U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 06:27 PM

377 posts, read 541,049 times

Advertisements

Ice Tea
"One source said that damage was minimal, the President said it was" mind boggling."
and newtovenice
"Glad I'm not the only one noticing the discrepancy."
There is no discrepancy.
Martinique does not have a President. You are the one misquoting a person who does not exist. Martinique is French. It has a Prefect and is governed by the Overseas Department of France.
It was the Prime Minister of Dominica who said that the destruction was mind boggling. You know, Dominica, where 165 mph winds hit the island dead on and where there is no communication except for isolated ham radio operators.
Please, this is a serious forum for people who are truly interested in this region and grateful to the folk who dedicate their time and talent to helping.
The two of you are not helping with your misinformation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 06:29 PM

74,073 posts, read 57,443,479 times
https://twitter.com/NWSCharlestonSC/...93978016346112

Old 09-19-2017, 06:43 PM

10,745 posts, read 3,281,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
Ice Tea
"One source said that damage was minimal, the President said it was" mind boggling."
and newtovenice
"Glad I'm not the only one noticing the discrepancy."
There is no discrepancy.
Martinique does not have a President. You are the one misquoting a person who does not exist. Martinique is French. It has a Prefect and is governed by the Overseas Department of France.
It was the Prime Minister of Dominica who said that the destruction was mind boggling. You know, Dominica, where 165 mph winds hit the island dead on and where there is no communication except for isolated ham radio operators.
Please, this is a serious forum for people who are truly interested in this region and grateful to the folk who dedicate their time and talent to helping.
The two of you are not helping with your misinformation.
I have not posted any misinformation. Yes I know the prime minister of Dominica said that. I also know he said he was talking to a whole bunch of people who also lost their roofs, all these conversations talking place DURING the storm. So were they hanging onto to bathroom doors, in roofless houses as the 165 mph whipped above them? Do these statements make logical sense? Would you be tweeting/texting while the ROOF OF YOUR HOUSE WAS BEING RIPPED OFF???

As someone who just had to flee my home, I am truly interested. As someone who has lived through multiple hurricanes, I am truly grateful to those who are helpful.

Asking for pictures of damage when it keeps being claimed that a Cat 5 hurricane battered, devastated, smashed, et al., pick a headline ANY headline regarding Dominica, is not beyond the scope of this thread. This is TREMENDOUS news, record breaking news, a Cat 5 hurricane direct landall???

And CNN/Weather Channel/MSNBC/et al news networks can't cough up $15K to send a plane with one videographer to survey the damage from above and have an exclusive to the "weather event of the century"?

I find that very odd, after days and days of hype. Someone pointed out that perhaps the networks would rather spend the money/staff on Puerto Rico. Perhaps. Again, as someone who has lived through them, I have a certain perspective as to sensationalized news coverage. But billions in profits versus a couple thousand for footage? They have the money to spare, it's peanuts to them. It's odd.

Misinformation? No. Questions? You betcha.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:49 PM

1,643 posts, read 944,248 times
It's probably not as easy as 15k to send a plane.... especially after 2 hurricanes just came through and ripped places to pieces.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:28 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Evening Puerto Rico radar, I added white circle around eye wall (contains the highest winds, where the hurricane wind speed comes from, highest only around the eye and less elsewhere, typically the NorthEast corner of this eyewall has the strongest wind), added blue circle around the next heavy wind/rain band that will contain high winds but not as high as the eyewall (if hurricane go's into Eyewall Replacement Cycle (ERC) then this ring will shrink down around the eye and become(replace) the eyewall which basically changes the hurricanes batteries and allows it to maintain strength or become stronger when complete, during an ERC it usually weakens the storm a tad or maintain strength until complete), and the orange marked void to the right is just out of range of that radar/mode.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:55 PM

What? Holy crap. 101.1°C is actually 182°F not 212, but still, crazy difference just 12 miles away.

Temperature gradients breed pressure gradients. Pressure gradients breed wind.

https://twitter.com/AccuFrank/status/910314822935416834

Old 09-19-2017, 08:08 PM

10pEST/AST 19Sept2017: Winds 175mph, moving WNW 10mph, pressure 909mb. 87mph gust measured on St. Croix while ago.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:20 PM

Good point here.

https://twitter.com/HenryMargusity/s...27719019376640

Old 09-19-2017, 08:26 PM

I use these forecasts maps all the time.. Ive never seen this. Yikes!

https://twitter.com/MikeZaccardi/sta...17688752427008

Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 PM

At pressure of 909mb, Maria is now the 10th lowest pressure reading of an Atlantic basin hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes