U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 07:10 AM
SFX

857 posts, read 403,500 times

Advertisements

Right after he says "trees defoliated by the winds, every piece of property looks like this", there is a shot of two shrubs with all their leaves still on.

You can see them here

Also, I see plenty of structures still standing, as well as power lines still up.

It can't be the worst hurricane ever, not even close. I remember several that hit the US that were far worse than that damage.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 07:44 AM

4,535 posts, read 2,268,677 times
It was the strongest recorded while out to sea (other storms are believed to have been stronger but no official measuring devices have stood up in their power or were not able to be measured (ie: many western Pacific Typhoons)), not at landfall. And many homes and businesses there have cement walls unlike the US which is mostly wood construction. Wood built won't stand up to those winds but cement easily will.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:07 AM
SFX

857 posts, read 403,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Wood built won't stand up to those winds but cement easily will.
The Merry Mansion was stone and marble, and stood up to a 1947 hurricane.

Camille blew it to pieces.

I understand some people want to say this hurricane was the "worst ever" or something, but the facts are, it wasn't anywhere close.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:57 AM

4,535 posts, read 2,268,677 times
I agree, this storm was not the worst to hit land in terms of strength. I think the headlines stem from the recorded 200mph while out at sea before it weakened just prior to landfall. If I'm not mistaken I think it is believed to be the strongest recorded (in terms of wind speed only) to hit the West coast (east coast has had stronger) of Mexico (assuming the at the time estimated 165mph until data is re-reviewed during the off season this winter). Even that was pushing it...it was the strongest RECORDED HURRICANE (in terms of wind speed only) while out at sea momentarily in the western hemisphere, but if you look at the rest of the world and also if you were to compare Patricia's satellite images to other strong storms then we know it was NOT the strongest ever even while out at sea. But it's the strongest one we actually got a recorded wind/pressure reading from while out at sea in the western hemisphere. There's been stronger but we haven't recorded it officially yet, but definitely not the strongest when it made landfall. Typhoon Haiyan is great example in satellite presentation that shows it was definitely stronger but no one flew a reconnaissance plane into it to measure its winds so 'officially' that one was 195mph in the western Pacific but many believe it was stronger then that. But the strongest RECORDED of all time (in terms of wind speed only) is 215mph by Typhoon Nancy in 1961 (some questions these days in readings reliability with technology changes but either way it was definitely up there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or