Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times

Advertisements

Many people have multiple pets that make it difficult to just up and leave. Lots of motels and shelters won't allow them and they wouldn't dream of abandoning their animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Did the city officials have buses available for people without transportation to leave? That was the main problem in New Orleans, no one had access to transportation to leave.
Public transit was running until 7 pm Sunday. Those in flood prone area could have evacuated Sunday to a shelter in the city in not-so flood prone areas.

Back to the OP... why few evacuated? The NYC metro gets hurricane "scares" regularly. Most of the time by the time the storm reaches it's quite weak even if it was dangerous just a bit ago. Irene was hyped up as nasty, but did little damage for most. And that was the worst in a few decades. People probably assumed they were getting a repeat of Irene.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Many people have multiple pets that make it difficult to just up and leave. Lots of motels and shelters won't allow them and they wouldn't dream of abandoning their animals.
Many hotels and motels take pets. Super 8 and Motel 6 are about everywhere.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Many hotels and motels take pets. Super 8 and Motel 6 are about everywhere.
Have you ever been to Staten Island or Long Island?

As another posted stated, many folks in those devastated areas don't own vehicles, so packing up and leaving if you're elderly, ill or have little ones isn't so easy.

Plus evacuations routes are a joke. Every try getting around on these islands on a regular day?

Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Evacuations are ordered right now in NJ for this next storm. Would you evacuate?(speaking in general).. Its not an easy thing to do, especially when your up against a future projection and the unknown of weather. Its not easy to do like driving to get coffee. Also think about the fact you might not have a home when you come back because its at the bottom of the Atlantic. So what do you pack? There's a whole thought process involved.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I asked an elderly friend of mine this very issue, he is stubborn and independent. He told me he would never leave his home. What can you do? Just tell them to write their name in permanent marker on their leg, with next of kin phone number.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:38 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Something people forget is the fact that those who evacuate wont be let back in from authorities. Imagine that. You cant even go see if your home is still there because they are preventing you from going past them. People are using Google Earth to see if their homes are still their. (TWC mentioned this).. and this is another reason why some dont evacuate. They know that they won't be easy to "try" to get back home to just see if there's even any damage.

I think thats one aspect the public doesnt realize whats happening in places like NJ. People dont even know if their home exists because they cant get past a certain area.
The reason they can't get back is BECAUSE IT'S NOT SAFE.

I'm sure they want to know, but better safe than sorry. After all, it's just "stuff" and that's not very important when you're talking about someone's life.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
After all, it's just "stuff" and that's not very important when you're talking about someone's life.
I used to think the same, but lately I've had a chance to talk to some elderly people and I don't think all of them view it the same way. For the ones who have lost their spouses, their children, sometimes they feel like all that is left of their families is the mementos and memories that their homes hold. The thought of having to leave those things and start all over from scratch at their advanced age is more than they can bear. I think they fear that more than they fear the thought of dying in their own homes, surrounded by familiar and comfortable things.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
One thing I have noticed about the elderly, is an inability to make decisions regarding change. There seems to be a cognitive change in some folks...that creates an inertia when it comes to making decisions about some things....they don't realize that not leaving...is a decision...an unhealthy one.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 4,863 times
Be nice to those who defy the evacuation orders. Afterall, they only had 5-7 days to make arrangements knowing it was coming. Canbium said they are concerned about damage, they won't be allowed back in in to see if there is damage. WHO CARES? Your alive and unlike the dolts that stayed and put rescue workers in harm because of their selfishness. "Yea, I'm gonna stay and remove a tree from the roof of my house during high winds, rain and lightning." REALLY??

Here's how to have zero death's when the next storm hits that region. "LEAVE" when they tell you to.
I just solved the issue. You can thank me starting, Now.

Yes, it is that easy. Enough with the "I don't have a car and I've never been further than 20 miles from NYC." It's a big safe, wonderful country to the west.

Now this is where they complain that they don't have water, food and no electricity. Stay away until they give the all clear. There is nothing to see. Nothing is worth sacrificing your life that's in your house. Just keep up on insurance and if it's to expensive, move where it isn't.

I love America and the strength and caring. It starts with being responsible and there is a time when
the government authorities speak and you listen.

Here is a another news flash. A hurricane will hit coastal areas in the United states and it will be bad. It might happen this year, maybe next but it will hit. Make preparations.

Later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes