important part of any hurricane resistant products homeowners should rely upon.

I personally removed the Lawson aluminum single pane winodws for vinyl Simonton's and my home is now totally silent from outside noise. I have also noticed a significant saving in my electric bill.

Just as a side note. When a broken glass (not from objects) or seal failure occurs, try to find the manufacturer of the window or place purchased. Pella, Andersen, Simonton, etc.. have service people which will make warranty repairs free of charge, in most cases. Pella, charges per hour after the first year, even if the product is still under warranty.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:48 AM

22 posts, read 65,102 times
check out this report on the success and failure of different window treatments in hurricanes in florida in 2004 and 2005

Cote & D'Ambrosio - Hurricane Preparation

Old 08-07-2008, 02:32 PM

392 posts, read 1,148,079 times
The good of impact windows are:
Always there ready to protect you from storms or someone trying to break-in.
Lets the light in.
You don't have to do any work to protect your windows prior to a storm.

The only downfall is if a window breaks during a storm that you have to replace the window after.

People I know have replaced their shutters with storm windows and said they should have done it a long time ago.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:08 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,728,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post

Replaced with Simoton (purchased from Home depot). Less noise and cooler temperature inside. The UV has a natural tint that keeps from looking inside from the street. Lifetime warranty, backed by Home Depot, just got to call and at no cost the problem will taking care. Help reduce with HOI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or