Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,138,639 times

Advertisements

Other than those who live in Hawaii, is there anyone else that lived through Hurricane Eva in 1982?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
I heard WALL-E came and saved the day.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I heard WALL-E came and saved the day.
Oh, now thats just ornery , but funny. Loved that movie, real cute.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 21,061 times
Hurricane Eva-I lived in Waikiki at that time. The Hurricane came thru the Hilton and the missed the next block(where I lived) but then, Eva hit the following block ..at the Ala Moana Shopping Center. After it was over, and you weren't really sure that it was, I walked around the area..it was so surreal...sea foam to my knees..fish pushed up thru the tiny holes in drain cover lids..Were you there?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 10,379 times
Default Hurricane Eva - 1982

I was in Hawaii when Hurricane Eva came through. I was in the Air Force and was made to walk home right when the hurricane hit that November. I watched trees bend then broke. I saw larger trees be pulled up by the roots. As I walked onto Wheeler AFB I watch all the old lamp glass shades blow with the pressure of the hurricane as Eva came on shore. So many homes were damage that all inhabitants shared Thanksgiving at the Wheeler AFB dining hall. I will never forget that hurricane and its effect on me that faithful week.

Michael Norman

Old 11-09-2009, 05:23 AM

164 posts, read 490,404 times
I was there when Eva came through..I was stationed (Jun 82 - Jun 85)at the 25th ID on Schofield...I remember the large swimming pool filled with debris, our Thanksgiving turkey spoiled, no electricity, and my little girl wanting to know if the hurricane was named after her (her name is Eva). I also remember my entire family huddled in that closet, the howling winds, and the patio glass door being bowed by the force of the wind.

Thankfully, we had no casualties except the next day, we had a soldier killed during the cleanup when a log hit him. The community really came together.

walkin2e

Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 21,061 times
Default Hurricane Eva

Thanx for describing more of the event we shared in living thru. The howl and the whistling never seemed to end all the hours leading up to it. The silence afterwards...the foam I waded thru to view the damage at the Hilton. I'll have to dig out old pics, scan and post them. maybe others can do the same.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny109 View Post
Thanks for describing more of the event we shared in living thru. The howl and the whistling never seemed to end all the hours leading up to it. The silence afterwards...the foam I waded thru to view the damage at the Hilton. I'll have to dig out old pics, scan and post them. maybe others can do the same.
I wish you would post some pics.

I was to busy to take pictures, the Army had us working our butts off trying to clean up Schofield and the surrounding town, we had no time to rest or think. You should have heard the wind and rain while inside those old barrack . But I figured that they stood up against the Japanese attacks on Dec 7th 1941, they'd stand up against Eva.

The one picture I was I would have gotten was the one where a SSgt in the quad next to ours decided that his convertible would be better off packed out on the road way. He didn't account for the huge palm tree he parked in front of. WHAAAAM!!!! Strait down the middle back to front that palm landed and crushed the car. Oh Well, no one liked him anyway.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 9,686 times
Default Eva 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Other than those who live in Hawaii, is there anyone else that lived through Hurricane Eva in 1982?
I was living in Waikiki at the time, 1st and only hurricane I have ever been through...I am from Pennsylvania and had just moved there, my husband is an electrician,he had to go to Kauai, they had no power, nothing for weeks, alot of Aloha in Hawaii, everyone helped out

Old 02-27-2010, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 9,503 times
I was on a two week vacation for my first time in Hawaii. When we landed we had overcast sky's and drizzle. It wasn't until we landed that we were told about the whether. We stayed at a highrise hotel a couple blocks from Wiakii beach. We had planned a three Island boat tour (couple days here and there), but it was canceled. We were stuck. Rented a 4 wheel drive and drove around the Island for days. Sunset Beach was incredible, and probabaly the highlight of the trip. Watching the park police running up and down the beach trying to get the surfers out of the water. The waves were so high. At the time it didn't seem crazy, as I had never seen the ocean before. Now, I realize. We were smart enough to take the rig back before she hit. The aftermath was something to see for a boy from Minnesota. The main hotel basement garages were flooded with cars upside down and strewn everywhere. The beach sand had completely covered the road, which made it impassable. The electricity was out for awhile, and when it came back on it was on in blocks of areas. Can't remember, but we would get electricity for 1/2 hour blocks and then it would go off and you could see at night who had electricity, as chunks of the city would lite up here and there. We were on the 17th floor and had to time when we left and returned. Thanksgiving was interesting to say the least, but everybody was in good spirits.

Then two days later the sun was shining and it was absolutely gorgeous...while we were boarding our plane to go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes