U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:26 AM

20 posts, read 59,338 times

Advertisements

Hey I was just wondering if anyone had experiences living in apartments or living in a rental house during a hurricane, the landlord responisble for repairs, how exactly does that situation differ from owning a home where you're responsible for any damages? are the integrity of the apartments usually worse to where you have to evacuate, etc? any info would be helpful
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 05:00 PM

25 posts, read 181,993 times
We would like info on this as well...

Old 02-14-2008, 05:02 PM

29 posts, read 94,111 times
As would we...

Old 02-15-2008, 12:04 PM

3,927 posts, read 10,634,797 times
Repairs, replacements, routine maintenance, etc. should be well defined in your lease contract and not specific to hurricanes.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:33 AM

12,869 posts, read 13,604,730 times
your personal property would not be covered unless you have renter's insurance. on single family homes, the homeowner's insurance covers repairs to the property. fema and other organizations help with relocation and relocation expenses after hurricanes. there may be specific items not covered on specific policies, but that is generally how it goes and it is not different than owning, except for personal property.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:50 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,402,800 times
Evacuation is something that you have to decide. I can tell you that I would not evacuate for a cat 1 or 2 from my house. I'd be concerned about a cat 3. Cat 4, and I'm gone. Cat 5, not much will be left standing.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:52 AM

849 posts, read 3,278,599 times
Default Landlords

will not board up during a hurricane. We were in Mobile AL for Katrina and we opted to put some plywood up on our east facing window. if we hadn't we'd have had broken glass to deal with. I don't agree with the folks here who say they'd stick it out in a cat. 1 or 2. Everyone fears the wind but remember it was the surge of WATER that killed all those poor folks along the Gulf Coast in '05. We are just outside any evac zone in St. Pete but yet we can't get renters ins. except from Citizens which is the insurer of last resort. what does that tell you? According to Emergency Mgmt. we should be safe in any category storm but obviously the insurers disagree.
A landlord will repair his building after the storm but what about you, your family, your pets and your stuff? Also you need to know if the apartment is unlivable, will the landlord reimburse for a place until its fixed. I'd say board up for any level storm at your expense. It only costs a few dollars to fix a few holes in the wall from the screws or nails. It can save your stuff.
I'd still leave. You can drown in 6" of water and there are downed power lines and gas lines that can pose serious threats.
Why would you think the integrity of apartments is worse in the evac. areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprincesssparkle View Post
Hey I was just wondering if anyone had experiences living in apartments or living in a rental house during a hurricane, the landlord responisble for repairs, how exactly does that situation differ from owning a home where you're responsible for any damages? are the integrity of the apartments usually worse to where you have to evacuate, etc? any info would be helpful

Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 PM

2,940 posts, read 9,177,512 times
Basicaly if you rent you are screwed. Most landlords will prohibit you putting shutters up since they don't want people drilling holes in walls...and due to heights, it may be impossible. Most residents in apartments end up taping windows as a last resort (futile, but better than nothing I suppose). Damage to the structure would be the landlord's responsibilty, and my experience is that they keep charging you rent on your lease even if your apartment is uninhabitable after a storm or you get evicted. NICE! It is a business, and this is an act of God, and the cards are defianntly in the landlord's favor. The law may be on your side, but when you have no way of government helping you at a time of need...and the systems are all overwhelmed, you are on your own. Hope for the best and have a place you can stay if the worst happens.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:21 PM

4,805 posts, read 12,873,802 times
We dealt with the 2004 & 2005 storms on Anna Maria from our little duplex that we rented a block from the beach & we did board up, the whole island did...we did have to evacuate for the one that hit south of us...every renter I knew in a house put boards up....at the very least, you're protecting the landlord's property...but hey, boards on the windows are only as good as the roofing material; it's a catch 22 and sometimes you're just making a big fish bowl...

Living in Florida, I would never even expect my landlord to cover my losses; we both know what we're up against. I'll have to redo my hurricane box again, very shortly in respect to the new season quicly approaching.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:45 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,723,655 times
the landlord is responsible for repairs: he own the place and will be responsible for repairs normally cover under his insurance policy

how exactly does that situation differ from owning a home where you're responsible for any damages? Damages done during natural disasters will be cover under the owner policy. This will not be your responsibility unless you agree to certain stipulation in your lease. As a renter you need to purchase renters insurance to cover your items inside the rental unit (inexpensive).

are the integrity of the apartments usually worse to where you have to evacuate, etc? Depends on a number of factor age of the facility, location, flooding zone, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes