U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:20 PM

1,758 posts, read 755,152 times

Advertisements

Elina, I was able to text to Call Loop & get a return text. We'll see if I get any texts... I've successfully signed up for 2 similar apps that haven't yet sent me an alert & I'm in a hurricane warning & there are evacuations all around me. I'd think I'd have received something by now.

I keep getting system error codes with the AccuWeather app, but on the 4th try, it downloaded. Now I'll have to see if I can sign up for alerts with it. The others listed in the article aren't for Win phones.

Whomever said to download several, I agree.

Cam... thank you. Two don't work for me, the other (the ones with shelters) is a dead link.

I'll keep trying others. Thanks again!

Last edited by A.Typical.Girl; 09-08-2017 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 PM

73,268 posts, read 56,723,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Elina, I was able to text to Call Loop & get a return text. We'll see if I get any texts... I've successfully signed up for 2 similar apps that haven't yet sent me an alert & I'm in a hurricane warning & there are evacuations all around me. I'd think I'd have received something by now.

I keep getting system error codes with the AccuWeather app, but on the 4th try, it downloaded. Now I'll have to see if I can sign up for alerts with it. The others listed in the article aren't for Win phones.

Whomever said to download several, I agree.

Cam... thank you. I'm trying to get any I can.

I'll keep trying others. Thanks again!
I use http://www.weatherusa.net/alerts/ Simple warning and alerts texted to your phone. Free. Just sign up

Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 PM

6,414 posts, read 4,227,845 times
Not an app but text FLPrepares to 888-777. Then you can text your zip code for city or county alerts.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Not an app but text FLPrepares to 888-777. Then you can text your zip code for city or county alerts.
Beautiful, thank you, ATofW! Just what I can use. And, thank you for the 2nd part... it didn't instruct me to text my zip, too.

BTW, for those who may be wondering... I can get info on my computer & local TV, but since I often lose cable during bad storms, I'm assuming that with the hurricane & the cable will disappear soon.

I wanted something for my phone. Also, a nice shout out is, Verizon gave me 3G of data for free due to the storm, which is very nice.

Thank you, All for your help! I really do appreciate it! My shelters are filled & the rest of us are waiting for the storm to hit. Batten down the hatches.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I use Free Weather Alerts by Text Message and E-mail Simple warning and alerts texted to your phone. Free. Just sign up
It's an Android app. See my dilemma... can't find Windows apps. I get an error msg if I try to install.

At this late date, it's fine. We have a 3pm curfew, our shelters are fairly filled & I live in a sturdy bldg, albeit on the 1st fl... I'll just wait it out here. Fortunately, I'm not in one of the evacuation zones so far.

Thank you so much everyone. I appreciate all the efforts. This is frustrating not having iOS or an iPhone. Hopefully, it will pass soon.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:00 AM

42,591 posts, read 61,343,258 times
Many of my apps are saved as web links (to save space), so FEMA link is definitely great source of all info. We used it a lot during Harvey.

Regular weather app with alert setting should work too, check your app store (I have android).
When I had Windows phone I used AccuWeather with push notifications and severe weather alerts. It worked great for me.
National Weather Service doesn’t have a dedicated app, per se, but it will send you the latest weather information via text message. To get those updates, text WEATHER to 38470 and the National Weather Service will take it from there.
For evacuation routes and road closures go here:
https://fl511.com/#:Alerts
You can also see live cameras - login to customize.
More info and resources here:
Make your smartphone your best friend in a hurricane - Sun Sentinel
Apps to help you stay connected during Hurricane Irma | WFLA.com

Zello is a free walkie-talkie app that can be used on smartphones, tablets or PCs. The app uses cells data service or Wi-Fi to make your device into a two-way radio. It requires less bandwidth than a phone call, meaning the walkie-talkie will often work when calls won't go through.

Hoping to dispel misinformation, Zello has warned that internet service, either through Wi-Fi or cellular data, is necessary to use the app.
http://zello.com/app
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...ncrfj4pj?rtc=1

Please let us know if any of them work for you.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance
Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 09-09-2017 at 12:11 AM..

