Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:34 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Climate change has been happening since the 1800s.
>>>>>> Its been changing for hundreds of millions of years, make that billions. Long before man and long after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 11:47 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If someone sees actual pictures, flyover, etc., of Maria please post the link. I haven't seen any pics of any damage at all. Which I do find bizarre as the media lives to show destruction and tragedy. There should be nothing left standing on the island. Nothing.

Maybe later today photo coverage will be available. But I won't believe it was truly a cat 5 unless I can SEE it for myself. Storm was too weird.
>>>> I saw some footage that claimed to be from Martinique and it wasn't that bad. Downed tree limbs along the road and empty parking lots and heavy surf. Their should be videos all over the internet by now.
I think they hyped and exaggerated intensity and the damage to get people to take the storm seriously and to minimize loss of human life. It worked with Irma.
That's not a bad thing, but they've also gone to trying to tie this spate of storms in with global warming and that's forcing us to have more scrutiny from " official" reports.
It was probably a pretty nasty storm, maybe a CAT 3 but quick moving and more compact.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:53 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
>>>> I saw some footage that claimed to be from Martinique and it wasn't that bad. Downed tree limbs along the road and empty parking lots and heavy surf. Their should be videos all over the internet by now.
I think they hyped and exaggerated intensity and the damage to get people to take the storm seriously and to minimize loss of human life. It worked with Irma.
That's not a bad thing, but they've also gone to trying to tie this spate of storms in with global warming and that's forcing us to have more scrutiny from " official" reports.
It was probably a pretty nasty storm, maybe a CAT 3 but quick moving and more compact.
That's kind of what I was thinking, maybe a Cat 3. So why are they calling it a Cat 5? And weird reports from a prime minister during the storm that cannot be verified?

And no pics yet? Not one media/news company chomping at the bit to be the first to reveal the exclusive footage/photos of the devastation of a Cat 5? They LIVE for that kind of reporting. So where is CNN/MSNBC/FOX et al???

It doesn't make sense.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:01 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
That's kind of what I was thinking, maybe a Cat 3. So why are they calling it a Cat 5? And weird reports from a prime minister during the storm that cannot be verified?

And no pics yet? Not one media/news company chomping at the bit to be the first to reveal the exclusive footage/photos of the devastation of a Cat 5? They LIVE for that kind of reporting. So where is CNN/MSNBC/FOX et al???

It doesn't make sense.
? Are you kidding..It was like a 10 mile wide tornado going through Dominica.. total devastation where the eye crossed. That good enough for you .

Old 09-19-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Unreal..you are using an island not near the eye to make your calculation of an f3. Are you people for real? Take a gander at the early ham operator reports out of Dominica and tell me that's not a cat 5 ...

Old 09-19-2017, 12:10 PM

7,259 posts, read 4,628,816 times
Quote:

Martinique wouldn't be bad...they didn't get hit by a hurricane, only part of Dominica did thus far.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:01 PM

7,259 posts, read 4,628,816 times
3pmEST/AST: Winds 165mph sustained, with higher gust, moving WNW 10mph, pressure 920mb. Located 100miles SE of St. Croix which recently reported wind gust of 48mph. Eye has shrunk to 5-10miles in diameter, and that's surrounded by the eye wall right around it and that contains the cat5 winds. May undergo ERC (Eyewall replacement cycle) before too long (changing its batteries basically) but those are hard to actually predict, but are common in stronger hurricanes.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
? Are you kidding..It was like a 10 mile wide tornado going through Dominica.. total devastation where the eye crossed. That good enough for you .
Please post links to pics or video. I would like to see it. I haven't seen anything of it, just weird tweets from a prime minister claiming that other people are claiming that their houses have no roofs. During the storm itself. How would they know? Are they tweeting while clinging to trees as the 160 mph winds drive by them?

So please, if you have links to post-Maria info re Dominica, via pics/video from reputable sources, please post them. As far as I can tell no news media outlet has released anything.

Here's a link from CNN, dated 3:09 pm TODAY.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/18/americ...lee/index.html

No footage, no photos, no bystander interviews, no audio feed from storm shelter, NOTHING. ???? And she spends the bulk of the report on Puerto Rico. No one else finds this weird? At all???

Last edited by newtovenice; 09-19-2017 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: ADDED CNN LINK

Old 09-19-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Please post links to pics or video. I would like to see it. I haven't seen anything of it, just weird tweets from a prime minister claiming that other people are claiming that their houses have no roofs. During the storm itself. How would they know? Are they tweeting while clinging to trees as the 160 mph winds drive by them?

So please, if you have links to post-Maria info re Dominica, via pics/video from reputable sources, please post them. As far as I can tell no news media outlet has released anything.

Here's a link from CNN, dated 3:09 pm TODAY.
Dominica PM: Hurricane Maria 'devastates' island - CNN

No footage, no photos, no bystander interviews, no audio feed from storm shelter, NOTHING. ???? And she spends the bulk of the report on Puerto Rico. No one else finds this weird? At all???
There is no communication yet ....think about it. How are they going to get the pictures ? The fact they HAVEN'T posted anything is very troubling the other way. If it wasnt bad you would be seeing stuff.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
There is no communication yet ....think about it. How are they going to get the pictures ? The fact they HAVEN'T posted anything is very troubling the other way. If it wasnt bad you would be seeing stuff.
CNN is capable of broadcasting from anywhere. War zones, isolated zones, flyovers, etc. Local news? Of course not, not expecting that at all, that would be ridiculous to expect, of course I agree with you there.

But CNN? They could in a heartbeat get photos/footage out, no question about that. The Weather Channel also has the capability to do so. At the bare minimum all they need to do is fly a plane over for footage, don't land, in and out. Google satelite could get footage. Many ways this could happen. Just ... odd.

Anyway won't mention this again, not going to tie up the thread with it.

Last edited by newtovenice; 09-19-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes