U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 AM

57,267 posts, read 45,352,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
I don't for one second absolve our politicians in this. I think everyone who is affected by homeowners insurance in Florida agrees on that.
Bull. First you yelled about greedy gouging weasles then you "applauded" the work of the insurance commissioner in protecting you from the evil gougers.

This isn't absoultion of the politicians, you are hailing them as your saviors!

The very people that caused this problem have convinced you that they are the ones saving you.....you don't seem to follow that they set the rates....they always have and always will. And you also seem to live in a world where the greedy gougers...that write dozens of types of insurance in all 50 states....just are out to gouge FL homeowners for some reason they seem to be highly competitive most everywhere else.

Realistically you haven't thought this out and have some sort of bias or hatred that has blinded you. You should sit down and think about this if you really care about the topic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 PM

48,508 posts, read 87,695,401 times
In most hurricane areas no insurance company really wants to insure against windstorm. Especially since Gore declared global warming and worse storms.During rita anything within the eye wall and within five miles of the coast got six to eight foot of storm surge and the boats;cars and other objects did the worse damage as they floated and acted as battering rams.Humberto last year hit the same area but only 85 MPH sustained winds and did little damage.There are huge differences in being just outside the eye wall and in it in a cat 3 or more storm.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:10 AM

222 posts, read 464,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
In most hurricane areas no insurance company really wants to insure against windstorm. Especially since Gore declared global warming and worse storms.During rita anything within the eye wall and within five miles of the coast got six to eight foot of storm surge and the boats;cars and other objects did the worse damage as they floated and acted as battering rams.Humberto last year hit the same area but only 85 MPH sustained winds and did little damage.There are huge differences in being just outside the eye wall and in it in a cat 3 or more storm.
I'm no rocket scientist but, Couldn't we build desalination plants all around the coasts, sell the water and the sea salt to cover the cost of building them, And at the same time keep the ocean from rising??? Some one out there should know if this is possible, and or get a government grant to see if it is.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:50 PM

93 posts, read 363,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENO-777 View Post
I'm no rocket scientist but, Couldn't we build desalination plants all around the coasts, sell the water and the sea salt to cover the cost of building them, And at the same time keep the ocean from rising??? Some one out there should know if this is possible, and or get a government grant to see if it is.
Hi,

I kind of like this idea myself. My husband is a retired Water Treatment supervisor. He says they are real expensive to build and operate. But I buy sea salt from Israel, for
psoriasis, which is also expensive.

Who knows?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,684,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward48 View Post
Hi,

I kind of like this idea myself. My husband is a retired Water Treatment supervisor. He says they are real expensive to build and operate. But I buy sea salt from Israel, for
psoriasis, which is also expensive.

Who knows?

the one we have here in the Bay area cost a bundle, and it is just now getting operational, 3 yrs after it was finished (might not be 3, but it was years!)

they are $$$, but in the future, we will have to have them.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:22 PM

40 posts, read 277,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
my mom applied early in the process and has just been approved for funding. have you received the free inspection yet? you have to pick from a list of contractors, but there is a fairly substantial discount on the insurance rates.
I know that the state did suspend the inspections due to a disagreement with the amount being charged by the company who was running the program. I'm not sure if the program is running again or not. Having an inspection done by the state will qualify you for grant money to make improvements to your house to help in getting a reduction in your insurance premiums, but you might have some issues with the insurance companies.

I had an extra inspection done for $150 where they came out and took pictures of how the roof was attached, nailing patterns, etc, and they filled out paperwork provided by the insurance company to make sure it would be accepted. Worked out well for us.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:37 AM

12 posts, read 45,582 times
Thank you for the information. I am not clear on if this is still available. My son wants to buy a home in Florida so this is important to him/us. Would our insurance company give us this service?

Old 04-13-2008, 03:36 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,239,960 times
Default AZ to SWFL, bought on waterfront got insurance

We just moved here, found the house we wanted, on the water with direct Gulf access for our soon to be bought boat. We shopped for insurance companies on the State's web site. I called each of the top 10 companies listed in the State sampling of quotes. We quickly discovered we WOULD be able to afford insurance. In Phoenix, we paid $500 annually for a 350k house.

In Port Charlotte, we bought a waterfront house, with a beautiful private dock and boatlift right behind our backyard. It is block construction with a hip roof replaced in 2004. The home sold in 2003 for 190k. They were asking 225k. We paid 199k. The house is on the Auburn waterway but was removed from floodzone status in the last EPA survey in 2002. We got an annual homeowners policy for $1300. The "named storm deductible" is 2% of the stated value. All other peril deductible is $1000 per incident. The biggest difference that made us go with this particular company was that they were one of few who would include our dock and lift as "other structures" and insurance them against property damage.

We are now searching for the boat and in case you didn't notice WE LOVE IT HERE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes