U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 11:28 AM

7 posts, read 17,759 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to PVB. We have never lived on the beach and are a little concerned about hurricanes.
I've read alot of the posts about the desirability of PVB but have not heard much about the hurricane risk. Is this because the risk is much less than other parts of coastal Florida? Any longtime residents have any information about past hurricane strikes and evacuations from this area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 01:34 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 821,424 times
Hurricane Dora, 1961.
The first coast is one of the least susceptible areas in FL to Hurricanes. It has been hypothesized that the low impact ratio for Northeast FL is a three way confluence of factors- the location of NEFL in relation to the shape of the peninsula, the direction and location of the gulf stream (which tends to have a strong influence on the path of Atlantic storms) and the areas in the far Atlantic where most hurricanes typically form.

This isn't to say that one isn't going to eventually hit there again, but pound for pound, NEFL is much, much better off than the rest of the state. Of course, when it does finally get dunked again, no one is going to take much solace in the theoretical safety from Hurricanes the area offers over the long term, but so far, it as served its residents well.

(furiously knocking on wood)

Old 09-23-2007, 02:39 PM

Default re: Pontre Vedra Beach and Hurricanes

Thank you for your information its most appreciated. The odds sound pretty good compared to the risk.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM
LM1

Oops. I just realized I said 1961. That should've been 1964.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:53 PM

Thanks again for the information. I checked on Dora and it proves no place in FL is immune from hurricanes, but overall the odds are better than se, sw, and the panhandle coasts.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:23 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,800,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flbnd View Post
We are considering a move to PVB. We have never lived on the beach and are a little concerned about hurricanes.
I've read alot of the posts about the desirability of PVB but have not heard much about the hurricane risk. Is this because the risk is much less than other parts of coastal Florida? Any longtime residents have any information about past hurricane strikes and evacuations from this area?
If you can afford to build or buy on PVB, you can afford the insurance.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 PM

9 posts, read 56,500 times
Probably one of the most beautiful, serene places I have been in the US. Property is more expensive than other areas of FL but well worth it. You get all the benefits of FL plus cooler weather than the midstate and south regions, virtually no chance of hurricanes, and proximity to major city (Jax). There is a lot to do and love here and you wont be disappointed. Oh, and contrary to what some think and portray, St Johns (the county) schools are near the top in FL and in the nation. I would be here if I could...As of now we have a second home a couple counties south and I wish we could afford PVB because I would be there in an instant

Old 10-31-2007, 06:49 AM

604 posts, read 4,390,120 times
We live out by WGV and still got the hurricane shutters (we are from S.FL) just to have peace of mind as we had a few down there that weren't pleasant. No one here in my area is concerned (no shutters, generator, supplies, etc).

Does anyone else in NE FL have shutters?

Old 11-04-2007, 01:02 AM
LM1

My place in FL is too close to the ocean for shutters to be any good.
I recall watching a news broadcast in MS right before Katrina came ashore. It showed a man in an oceanfront house taping his windows... All I could do was laugh.
If there's ever a point where I might "need" hurricane shutters, my location ensures that they'll pretty much be pointless. The only thing I kinda do like about them is that they provide a minimal extra layer of security against "evacuation burglary" (which was a real problem in St. Johns county during the monumental Floyd evacuation), but not too much.

If I lived in a more inland place where wind is the primary concern rather than billions of tons of rushing seawater, I'd definitely have them then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or