Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 04:50 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Charleston’s historic downtown area flooded Monday, as now-Tropical Storm Irma continued churning northward from Florida. The Post and Courier said the storm had generated a 9.9-foot tide, the third highest on record for the city,

photos at
Incredible New Video Shows Irma Flooding Downtown Charleston – Mother Jones
Crazy. Was there not that long ago, recognize many of those spots. Couldn't picture the water being that high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 04:59 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
The storm had another impact that I haven't seen mentioned. The beach this morning in Cocoa Beach was littered with hundreds of hatchling turtles that stood no chance against the hard onshore flow. They were joined by a large number of older and yearling little turtles who were pushed in from farther offshore. I spent the morning gathering a bucketful of weary little guys and handed them off to the turtle people who had their craziest day ever collecting all these turtles. I imagine the entire east coast saw similar. I also found some exposed turtle eggs from nests that were washed out. Not a good day for sea turtles. Overall, the beach faired well with sand lost at the shoreline and sand gained on the dune. Swell is just now dying down with hard SW wind.

On another note, Cocoa Beach took a pretty hard hit with widespread damage. The roof on the CB police station lifted off during the night. The oceanfront building I rode the storm out in had four AC units blown off their perches on the roof. One landed in the pool. We have no water and no power and expect a long wait. Heard that there were multiple, as yet unlocated major water line breaks from soft and saturated soil that allowed the aging pipes to break. I'm emptying the pool one bucket at a time.

There is not a vertical stop sign in the city.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:35 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
Indeed. Cambium is great. Love all of the weather posts Cambium does over in the Connecticut forum. I'd be at a loss without them half the time.
Count me among those who enjoy and rely on Cambium's Weather Reports.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
lmao

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/st...26284723900416

Old 09-11-2017, 05:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
My area in north Nokomis came through relatively unscathed
No flooding in any of our homes---seems like our storm drains worked very well
The reduced strength of Irma undoubtedly was a blessing to many west of the eye
The scariest thing was having a queen Palm in front yard fall parallel to house--not on roof...
Sideline fence is somewhat pushed sideways but kept our pool cage w/o any lost screening or bent sections
Our daughter's house in good shape as well

We were definitely on the right (left) side of the eye...seeing what is going on along the east coast I am just incredibly grateful not to be dealing with that flooding...

I can't thank those of you who followed this storm for so long and gave so unselfishly of your time and analysis enough...
I felt that I got much better info about what was going to happen than from almost any other source-and without knowing ANY of you I could trust your opinions...
So thank you who obviously are staying with Irma in the last days of her passage--
pbMaise, Cambium, Psychoma---you are the best IMO...
While I hope I don't need to return to this forum in the future (kind of unlikely with homes in TX and Florida), I hope you are still around --- doing your thing---cause you are top-notch in my book!!

Old 09-11-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That went viral in Houston's flooding--so someone added a US flag---
Totally fake
The guy who did it originally a couple of years ago couldn't believe it became such a meme and that people BELIEVED it...

Old 09-11-2017, 05:59 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The storm had another impact that I haven't seen mentioned. The beach this morning in Cocoa Beach was littered with hundreds of hatchling turtles that stood no chance against the hard onshore flow. They were joined by a large number of older and yearling little turtles who were pushed in from farther offshore. I spent the morning gathering a bucketful of weary little guys and handed them off to the turtle people who had their craziest day ever collecting all these turtles. I imagine the entire east coast saw similar. I also found some exposed turtle eggs from nests that were washed out. Not a good day for sea turtles. Overall, the beach faired well with sand lost at the shoreline and sand gained on the dune. Swell is just now dying down with hard SW wind.

Reporter on the Today Show this morning spent many minutes trying to rescue a baby dolphin that was too tired to swim past the breakers. Some experts finally came down and took care of it.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:02 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
That went viral in Houston's flooding--so someone added a US flag---
Totally fake
The guy who did it originally a couple of years ago couldn't believe it became such a meme and that people BELIEVED it...
Pretty sure we all know sharks dont wave flags

Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,401,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
Pretty sure we all know sharks dont wave flags
They do when they are fishing for a government contract.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Reporter on the Today Show this morning spent many minutes trying to rescue a baby dolphin that was too tired to swim past the breakers. Some experts finally came down and took care of it.
Actually the reporter was able to return the young dolphin--he had to walk it out into waist high water and hold it to allow it to acclimate after being on shore for so long
And he and his crew saw a man on shore a little farther down that had found a mature dolphin stranded
The reporter had the other men help him hold the dolphin appropriately and I thought they returned it to the Gulf...
Apparently he has experience with turtles and dolphins in similar circumstances because of his years following /interviewing the National Oceanographic institute people and stories about the oceans...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3487455

Your comment makes it seem that he did something inappropriate--like a reporter trying to hype himself vs acting professional....
That wasn't the impression I got at all...
He was also involved in helping relocate some young hatching turtles too I think
Or maybe that was another person....
Whoever helped the young turtles did turn them over to experts for final determination

Last edited by loves2read; 09-11-2017 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes