Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 07:29 AM

274 posts, read 326,798 times

Advertisements

I believe the NHC waits a bit to change their models.

If they changed them every 5 minutes people would become confused and lose faith.

I'm just so glad it looks like FL is going to be spared that awful scenario of a giant storm tearing across it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 07:43 AM

7,259 posts, read 4,629,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Appreciate the explanation. Just trying to make heads/tails of it all since I'm in FL. Thanks.
Ya I'm sure it's frustrating with the wait and uncertainty until near last minute. More data points being collected now that the players that turn Irma are over land so hopefully a clearer picture begins to emerge. With new GOES16/East satellite and new CYGNSS 8 micro satellites for hurricane observations all launched in late 2016 hopefully we're getting closer to better science with these storms but a ways to go still.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:49 AM

7,259 posts, read 4,629,838 times
Seeing supposed initial pics from St Martin this AM showing cement walls/buildings stand up pretty good compared to our (US) love of stick built homes/buildings in those winds.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:50 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Models seem to agree it'll curve east of FL yet South FL is more centered within the cone of uncertainty now. Kind of odd. Also, weather forecasts look a lot worse, NWS is predicting hurricane conditions for both Saturday and Sunday here, and TWC has increased the forecast from 60-80 mph winds to 100-115 mph for Sunday.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:54 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,775,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Models seem to agree it'll curve east of FL yet South FL is more centered within the cone of uncertainty now. Kind of odd. Also, weather forecasts look a lot worse, NWS is predicting hurricane conditions for both Saturday and Sunday here, and TWC has increased the forecast from 60-80 mph winds to 100-115 mph for Sunday.
I'm feeling a matthew 2.0 kinda situation here. In other words a whole lot of nothing, I won't be leaving the Key.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I'm feeling a matthew 2.0 kinda situation here. In other words a whole lot of nothing, I won't be leaving the Key.
I'm kind of feeling that too, but who knows. Part of me feels this is the real deal. This could either be Matthew 2.0 it could also be Wilma 2.0 as well (something this storm really reminded me of). I'm getting a worse feeling from this one than Matthew, last year I had a feeling Matthew was a fizzer the whole time, I haven't had that feeling with this one.

Just waiting on the 11 AM update.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I'm kind of feeling that too, but who knows. Part of me feels this is the real deal. This could either be Matthew 2.0 it could also be Wilma 2.0 as well (something this storm really reminded me of). I'm getting a worse feeling from this one than Matthew, last year I had a feeling Matthew was a fizzer the whole time, I haven't had that feeling with this one.

Just waiting on the 11 AM update.
Most models are in agreement regarding the miss to the east. I'm not really worried at all right now...I'm just happy school is already canceled for Thursday and Friday lol.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Most models are in agreement regarding the miss to the east. I'm not really worried at all right now...I'm just happy school is already canceled for Thursday and Friday lol.
I wouldn't take them for granted so much. Just 24 hrs ago models had it going into the Gulf or the west of us lol. I'm not saying the models are wrong, but we can't just take them for 100% certainty. One thing I will say is models have been pretty consistent on it not going straight over us, they've either been west or east of us.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't take them for granted so much. Just 24 hrs ago models had it going into the Gulf or the west of us lol. I'm not saying the models are wrong, but we can't just take them for 100% certainty. One thing I will say is models have been pretty consistent on it not going straight over us, they've either been west or east of us.
You are right about that lol. Even last night a lot of the models had it going west of us. My guess is that the trough diving into the eastern US is moving slower than the models thought it would. The only thing that could really scare me would be if they started predicting a 10ft+ storm surge on Key Biscayne, otherwise I'll be fine...My house made it through Andrew fine and recently it seems that when a storm has "140 mph" sustained winds surface winds end up not being much over 100 mph.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
have you gotten winds that strong from previous storms? What was it like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes