U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2017, 02:04 PM
 
9,751 posts, read 9,438,071 times
Reputation: 5979

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
CNN is capable of broadcasting from anywhere. War zones, isolated zones, flyovers, etc. Local news? Of course not, not expecting that at all, that would be ridiculous to expect, of course I agree with you there.

But CNN? They could in a heartbeat get photos/footage out, no question about that. The Weather Channel also has the capability to do so. At the bare minimum all they need to do is fly a plane over for footage, don't land, in and out. Google satelite could get footage. Many ways this could happen. Just ... odd.

Anyway won't mention this again, not going to tie up the thread with it.
I suspect a swath of great damage. Not sure why the hurry to see it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2017, 02:06 PM
 
6,905 posts, read 4,263,613 times
Reputation: 9084
The eye of Maria directly over Dominica.





Credit: NOAA GOES-16 Experimental
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 02:20 PM
 
9,751 posts, read 9,438,071 times
Reputation: 5979
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The eye of Maria directly over Dominica.





Credit: NOAA GOES-16 Experimental
Frightening pic....amazing in one way and downright terrifying in another.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 02:26 PM
 
4,809 posts, read 2,369,774 times
Reputation: 1667
Recon finding pressure below 920mb now, still strengthening.

iCyclone chasing Maria trying to punch the eye once again, this time he's in south east Puerto Rico:

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 02:33 PM
 
6,905 posts, read 4,263,613 times
Reputation: 9084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Frightening pic....amazing in one way and downright terrifying in another.
Agreed, here's an animation from UW-Madison and the NOAA GOES-16 “Clean Window” Infrared 10.3 µm imagery.

Let it load first and go through one loop (might be slow depending on your internet connection), then it will be faster for the subsequent loops.


Last edited by cjseliga; 09-19-2017 at 03:33 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 02:46 PM
 
2,005 posts, read 1,640,346 times
Reputation: 1511
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
CNN is capable of broadcasting from anywhere. War zones, isolated zones, flyovers, etc. Local news? Of course not, not expecting that at all, that would be ridiculous to expect, of course I agree with you there.

But CNN? They could in a heartbeat get photos/footage out, no question about that. The Weather Channel also has the capability to do so. At the bare minimum all they need to do is fly a plane over for footage, don't land, in and out. Google satelite could get footage. Many ways this could happen. Just ... odd.

Anyway won't mention this again, not going to tie up the thread with it.
You're right... CNN would do anything to hype anything
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 02:49 PM
 
9,751 posts, read 9,438,071 times
Reputation: 5979
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Agreed, here's an animation from UW-Madison and the NOAA GOES-16 “Clean Window” Infrared 10.3 µm imagery.
Unreal..that poor island, you couldn't be in a worse spot. The amount of rain too
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 02:55 PM
 
9,751 posts, read 9,438,071 times
Reputation: 5979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Recon finding pressure below 920mb now, still strengthening.

iCyclone chasing Maria trying to punch the eye once again, this time he's in south east Puerto Rico:
5:00 pm

916 mb

165 MPH


unreal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 03:24 PM
 
4,809 posts, read 2,369,774 times
Reputation: 1667
Only 80 miles SE of St. Croix and 175 miles SE of San Juan, Puerto Rico.



Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 03:25 PM
 
6,913 posts, read 3,982,771 times
Reputation: 10886
Mother Nature has been pi$$ed off this hurricane season. Where are the religious people talking about God's wrath against humans?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top