U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:54 PM

1,758 posts, read 752,490 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this here, rather than the FL board, as you all seem to be on top of weather more than there.

Can someone help me find a Win phone app I can install onto my phone for weather alerts? I need it to hear about evacuations... we're expected to be hit on Sat & there are voluntary evacs in the county next to me.

Everything I find is Android/Apple or I've attempted downloads & get a msg that my device doesn't exist. I've enabled notifications & have had similar apps recently when living in SoCal for wildfires, so I'm sure the issue isn't my phone... it seems to be I just have a rare phone OS.

I'm in Boca Raton in Palm Beach Cty (at the border of PBC & 2 blocks from Broward Cty). I tried 4-5 apps to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:47 PM

4,297 posts, read 2,176,874 times
Dont know of a windows app for you, but you may want to try Florida Division of Emergency Management - FloridaDisaster.org and click/tap the "Hurricane Irma" banner right at the top center of the first page.

Also see about signing up for CodeRed Alert, you can google CodeRed Alert Florida and several county info pages pop up telling how to sign up for phone alerts.

Also see if you're local National Weather Service office is active on social media such as twitter where you can turn on alerts should they issue any warnings (again depends if they're active or not or available during the storm).

Always best to have multiple ways to receive alerts since they all work at different speeds and reliability may be in question once storm approaches.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:51 PM

42,497 posts, read 61,239,464 times
Zello app is incredibly popular now.
Also check:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...on-your-phone/

Hurricane Irma: Storm trackers and other survival tools for mobile and desktop users | ZDNet
Stay safe!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance
Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:52 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,087,531 times
Wouldn't your local news station have alerts set up on their weather page? Ours does. You download from those news sites. I'd think if you can't use them you could go on their FB or twitter page and ask if they have a version for your phone.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Dont know of a windows app for you, but you may want to try Florida Division of Emergency Management - FloridaDisaster.org and click/tap the "Hurricane Irma" banner right at the top center of the first page.

Also see about signing up for CodeRed Alert, you can google CodeRed Alert Florida and several county info pages pop up telling how to sign up for phone alerts.

Also see if you're local National Weather Service office is active on social media such as twitter where you can turn on alerts should they issue any warnings (again depends if they're active or not or available during the storm).

Always best to have multiple ways to receive alerts since they all work at different speeds and reliability may be in question once storm approaches.
This is what's so annoying. I've tried all those & they're not working for me. I don't have Twitter, but if it's the only way to stay connected, I'll open an account.

Thank you so much Psychoma.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Wouldn't your local news station have alerts set up on their weather page? Ours does. You download from those news sites. I'd think if you can't use them you could go on their FB or twitter page and ask if they have a version for your phone.
Sollaces, I downloaded one app which took forever as they wanted my name & address, etc & haven't gotten 1 alert. The other stations don't work for me... as I said, Android/Apple.

If I find nothing else, I'll pull up a list of radio/TV stations & see if I can find an app. I just thought perhaps there was a common one for hurricanes. The issue is, I can find apps, they just don't work or won't download.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Elina, I haven't seen these, so thank you, I'll try them right now. Cheers!

Old 09-08-2017, 08:03 PM

73,185 posts, read 56,647,299 times
How about this? I dont know anything about it but seems like it could be good.

"An app that displays open FEMA evacuation shelters with population and capacity numbers. Updated every hour. I hope this can help people in Irma's path find shelter."

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeaut...ma_evacuation/

Old 09-08-2017, 08:05 PM

Might be just for Jacksonville area. Try doing an app search for what you're looking for

https://twitter.com/CityofJax/status/905881323042217984

Old 09-08-2017, 08:06 PM

https://twitter.com/hurrtrackerapp/s...06438687072256
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes