U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
27,699 posts, read 12,103,901 times
Reputation: 20225

Advertisements

The hype is just the Media's way of justifying man made climate change. We've had millions of years of EXTREME weather, and drastic climate change prior to man, and prior to man's industrialization, yet THIS ONE is the WORST. Oh my, can it be? I need to hide under my coloring book now. Someone give me a puppy to hug!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2017, 12:51 PM
 
6,905 posts, read 3,951,301 times
Reputation: 10857
Size of the storm, wind speed, etc are the metrics of the storm itself. Number of lives lost, monetary extent of damage, all tied to where the storm lands is another.

It's obvious the media thrives on sensationalism. Any way it can be spun as "worst" in the media's minds keeps viewership interest up.

I've seen enough footage with Irma and Harvey to know peoples lives were devastated. It was made very clear from reports I saw that storm surge is the biggest killer (water), not wind. I do not get hung up on comparing storms to each other. I just compare loss of life and cost to determine and compare which is worst, because that's all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2017, 11:30 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
4,733 posts, read 6,462,225 times
Reputation: 8068
But we do know the media hypes this stuff. When Hurricane Matthew hit us last year in the Sarasota/Bradenton area, it actually wasn't much more than a thunderstorm, and in fact people made those joke "I survived Matthew" memes on FB. But I had friends frantically messaging me because they saw pictures of flooded roads (they kept showing the same picture of an area on 41 that always floods with rainstorms) and of course the blowing palm trees. If you were not here, you would certainly have thought we were getting completely blasted and it was just not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 07:37 AM
 
32,031 posts, read 50,099,138 times
Reputation: 17902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
But we do know the media hypes this stuff. When Hurricane Matthew hit us last year in the Sarasota/Bradenton area, it actually wasn't much more than a thunderstorm, and in fact people made those joke "I survived Matthew" memes on FB. But I had friends frantically messaging me because they saw pictures of flooded roads (they kept showing the same picture of an area on 41 that always floods with rainstorms) and of course the blowing palm trees. If you were not here, you would certainly have thought we were getting completely blasted and it was just not the case.
The news didn't fake photos of the Virgin Island
Anyone seeing those photos and being close to the Gulf Coast or Keys or Miami area when there was no surety of where Irma would come ashore had every right to be afraid
The MSM is about hype and sensationalizing what they have but you can't argue there was NO reason to be afraid/cautious/worried---call it what you will...
Do you have children?
That puts people into another dimension of caution

I think the thing to do if find someone/weather person---who did give good advice
I think we had three or four people on CD Hurricane forum worth listening to
I had couple of Internet sites (Tropical Tidbits and the Houston Space City Weather) who did informed, more than average accurate reports...
I have difficult time with my iPad getting news stations in some areas that are eas to watch because their sites use FLash and that does not work for me so watching a local Tampa/SRQ station might have had the same low-key reporting w/accurate info---I just couldn't really get that...

But to say that there was no reason to be worried is just wrong---that in itself is a disservice to people in danger zones...
The fact is that once Irma hit Cuba--which many models did not predict--she was compromised...thankfully
There were other issues--like the dry air on the east coast mentioned b Psychoma here and I don't know that I ever say that mentioned on another forecaster's report--
Those two factors were huge in the weakening of Irma--
Without the Cuba strike which lasted longer, slowed her speed and kinetic energy down there is no telling if he would have hit the Keys as a 5 and if that had happened good bye Margaritaville... Because the storm surge would have been strong enough to have swamped almost anything on the islands...she would have come in Napes or further up the coast maybe Tampa as much stronger 4 than the three she hit Naples...
All kinds of what if's...and no models on how Irma could have been worse--because with the flooding on the east coast, she was bad enough...
Talked to my neighbor who has pilot friend in Miama--he just got his power on-thankfully no bad physical damage---try going a week w/o power in Miami---you can have mold in your home just from humidity...

