Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 08:59 PM

696 posts, read 904,594 times

Advertisements

Where I live we don't get hurricane but we do get storms and things near the lake or flooding in low lying areas. When we do the news crews run to the scene and film it and if I didn't live here I would think it was like that all over the city, when it's only in certain areas. If there is a hurricane and your not in a low lying area near the water are things mostly fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 09:15 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
Hurricanes come with multiple threats, water being the main one:
-surge traveling inland from the beach and anything connected to it (bays, rivers, storm drains, etc).
-heavy rains flooding areas (low lying most likely but since they can dump 1-4+inches per hour anywhere with poor drainage or not able to handle on/off of that can flood).
-Wind which can cause some type of damage even several hundred miles inland (to trees, power, buildings, etc)
-small and brief tornadoes are very common especially on the NE side of the storm in rain bands.
-Also the aspect of no power (even well inland) means you can't pump gas, use ATM's or credit cards, cell cervice go's, ability to obtain information becomes very difficult, etc.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:10 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Damage can still be quite significant inland with flooding and wind damage. At least here...just 50 MPH winds can cause issues. Florida can withstand that a little better than us, but even moderate winds can still make a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if there are problems well into Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee with wind and rain.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
We were 90 miles inland when Fran hit NC. Some river and lowland flooding. Lots of trees down, which takes down the power lines. Some were out of power for a week. So inland isnt bad at all. But on the coast, the storm surge and waves take out everything. There was on small town on the Tx. coast that was completely destroyed. I dont think they ever rebuilt. Property ownership on the gulf or Atlantic coast is a very risky investment.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:31 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
With my area (10 minutes from the beach, elevation 250') its just the wind that's an issue. Trees all over the place. Flooding not an issue at all except few local spots of course near our brooks and rivers and low lying areas. There's a ton of those. We drain out easy but don't forget we get Vermont and MA water flowing through too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes