Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 AM

460 posts, read 2,343,936 times

Advertisements

Hello! If you decide to stay put in your house during a hurricane, how long do most hurricanes take to go through your area? Or do they just stay put for a long time? How many days? (I am used to tornadoes, lol)
For those of you that have stayed in your homes, please tell me how long the cane lasted for, what did you do the whole time, etc

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 07:59 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
it depends, usually 30 mins to an h our then the eye passes then u get the backside of the storm for another hour maybe....u just board up and chill in your house, watch tv until u lose power, then just sleep...if the storm is a cat 4 or 5 and your house is in an evacuation area and u stay then u might die....as your house will be ripped to shreads

Old 05-23-2007, 08:02 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,920 times
Depending on the size and category of the hurricane, the outer bands can affect an area for days. www.noaa.gov is an excellent site for hurricane info.

In 2005, the longest we were without power was about a week and we were lucky. Some were out for weeks!

We played cards, read, cleaned up debris and got really sick of hearing "Hunker Down!"

Old 05-23-2007, 08:10 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
Hello! If you decide to stay put in your house during a hurricane, how long do most hurricanes take to go through your area? Or do they just stay put for a long time? How many days? (I am used to tornadoes, lol)
For those of you that have stayed in your homes, please tell me how long the cane lasted for, what did you do the whole time, etc

Jen
I have always stayed and living in Fort Lauderdale since 1950 have only had really a couple of bad hurricanes Wilma year before last being the worst. How long depends what part of the storm passes where you are, but it can blow for as long as 10 hours depending on the speed the storm is moving. That is where a lot of the damage comes from, the length of time the storm blows. The relentless wind will take a toll on something that is weak. Hurricanes are a part of nature and you have to live with them.

The odds you will be hit by a storm is very small and the winds you hear about on the news are only contained in a very small part of the storm making the odds you will be hit by them even smaller. These high winds will last only short time if you are unlucky enough to have them go right over you. I don't in any way want to minimize what a hurricane is, but they come and go and other then the inconvieance if you are prepared you will be fine. I have no fear of hurricanes at all, they have come before and they will come again.

As far as what I do during a storm. I just keep an eye on things. I have tarps in the house in case of a leak. Lots of towels in case some water should find a way in. I have some wood and an assortment of screws and tools should I have to do a repair of some kind. In Wilma I had to run long drywall screw through my back door into the frame, I thought it was going to blow in at one point. They can certainly be an adventure that's for sure.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:20 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post

Jen
It depends on each storm. Some move fast and some are slow.

I went through Hurricane Andrew Cat 5 storm (worst that hit Florida in recent yeras) We started feeling affects at like 1 or 2 am. 4 am the eye went over the outer islands of South Dade, 5 am landfall, 8 am the eye is over the Everglades were it resurfaced in the Gulf as a Cat 3 storm. It was still raining and windy though at 8 am in Miami. This was considered a fast moving storm. The worst was about 3 hours. But from the start to end it was like 10 hours. Don't forget the hurricane isn't the only concern during a storm, Tornados happen in hurricanes also.

What did we do, nothing we were huddled in an interior bathroom. 2 adults, two teenagers, 3 dogs, and a hamster all in a bathroom, with flashlights, radio (listening to Bryan Norcross), pillows, blankets. My Dad did go out during the eye to move the car back up against the house however. Took 2-3 months to get power back and 4 months to get phones, cable can't remember when that got back up.

If you want more info on Andrew try this site: http://www.stormtrack.org/library/damage/andrew.htm

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-23-2007 at 08:32 AM..

Old 05-23-2007, 08:41 AM

9 posts, read 41,928 times
Default We evacuate

Hi,
I live right on the Gulf and I watch very carefully each storm and how it might affect us before making a decision to leave.
We figure it this way......... stay and possibly die or leave and live another day.
It seriously depends on the storm, how fast it is moving is not always a good thing, what cat it is does not always determine how bad it is going to be. For example the no name storm, we had water under our house which is on stilts, we left, our neighbors stayed and had to evacuate their home to get into ours or they would have drowned. We are eight feet above sea level and the water was coming in the windows at that level.
Their house is on ground level and it was gutted, they lost everything..
The no name storm was not even a cat 1 storm.
Being always prepared to leave is a good thing, having a plan is a good thing.
Knowing weather patterns, having food and water for at least two weeks always stored is a good thing, having an escape route depending on where the storm is coming from is a good thing.
Storms are a part of life here. No place in Florida is immune. Because you have not been hit does not mean we should not be prepared with food and water for the duration.
It is really discouraging to see how many folks don't take any precautions at all.
Starting now is a good time to get ready "just in case". What do we have to lose?
Everything
I am not a doom and gloomer, but after the no name I am a believer.... in staying prepared always staying prepared to leave ....that is..........
Abigail

Old 05-23-2007, 08:50 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,004 times
It depends on where you live and the storm. Charlie was a relatively small storm although powerful and very fast. We lived in Winter Park at the time and the storm passed over us in about 2 hours or less. We sat in front of the big glass patio doors and watched the trees twist and sway.....Yeah I know it was stupid, but I had lived in Florida for 23 years and never been through a hurricane. I wanted to see it. We lived in a 1960's concrete block home and the only damage we suffered was losing a few shingles.

Frances and Jeanne followed shortly thereafter and for us they were basically rain events that lasted for 2 days. We had some wind, but no really strong wind as we had in Charlie. We had no damage. We enjoyed 2 days off work and playing games, eating, etc. with family. It was almost like a vacation for us.

The worst part of the storms for us was losing electricity. With Charlie we were out for a week, 5 days with Frances and 3 days with Jeanne. But even worse than that is what has happened with insurance costs since then! Even though you had no claims!

When the storms came through in late summer/fall of 2004 we were building a home in east Orlando. The homes in our new community had NO damage at all and never lost electricity (all the lines are buried). We were amazed as we drove through and saw not even 1 shingle blown off after Charlie. This is a real testiment to the new hurricane codes that was put into effect after Andrew.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:51 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Many people that chose to stay to ride out the storm, because of what can happen after the storm. If it is bad after the storm, the authorities will not people back in for a awhile. But also many people want to be there to protect their homes from looters. A sad part of hurricanes.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 AM

460 posts, read 2,343,936 times
WOW! Thanks for the replies! I just wondered what it was really like to ride one out in your home!

Jen

Old 05-23-2007, 12:44 PM

326 posts, read 470,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
It depends on each storm. Some move fast and some are slow.

I went through Hurricane Andrew Cat 5 storm (worst that hit Florida in recent yeras) We started feeling affects at like 1 or 2 am. 4 am the eye went over the outer islands of South Dade, 5 am landfall, 8 am the eye is over the Everglades were it resurfaced in the Gulf as a Cat 3 storm. It was still raining and windy though at 8 am in Miami. This was considered a fast moving storm. The worst was about 3 hours. But from the start to end it was like 10 hours. Don't forget the hurricane isn't the only concern during a storm, Tornados happen in hurricanes also.

What did we do, nothing we were huddled in an interior bathroom. 2 adults, two teenagers, 3 dogs, and a hamster all in a bathroom, with flashlights, radio (listening to Bryan Norcross), pillows, blankets. My Dad did go out during the eye to move the car back up against the house however. Took 2-3 months to get power back and 4 months to get phones, cable can't remember when that got back up.

If you want more info on Andrew try this site: http://www.stormtrack.org/library/damage/andrew.htm
did your house sustain any type of damage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes