U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:47 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,585,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The 2006 forecast calls for:

17 named tropical storms; an average season has 9.6.
9 hurricanes compared to the average of 5.9.
5 major hurricanes with winds exceeding 110 mph; average is 2.3.
Though these statistical predictions cannot portend when any of the storms will form or where they will go, Klotzbach, Gray and colleagues calculate an 81 percent chance that at least one major hurricane will hit the U.S. coast in 2006.
__________________________________________________ _
The "chicken little's" lost this one, big time! In reality, we only had 9 named storms. Four tropical storns, three cat 1's and two cat 3's that didn't threaten the US. How more wrong could these "weather scientists" have been.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 01:52 PM

68 posts, read 211,439 times
El nino changed the cycle this year. but it will make a bad fire year.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:18 PM

177 posts, read 641,814 times
I think that it is just that long range weather forecasting is not really a science but just an educated guess. Unfortunately, Mother Nature does not read these long range forecasts.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:42 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,728,253 times
We must be thankful that this was a slow hurricane season. Predicting the weather is not a precise science. Lots of variables that no human person controls. But I will take many predictions like this year as long as we don't get hit.

Hopefully this drives the home owners insurance to lower levels...

Old 11-02-2006, 03:24 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,481,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
We must be thankful that this was a slow hurricane season. Predicting the weather is not a precise science. Lots of variables that no human person controls. But I will take many predictions like this year as long as we don't get hit.

It was nice not having a hurricane this year. we had just one tropical storm and that was OK with me. Predictions where wrong last year also. but I will take the low numbers of this year over the high numbers of last year. Now we come into fire season and its very dry. all we can do is hope for the best.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:42 PM

251 posts, read 825,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post

Don't expect any lower rates in Florida....According to Sam Miller who represents 138 insurance companies in Florida. He stated on TV that the insurance rates in Florida were too low and needed to have more significant increases.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,906,080 times
Well, all we can do is hope that Sam Miller's prediction is as far off as the meteorologist's predictions were. It was a blessing that it wasn't a bad year for storms. I think you got slammed down there enough the last two years. There is the prediction that there will be 15-20 years of fierce storms. This is only year three of it, but let's hope they're wrong.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:06 PM

192 posts, read 1,095,154 times
I read on the Hillsborough County Emergency preparedness site that the chances of any storm with winds in excess of 75mph hitting any part of Hillsborough County are: .09 percent - that's right, less than 1 percent!!

Still, our insurance premiums are going through the roof, if you're lucky enough to afford your house and have a roof over your head.......

Old 11-02-2006, 05:28 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,745,707 times
Thumbs down Hurricanes

That's all they are, just predictions. That year, 2005, can be used for statictics. It was an anomaly.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:35 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,481,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynorie View Post
I read on the Hillsborough County Emergency preparedness site that the chances of any storm with winds in excess of 75mph hitting any part of Hillsborough County are: .09 percent - that's right, less than 1 percent!!

Still, our insurance premiums are going through the roof, if you're lucky enough to afford your house and have a roof over your head.......
In 2004 Charley was going to Tampa but just like everyone else it came to south Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or