But do not say there was not a reason to be worried
Hurricane science is INexact---there will never be a forecast that can track the precise GPS point to point 48 hrs before landfall...
Not unless we can engineer weather vs just predict it
And even the secondary damage from storms like electricity outages and secondary flooding are as damaging or more than the initial impact...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 02:50 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
4,733 posts, read 6,462,225 times
Reputation: 8068
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The news didn't fake photos of the Virgin Island
Anyone seeing those photos and being close to the Gulf Coast or Keys or Miami area when there was no surety of where Irma would come ashore had every right to be afraid
The MSM is about hype and sensationalizing what they have but you can't argue there was NO reason to be afraid/cautious/worried---call it what you will...
Do you have children?
That puts people into another dimension of caution

I think the thing to do if find someone/weather person---who did give good advice
I think we had three or four people on CD Hurricane forum worth listening to
I had couple of Internet sites (Tropical Tidbits and the Houston Space City Weather) who did informed, more than average accurate reports...
I have difficult time with my iPad getting news stations in some areas that are eas to watch because their sites use FLash and that does not work for me so watching a local Tampa/SRQ station might have had the same low-key reporting w/accurate info---I just couldn't really get that...

But to say that there was no reason to be worried is just wrong---that in itself is a disservice to people in danger zones...
The fact is that once Irma hit Cuba--which many models did not predict--she was compromised...thankfully
There were other issues--like the dry air on the east coast mentioned b Psychoma here and I don't know that I ever say that mentioned on another forecaster's report--
Those two factors were huge in the weakening of Irma--
Without the Cuba strike which lasted longer, slowed her speed and kinetic energy down there is no telling if he would have hit the Keys as a 5 and if that had happened good bye Margaritaville... Because the storm surge would have been strong enough to have swamped almost anything on the islands...she would have come in Napes or further up the coast maybe Tampa as much stronger 4 than the three she hit Naples...
All kinds of what if's...and no models on how Irma could have been worse--because with the flooding on the east coast, she was bad enough...
Talked to my neighbor who has pilot friend in Miama--he just got his power on-thankfully no bad physical damage---try going a week w/o power in Miami---you can have mold in your home just from humidity...

But do not say there was not a reason to be worried
Hurricane science is INexact---there will never be a forecast that can track the precise GPS point to point 48 hrs before landfall...
Not unless we can engineer weather vs just predict it
And even the secondary damage from storms like electricity outages and secondary flooding are as damaging or more than the initial impact...
I didn't say there was no reason to be worried, I don't even know where you're getting that from what I posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 02:19 PM
 
Location: H-town, TX.
3,503 posts, read 6,167,115 times
Reputation: 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The hype is just the Media's way of justifying man made climate change. We've had millions of years of EXTREME weather, and drastic climate change prior to man, and prior to man's industrialization, yet THIS ONE is the WORST. Oh my, can it be? I need to hide under my coloring book now. Someone give me a puppy to hug!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!


True. This is not new news. I think it was that Masters goon at weather underground who was trumpeting Typhoon Haiyan a few years back as "the strongest ever" and climate change this and that, yet landfall was nowhere near 200 mph.

Same thing with Barbuda and St Martin. Yes, things are bad there, but one would have figured in the current year that building codes would be much better on those islands, but hearing about the security situation over there reminds me that I am badly mistaken about how the Euros run their dependencies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Boulder County, CO
951 posts, read 590,342 times
Reputation: 1027
I remember during the last active Atlantic year (2005 I think?) some scientists were claiming that hurricanes were just going to keep getting worse because of man-made climate change..and then of course we go on to have one of the longest landfall droughts in history. Oops. People will forget all about that moving forward because people are mentally enslaved morons who will believe pretty much believe anything on the news.

but at the end of the day it doesn't even matter because weather is not climate!!!!!

Last edited by Jame22; 09-19-2017 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 08:53 AM
 
384 posts, read 157,160 times
Reputation: 565
Katrina seemed monstrous and more powerful at its peak than Irma. Irma was a dangerous storm no doubt, but at one point Katrina nearly spanned the entire Gulf of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top