Old 09-10-2017, 02:01 PM

42,591 posts, read 61,343,258 times
OP didn't came back. Hope she has all info needed and is in a safe place waiting for the hurricane to pass. OP, please report back when all is over.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance
Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 369 times
Hi,

I'm in the UK but a Windows Phone user and have found this if any help, [url]https://m.windowscentral.com/top-windows-phone-apps-hurricane-season#slide2[/url]

This app seems to be the most popular, [url]https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/hurricane-tracker/9wzdncrdkx7b?rtc=1[/url]

Stay safe

Paul

Last edited by ivinsp; 09-10-2017 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Link for app

Old 09-15-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
OP didn't came back. Hope she has all info needed and is in a safe place waiting for the hurricane to pass. OP, please report back when all is over.
Thank you for your concern, Elnina, ivinsp & all. I'm fine, thank you!

Update first... today was a big day... cable/'net came back on, they finally cleared the 30' fallen trees & 6' branch piles discarded like toy cars all over the property (it looked like a tornado hit), trash was finally collected... well, some of it... & I finally have running water... well, intermittent water. When it comes on, you've gotta move fast to fill every container & take a lightening fast bath before it goes off again, but so far, so good. I've had 4-hrs of available running water. Woo hoo... now I can stop bathing with cotton balls dipped in room freshener & vanilla extract & "washing" my face with cold cream & olive oil.

We're expected to be fully back to normal by next weekend. Our 6pm-6am curfew was lifted today.

I'm in W. Boca & from what I understand, our electric wires are underground. Not so lucky in other, newer parts of Boca, so half are without power & a/c. Most roads are clear. Store shelves are still mostly empty... they said next week, trucks should probably be bringing in supplies. I did finally get gas, but it's cash only... some stations still didn't have gas when I was out yesterday. Some biz's still aren't open.

I've been through plenty of hurricanes & nor'easters, but in Boston the bldgs are old, sturdy Victorians, made to withstand the 9-mos of awful weather we always had. Here, bldg codes differ, so I was a bit nervous about what to expect. Wind was pretty scary... I was lucky again in that the rain pelted everyone's windows around me & uprooted trees onto cars & blocked roads, but everything just passed me by. My 1st fl deck usually floods with a good thunderstorm (so I'm outside like a lunatic at 2am sweeping water from the deck, so it doesn't seep inside), so the fact that I had no flooding or rattling windows, is amazing. What was scarier is everyone around me left on Tues-Wed (Irma didn't hit 'til Sat). The parking lot was virtually empty. Most returned on Tues-Wed.

ininsp... I will look into those links, thank you.

Now for the apps... all that I downloaded didn't give me 1 warning msg... for whatever reason, I couldn't get them to work. Fortunately, my phone was working, so how I got my info was from my oldest brother, who watched the news non-stop & perused online local info for my area (cable/'net was the 1st thing I lost) & sent me regular local updates via email that I could pull up on my phone. I was mainly looking for local evacuation info. Turns out they evacuated everyone within blocks around me & once again, I lucked out.

So, I weathered through & I'm lucky my brother was able to help me so much, but I really do need to find Win apps that will give me local alerts for our next weather woe. I had no idea it would be an issue, cuz when I was in SoCal, I readily downloaded a local wildfire app that worked great... I did live in an area that was hit several times by them.

Thank you so much everyone. I do appreciate everyone's timely replies! Have a great weekend, All!

Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsp View Post
Hi,

I'm in the UK but a Windows Phone user and have found this if any help, https://m.windowscentral.com/top-win...-season#slide2

This app seems to be the most popular, https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/stor...ncrdkx7b?rtc=1

Stay safe

Paul
Thanks, Paul. This isn't local/specific enough. As I mentioned above, I wanted local info on evacuations, closings, warnings, etc. But, I appreciate your effort & for offering to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes