Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 08:23 AM

275 posts, read 1,283,322 times

Advertisements

As Sandy is coming closer and closer to my location in Baltimore, I wonder if it is safe for me to walk to school on Monday and Tuesday.

I need some common sense of what speed of hurricane can pose what kinds of danger. I googled it, but didn't find any such information.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 08:33 AM

559 posts, read 748,143 times
Well first of all if a hurricane's coming your way your school shouldn't even be open... but if it is then you should probably not go just to be safe. It's definitely gonna be too dangerous out to go outside with 50 mph winds and torrential rainfall.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
This video shows a good idea of what 75+ mph winds are in a CAT 1.

TWC Hurricane Katrina (Florida) coverage: Clip 5 - YouTube

Keep in mind that the winds get faster when you're in between buildings.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:48 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee
As Sandy is coming closer and closer to my location in Baltimore, I wonder if it is safe for me to walk to school on Monday and Tuesday.
I wouldnt wanna try it bud... With high winds anything could be thrown in your path!!!!! -- Tree limbs,loose items,etc.........

Old 10-28-2012, 07:06 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
People are alwasy getting killed by falling trees. Either on their houses( more rarely) or as they walk by them or as they drive in cars. Its probably best to stay home. Most schools are closed tomorrow anyway, at least in NJ and eatern Pa.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post

I need some common sense of what speed of hurricane can pose what kinds of danger. I googled it, but didn't find any such information.

Thanks!
Pretty much all schools in Maryland are closed, not sure why you'd be going to school. 50-60 mph can be difficult to walk in, and 80 mph gusts can knock you off your feet.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:02 AM

275 posts, read 1,283,322 times
Hurray! no school!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Pretty much all schools in Maryland are closed, not sure why you'd be going to school. 50-60 mph can be difficult to walk in, and 80 mph gusts can knock you off your feet.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:45 PM

141 posts, read 288,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post

Thanks!
The wind is the least of your worries - it's the things carried by the high winds that do the damage. A single roof shingle traveling at 40 mph can do a lot of damage to your skin.

Besides all of the wind blown debris, there's always the danger of downed "hot" power lines that can electrocute a person with no warning. High voltage and rain-soaked ground make for a deadly combination. Be careful.

Last edited by Oildog; 10-30-2012 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missguided1 View Post
The wind is the least of your worries - it's the things carried by the high winds that do the damage. A single roof shingle traveling at 40 mph can do a lot of damage to your skin.

Besides all of the wind blown debris, there's always the danger of downed "hot" power lines that can electrocute a person with no warning. High voltage and rain-soaked ground make for a deadly combination. Be careful.

Bingo, the wind is problematic but its all the sand and debris that gets caught up in it is the problem. Let alone said power lines and stuff.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
it depdns o the wind spped . I can tell you from experince that a 90MPH sustained hurricane is nothig comapred to a 130 sustain winds speed. Alos with surge the wind spedd can cause cars ;trees etc floating in surge waters to be like battering rams. Wind blown surge can really do alot of destruction compared to just rising surge in milder winds.In Rita it blew barge and boats over 100 feet 20 miles inland during Rita and i ike it destroyed evry roadway in coastal areas here and wiped out the beach front property .Not even grass was left and mostly just piling marking where a house was 13 feet above the ground.Channels eight foot deep where water ran like creeks when going out as water receded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes